Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #1

Where to mount the solar controller

Hi all,
I have a 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS. I bought the trailer used and I think the previous owner may have removed the sticker for the location of where the controller should go. Anybody have that info for this particular unit? TIA.
riddleswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:10 PM   #2

I have a 27.5 RTLS and the sticker was on the bathroom wall in the hallway, though I did not use it. Solar controllers need to be closer to the battery from what I have heard and read so I installed my in the just behind the battery on the wall.
Trailgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:28 AM   #3

Solar Controller location

I agree, mounting closest to the batteries is best, especially if you use a MMPT controller that can handle higher series connected panel voltages. I don't have the same trailer but my sticker and solar wires were by the main control panel just inside the door. I removed the main control panel to find the solar wires. Mine needed to be spliced as they were cut from the factory. I traced the wires from the main control panel area to the front above the battery compartment, the ground was terminated elsewhere and was not found in the group of wires. Spliced in the controller and breakers and moved the wire original mounting location on the buss bar to bypass the original 30a self resetting breaker. My controller is bluetooth and has no display other than LED lights that flash codes, easy checking on the phone app but I'm not satisfied with it's range, I have to be outside to connect. Too much metal!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210504_131425491.jpg  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #4

Several Solar Forums suggest mounting the Solar Controller as close to the battery bank as possible. I have a 19 Eagle 321 RSTS. Mounted my Renogy 60A Solar Controller to the right side of the Battery box and used the large amount of space behind it for my Solar control systems wiring and Buss Bars.. I also have 2 BB Lithium batteries behind the the peg board and mounted a two Solar Panel breaker switches in front of the batteries. The Controller is bluetooth so i can monitor charging status within 100' ranch on my iPhone. Although Lithium batteries don't need the ventilation wet cell batteries need, the peg board will provide more than needed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1582.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KIRKS RV SOLAR WIRE v4 .pdf (88.1 KB, 10 views)
kirkelli is offline   Reply With Quote