Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-31-2016, 02:34 PM   #1
TLG

Where is the rear camera switch

Picked up the new FBTS last Wednesday. Have an appointment Monday to get the Goodyears put on. Planning on adding the Voyager camera myself. I emailed Jayco customer service and they said the power wire is taped to the wire on the middle rear clearance light. They also said the switch is in the battery compartment. I haven't checked for the power wire yet, but I cannot locate any switch in that compartment. Anyone have a 2016 that can point me in the right direction? Also, any install tips from someone who has added the camera appreciated. Thanks, Tom
TLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:16 PM   #2

Prewire is kind of a misnomer. The camera will be connected to the hot wire of the marker lights. If you have the camera box pre mounted you will have to remove the cover and the mount to find the wire. You have to turn your lights on to activate the camera because it is wired to the marker lights on your unit. I am not sure about a switch. Ours will not work with reverse. We have to turn our headlights on which turns the marker lights on, It is pretty easy to install. Hope this is helpful.

ninjahbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLG View Post
Picked up the new FBTS last Wednesday. Have an appointment Monday to get the Goodyears put on. Planning on adding the Voyager camera myself. I emailed Jayco customer service and they said the power wire is taped to the wire on the middle rear clearance light. They also said the switch is in the battery compartment. I haven't checked for the power wire yet, but I cannot locate any switch in that compartment. Anyone have a 2016 that can point me in the right direction? Also, any install tips from someone who has added the camera appreciated. Thanks, Tom
During a different discussion with a Jayco engineer we started talking about the camera wire and he told me the switch should be in the water docking station
I didn't have a switch and we came to the conclusion that it was because my build date was early.
Obviously if you had one in your docking station you would have noticed, so maybe you had an early build date?

Edit... I just noticed you said you just picked up your rig. That cancels out an early build date.
Check the docking station.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #4
TLG

It's not in there. There's a plug that looks like a 12 volt connector, probably for solar prep. From the stickers on the camper, it appears to have a 12/15 build date. The plot thickens.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:02 PM   #5

My HT has a switch in the front wall of the battery compartment and a big sticker on the door for the wireless camera.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #6
TLG

No sticker and I don't see the switch. Customer service checked the serial number and said it was supposed to be there. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:55 PM   #7

The switch is in the battery box compartment on the right hand wall (wall facing truck). I had a camera installed on my trailer, which I just picked up on Monday. I am learned a lot about cameras lately as the camera I requested and paid for was not the one installed on my trailer. I went with the Furrion camera system but the dealership installed the cheaper version that is back up only (12) and not the observation model (48) that I request. I am 2.5 hours away from dealership and trying to work issue out (waiting for a call back / answer to my email). Seems they forgot now that they have my check! Also, I spoke to the furrion rep and the camera should be wired to clearance lights as constant power will burn up the camera as they are seeing this in the field for warranty returns.
tledwards25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:08 PM   #8
TLG

Do we have the same model. Pinnacle 36FBTS. My batteries are in the front storage compartment. Just checked again, I'm not seeing no switch or sticker. I starting to think somebody forgot something on the assemble line.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #9

Sorry - I have a 29.5bhds so maybe in another spot if yours has it. Mine had the sticker on the compartment door. I would wire it up to the clearance lights anyway
tledwards25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:23 AM   #10

Which Voyager model are you looking at? We like the 7-inch screen set-up. What about other camera system? Have you looked at other brands/models?

We want to have ours done as well before July.

Quote:
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
TLG

Was looking at the one with the 5 inch screen. Camping world and Amazon have them for about 500.00. I'm afraid the 7 inch might be too distracting while driving
Old 04-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #12

Thanks. We're also looking at the Tadi Bros camera system as well. Our truck's dash is so huge that I don't think the 7-inch will be too large. We like the Tadi system as we can add side cameras into the same display.

Quote:
Was looking at the one with the 5 inch screen. Camping world and Amazon have them for about 500.00. I'm afraid the 7 inch might be too distracting while driving
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 12:25 PM   #13

I have no switch but I know the camera is hot all the time since u can plus the head unit into the lighter socket in the bedroom and have a security camera
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 05:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
I have no switch but I know the camera is hot all the time since u can plus the head unit into the lighter socket in the bedroom and have a security camera
Rock
That's why the Jayco engineer said they put in the switch so you could have the option of staying hot all the time.
Seems to make sense for boondocking.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #15

Can someone with the factory installed camera tell me how far below the roof the camera is mounted. I want to make sure I hit the blocking when I screw my camera in.
Old 04-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #16
TLG

Well, I've went over this bad boy from end to end. There ain't "no stinking" switch in those compartments. The only sticker is the one beside the bedroom TV that says it is wired. I'm sure I saw the switch in the battery compartment of the FLSA that was parked beside mine on the lot, but I'm convinced I don't have it. Again, thanks for all the input.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #17

klassic
If I ever get mine back I will let u know. I again requested the water and electrical diagrams. I will bet some units are wired right to a fuse an no switch. Look at the stereo u can remove power without pulling a fuse.
Rock
Old 04-04-2016, 01:17 PM   #18
TLG

Received an email from Jayco customer service today. He said they just received word today that there is no longer a switch being used in this system. The camera is always powered and the only way to shut the monitor off is to unplug it. Seems to me the best way to wire it is into the running light. At least it won't be drawing power constantly. Also, I was wondering if you couldn't just eliminate the middle running light and run the camera power wire through the same hole. Might need a different grommet, but it would save drilling a 3/4 inch hole in the rear cap.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #19

So your build date is 12/15 and mine was 07/15 neither have a switch.
They just put in a switch for a couple months?
What kind of business is that.

Ask them where you can find the other end of the wire so you can install your own 50 cent switch.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:00 PM   #20

klassic
When I get mine back I will start pulling fuses and see which is powering the camera and also the stereo. than switches go in