Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #1

When would you go?

Enjoying the recent thread on pulling a FW in snow gets me wondering. We want to take a spring trip from WI to Utah, Moab area. F250 diesel, 4WD, 10K pound 28.5 RSTS. We've pulled snowmobile trailers in blizzards etc for many years but have never pulled anything UP and Down the mountains in the winter. Knowing there is no definite answer: to those that have driven I70 through the mountains knowing how late they can still get bunches of snow when would YOU plan a trip through the mountains and expect a 'reasonable chance" that you'd be able to have clear roads?

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #2

I tow up and down I-70 through the tunnel past Vail and Eagle, back to Denver, south to Texas etc... every month of the year.

It's all about trip planning. It is 65, sunny and dry as a perfect spring day here right now.

I'd have no problems at all heading out at this exact moment. I would not wait for tomorrow though (expecting a storm). If you have some major flexibility in when you get back home, you should be able to take your camper out the entire year. Even when we get a major storm, the interstates are usually dry within a few days.

I would add that we don't run our plumbing system this time of year for obvious reasons and that is actually a bigger factor in our sesonal plans than anything else.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #3

We camp host in Carbondale, CO (in between Glenwood Springs and Aspen) ever summer. 70 generally is ok mid April but you never know what will happen on the front range (Denver side) and Vail pass. Climbing from Denver to Vail Pass is approx. 80 miles and the first 40 some miles are a pretty good grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel. You're going from 5,280 (Denver) to 10,000 feet +- (Vail).

After vail pass it is pretty easy driving and once you are west of Glenwood Springs it really no issue at all headed to Moab. After the grizzly creek fire last year, Glenwood Canyon can be dicey depending on weather. So much burned that a lot of rain or any run off causes slides and can shut down 70.

I personally would not go before mid April and would also have chains. Commercial trucks are required to have them until I believe mid May.
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Carry chains with you, and drive as the conditions let you, if not park and enjoy till conditions improve. Gear up is usual gear down. If the light is flashing for chains, that's what you do.
Truckers have a schedule, you don't (special if retired) - Safety always comes first!
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #5

As you said there’s no guarantee or magic ball to really say for sure, we’ve seen quite a bit of snow before on memorial weekend(not very often), I have seen snow around Easter quite often. If it were me I would lean towards the latter part of April, and I would probably leave a bonus day in your trip just in case you do hit weather to sit it out somewhere for a day until it passes. Good luck and enjoy your trip. Oh also Moab gets really crowded around Easter with the Jeep safaris.
CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch

Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Moab in a jeep is a bucket list item, just like attending koh.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote