Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-28-2016, 05:29 PM   #1

Which 18k Hitch?

I'm in the process of researching a new fifth wheel.

This will be a move for us from a bumper pull so it will require a new hitch to be installed in our truck. (2009 F350 CC LB 4WD)

I don't know a lot about the hitch themselves and have been doing as much reading and research as I can. It seems like everyone has their favorites.

So far I'm looking at the Reese Titan, the B&W Patriot, or the Companion. I'm leaning towards the Companion and having a gooseneck installed should I ever need to tow a different type of trailer.

I'd like to hear from those of you who tow fifth wheels, what hitch are you using and any positives or negatives I should think about prior to making a decision.
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM   #2

With the truck you have, you should be able to use just about anything out there. Your only limitation may be the length of your truck bed, which you didn't specify. If you have an 8-ft bed, then you won't need a slider hitch. But, if you have the standard 6-foot, you may want to consider an auto slider hitch like a Reese, or a manual slider, like a B&W Companion. I have the 18k Companion, which we truly love! The downside is weight--it's fairly heavy if you ever want to take it out. We love ours because how it dampens the crosswinds, railroad tracks and pot holes.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from folks on this site. Good luck!
Queen Creek, Arizona
tularockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
With the truck you have, you should be able to use just about anything out there. Your only limitation may be the length of your truck bed, which you didn't specify. If you have an 8-ft bed, then you won't need a slider hitch. But, if you have the standard 6-foot, you may want to consider an auto slider hitch like a Reese, or a manual slider, like a B&W Companion. I have the 18k Companion, which we truly love! The downside is weight--it's fairly heavy if you ever want to take it out. We love ours because how it dampens the crosswinds, railroad tracks and pot holes.

I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback from folks on this site. Good luck!
Yes, I have a long bed truck and don't need a slider.

I realize that for the most part these hitches all do the same thing. I'm looking for ease of use and comfort in ride. Or those little subtle details that one tends to overlook because they don't know any better.

I'm not really concerned with weight in respect to removing the hitch, at the end of the day they are all heavy and for me will require a second set of hands anyway.
Rustysocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:28 PM   #4

We got a Demco Highjacker 18K autoslide to go with our F250 and Eagle FT 295BHDS.

Kind Regards;

Ingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
I'm in the process of researching a new fifth wheel.

This will be a move for us from a bumper pull so it will require a new hitch to be installed in our truck. (2009 F350 CC LB 4WD)

I don't know a lot about the hitch themselves and have been doing as much reading and research as I can. It seems like everyone has their favorites.

So far I'm looking at the Reese Titan, the B&W Patriot, or the Companion. I'm leaning towards the Companion and having a gooseneck installed should I ever need to tow a different type of trailer.

I'd like to hear from those of you who tow fifth wheels, what hitch are you using and any positives or negatives I should think about prior to making a decision.

2010 Ford F-250 XLT (traded)
2013 Keystone Laredo 294RK (traded)
ArcticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #5

I see your point. I'm thinking, for us, having a hitch that provides ride comfort (less chucking) and be able to keep the trailer steady in crosswinds and twisties, would be the one we would get. Luckily, our B&W has satisfied those needs so far for us. We also have the Mor/Ryde rubber pin box, which also help in reducing the 'chuckin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustysocket View Post
Yes, I have a long bed truck and don't need a slider.

I realize that for the most part these hitches all do the same thing. I'm looking for ease of use and comfort in ride. Or those little subtle details that one tends to overlook because they don't know any better.

I'm not really concerned with weight in respect to removing the hitch, at the end of the day they are all heavy and for me will require a second set of hands anyway.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 04-28-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

I have heard the term Chucking many times now... what does that refer too?

The B&W products seem highly rated or rather I have not read any complaints.

I just called a local hitch shop and asked if they were buying any hitch they could which one and the guy I spoke too instantly said Companion.

Crosswind stability is going to be a huge priority for me. I live in SW Washington and regularly travel through the Columbia River Gorge and across the Astoria Bridge where the winds are strong.
Old 04-28-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Another option you could consider is the Andersen Ultimate hitch.
I really like mine, and it is light and easy to remove.
Turtle Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

X2 on Andersen's Ultimate Fifth Wheel hitch
Not yet retired, but counting the months to full-timing !
ArmyColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #9

Tim,

I thought about going this route too, but decided against it. As, we couldn't find any test of how this hitch does in a heavy crosswind. If you have experienced it, can you share how your rig handled? This is where I know that the B&W will hold the rig steady.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Tim View Post
Another option you could consider is the Andersen Ultimate hitch.
I really like mine, and it is light and easy to remove.
Queen Creek, Arizona
Old 04-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tularockstar View Post
Tim,

I thought about going this route too, but decided against it. As, we couldn't find any test of how this hitch does in a heavy crosswind. If you have experienced it, can you share how your rig handled? This is where I know that the B&W will hold the rig steady.
Unfortunately, I have no experience with a traditional 5th wheel hitch.
I have not had any issues with stability towing in high winds with the Ultimate hitch. I have towed in some pretty harsh side winds in our travels, and never was uncomfortable with how it handled.
Turtle Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:37 PM   #11

We just picked up our new trailer and towed it about 400 miles back home with a B&W companion mounted in the Ram puck system (RVK3600). We drove US 395 (between southern California and Reno which gets really really windy). During our journey I think winds were about 30mph or so, and I would have had no idea other then I could see the trees really blowing, or going outside filling the truck up. The trailer was un-phased by the wind. It was completely noise free, no chucking at all. Very pleased with the hitch, and would go the same route again.
mtedelen is offline   Reply With Quote