Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2016, 08:33 AM   #1

Where to connect charge controller?

Just bought a 2016 Eagle HT 27.5 with solar prep. Where do I attach the charge controller and would it be the same place for the roof mount as well as the side mount ports?
Clifford07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

The side port is a 12v direct feed to (or from) the battery. Since my panels are 39.4v output I use this connection as a supply to run my macerator pump. Test yours with a circuit tester to confirm...

The roof connections run (with 8ga wire) to a location that Jayco describes as the "behind the rearmost front storage bulkhead", where the controller mount is anticipated to be. I'm planning out my solar install to do when the weather breaks, and I plan on extending these, to get the controller even closer to the batteries, to maximize charging efficiency.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. There are several black and white wires connected to the battery (3 white on the negative and 2 black on the positive) I always thought black goes to negative. Am I wrong about that? I can test each one to see which are connected to the side port. There is no way to trace the wires from the side port to the battery. Is there a way to get a wiring diagram for my rig? I would like to know what ALL the wires are for.

I did find the wiring for the roof port in the bottom right storage cabinet. There are 2 pair of red and black wires. The 8 gauge is for the roof. The smaller pair, I found, is for the awning lights.
Clifford07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 PM   #4

I always thought black goes to negative. Am I wrong about that?

If it were only DC, then yes. But as it is 120/240AC and 12 volt DC then it is different.
In the AC world Black (for Death) supplies the current, White is Neutral or return/ground.
That said the way they use Black for DC Positive gives the same result if you short a Black to ground, SPARKS lots of sparks.
Being a simple, some would say slow, kind of guy, I have red tape on the ends of Black cable/wire that is carrying 12 volt Positive.

Hope that helps and not confuses

2004 Designer 31RLS
2000 F350 Lariat 7.3L Dually 4 Door Long Bed
KiwiBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiBruce View Post
I always thought black goes to negative. Am I wrong about that?
Being a simple, some would say slow, kind of guy, I have red tape on the ends of Black cable/wire that is carrying 12 volt Positive.

Hope that helps and not confuses
I wish JAYCO would put a red band on the BLACK cable, it would eliminate a lot of the new members or older ones (like me) that may have forgotten that BLACK is POSSITIVE from blowing fuses.

As for the SOLAR run, the longest leg should be between the SOLAR panels and the SOLAR charge controller (highest voltage least amount of voltage drop) and the SOLAR charge controller should be as close to the batteries as possible (shortest cable run). Also the inverter should be as close to the batteries as possible.

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #6

My white wires have tiny - stickers on them.
Still I messed up once.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford07 View Post
Thanks for the info. There are several black and white wires connected to the battery (3 white on the negative and 2 black on the positive) I always thought black goes to negative. Am I wrong about that? I can test each one to see which are connected to the side port. There is no way to trace the wires from the side port to the battery. Is there a way to get a wiring diagram for my rig? I would like to know what ALL the wires are for.

I did find the wiring for the roof port in the bottom right storage cabinet. There are 2 pair of red and black wires. The 8 gauge is for the roof. The smaller pair, I found, is for the awning lights.
Clifford, we recently bought an Eagle 27.5 RLST, and I am currently trying to install a small 15w panel on the roof. I have not been able to find the wires as you did. I contacted Jayco and GoSolar, but could not obtain any guidance. I was able to determine that the connectors are MC-4, but have not gone beyond that. Any information and pictures you can provide would be very appreciated! Thank you.
gemib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

Did you look behind the wall of your basement?
Mine are coiled up and hanging. In the general area of the GoPower template that is screwed to the wall

Look for something like this
They are taped and labeled "solar option"
Old 02-24-2016, 09:01 PM   #9

I will check. THANK YOU!
gemib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #10

I have a 2016 28.5RSTS Eagle HT and trying to find where to connect everything as well. I called Go Power and they said the wires are 10G. Jayco had said that the wires should be behind the slide-out/water control panel, but I haven't been able to find them. I haven't found a Go-Power template anywhere yet!
Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 12:22 PM   #11

Is that pic near the water valves? Or more towards the front towards the battery?
Kevlar119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 01:15 PM   #12

That pic is a piece of 2x2 under the stairs
Old 02-25-2016, 01:22 PM   #13

Then the wire runs to the battery area and attaches to a breaker then off to the disconnect switch where a bunch of 12v wires meet before heading off to the battery. The Eagle HT might be wired differently, but you're still going to have that breaker and the wire coming from where ever they hid your wires.
I still think you're going to have an 8ga. Look for a red 8ga wire attached to a breaker.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar119 View Post
I have a 2016 28.5RSTS Eagle HT and trying to find where to connect everything as well. I called Go Power and they said the wires are 10G. Jayco had said that the wires should be behind the slide-out/water control panel, but I haven't been able to find them. I haven't found a Go-Power template anywhere yet!
I'm not sure which ends you are looking for, but according to Jayco standards and options it has roof top and ground Solar Prep.
As I was told by a Jayco salesman the ground connection is for a smaller system that is plugged in and unplugged, for that they use a small ASE connector mounted at about hip to waist height somewhere toward the front.

Now the roof top should be for a more permanent solar panel with the MC4 connector and the GoPower template.

As for the other end it should be very close to the batteries but not connected to the batteries as you should be installing a solar charge controller between the end of the leads and the battery.
I would start at the batteries and follow the wires back to the 120 to 12 volt converter/charger, hopefully you will find the solar prep wires tagged and hung on a nail in with all the other wires.

If you would like to skype me when you are at the camper some time we can go thru it together, as sometimes it's just a matter of knowing what you are seeing. It took me ages to find the roof end of the solar prep wires in my 2004 Designer.

2004 Designer 31RLS
2000 F350 Lariat 7.3L Dually 4 Door Long Bed
KiwiBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

The picture above is of the other end and it IS attached to the batteries