Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-03-2021, 02:41 PM   #1
Member
 
davolson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NW Wisconsin
Posts: 87
When would you go?

Enjoying the recent thread on pulling a FW in snow gets me wondering. We want to take a spring trip from WI to Utah, Moab area. F250 diesel, 4WD, 10K pound 28.5 RSTS. We've pulled snowmobile trailers in blizzards etc for many years but have never pulled anything UP and Down the mountains in the winter. Knowing there is no definite answer: to those that have driven I70 through the mountains knowing how late they can still get bunches of snow when would YOU plan a trip through the mountains and expect a 'reasonable chance" that you'd be able to have clear roads?
__________________
Dave Lisa and Katie
2018 28.5 RSTS
2017 F250 6.7D


davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:49 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,578
I tow up and down I-70 through the tunnel past Vail and Eagle, back to Denver, south to Texas etc... every month of the year.

It's all about trip planning. It is 65, sunny and dry as a perfect spring day here right now.

I'd have no problems at all heading out at this exact moment. I would not wait for tomorrow though (expecting a storm). If you have some major flexibility in when you get back home, you should be able to take your camper out the entire year. Even when we get a major storm, the interstates are usually dry within a few days.

I would add that we don't run our plumbing system this time of year for obvious reasons and that is actually a bigger factor in our sesonal plans than anything else.
__________________
2016 27BHS Elite
2012 F-150 EcoBoost / Max Tow (Sold)
2017 'Blue Jeans' 6.2 F-250 Lariat 4.3 gears.
bansai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 02:54 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
bill3kirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Lawtey
Posts: 205
We camp host in Carbondale, CO (in between Glenwood Springs and Aspen) ever summer. 70 generally is ok mid April but you never know what will happen on the front range (Denver side) and Vail pass. Climbing from Denver to Vail Pass is approx. 80 miles and the first 40 some miles are a pretty good grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel. You're going from 5,280 (Denver) to 10,000 feet +- (Vail).

After vail pass it is pretty easy driving and once you are west of Glenwood Springs it really no issue at all headed to Moab. After the grizzly creek fire last year, Glenwood Canyon can be dicey depending on weather. So much burned that a lot of rain or any run off causes slides and can shut down 70.

I personally would not go before mid April and would also have chains. Commercial trucks are required to have them until I believe mid May.
__________________
Bill K
2018 North Point 377RLBH, Roadmaster Comfort Ride, Dexter E-Z Flex Suspension, Flexair 21k Pinbox
2017 Ford F350 Lariat CC DRW LB 6.7, Air Lift 7500XL with Air Lift dual channel wireless
bill3kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:28 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
ALJO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Sparwood, BC
Posts: 2,793
Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Carry chains with you, and drive as the conditions let you, if not park and enjoy till conditions improve. Gear up is usual gear down. If the light is flashing for chains, that's what you do.
Truckers have a schedule, you don't (special if retired) - Safety always comes first!
__________________
2014 Ram 1500 CrewCab 4x4 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Rear and Air Lift 1000
2005 Jayco Jay Feather LGT - 29Y GVWR-7000 lbs.
Dexter Axle Lift 4-9/16" - installed with sub-frame.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Ringneks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: UTAH
Posts: 180
As you said there’s no guarantee or magic ball to really say for sure, we’ve seen quite a bit of snow before on memorial weekend(not very often), I have seen snow around Easter quite often. If it were me I would lean towards the latter part of April, and I would probably leave a bonus day in your trip just in case you do hit weather to sit it out somewhere for a day until it passes. Good luck and enjoy your trip. Oh also Moab gets really crowded around Easter with the Jeep safaris.
__________________
2018 North Point 315 Rlts
2020 GMC 3500HD CCSRWLB
SOLD-2016 Gmc 3500 Denali SRW Dmax
CURT FACTORY ball with the Andersen hitch

Ringneks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: High ridge
Posts: 200
Moab in a jeep is a bucket list item, just like attending koh.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.