Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #1

Which BBQ grill?

Hi,

We have a 2017 Pinnacle and need to get a portable grill ASAP. Recommendations?

Also, is there a grill that is easy to use with the propane quick release on the rear of the rig?

Thank you.
scotminn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Webber Q if you want a BBQ. Camp Chef if you want to do everything.

There are youtube videos showing the mod to convert the Webber to a quick connect.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #3

We had the weber Q and liked it, but got the portable grill from Costco and it's much better. Heats hotter faster and wind doesn't seem to effect it as much as the Q.

Any of the grills can be adapted to be used with RV connection, just need to get the correct fittings. The RV gas is already low pressure so you can't use a grill that has a regulator on it, most of the portable ones do have regulators on them. We just use a 20lb tank because we like the option of placing the grill wherever rather than near the RV fitting.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:36 AM   #4

I have a Weber Q and it works fine. I have used it a few times. I bought a complete kit to convert it so I could use it with campers propane quick release...

http://propanegear.com
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:46 AM   #5

I sold the grill Jayco provided that mounts on the trailer and bought one of these from Amazon. Its been a nice grill, no flare ups, bought optional storage bag, going strong after three seasons.

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TR...harbroil+grill
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #6

Love my Weber Q. On my third trailer with it. I recently converted it to use the LP quick connect on the my latest trailer as well as still be able to use the little bottles.
Never had any issues with wind with my Weber nor any tempature issues. If you run double regulators you would definitely have tempature and wind sensitivity.
Mine has a very heavy single cast iron grate in it. Nothing like the new ones have now. Mine is about 12 years old. They definitely cut back on the materials on the newer models!
I have the night light option on mine. I also have the folding cart. Normally I grill on the picnic table but do sometimes need to use the cart. I also converted mine to electronic ignition.
My grill and cart has fit in the basement of all three 5th wheels I've owned.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

My fiver came with the bumper mounted grill but who wants to BBQ out back in the dark. I bought a Coleman RoadTrip and refitted it to remove the reg and add a disconnect. Rerouted the gas line from the rear bumper to the side of the steps and now I can BBQ under the awning. The BBQ on it's stand fits in the basement and I installed some plywood corners to hold it in place during travel.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:06 AM   #8

Can you tell me how you converted the ignition? That's the only thing I don't like. We have an older one as well
suzieshome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzieshome View Post
Can you tell me how you converted the ignition? That's the only thing I don't like. We have an older one as well
Asking me? I use a BBQ lighter with mine to light it.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #10

Weber Q. Regulators, you do not want to run anything with two regulators inline. Take the regulator off of whatever grille you buy and add a quick disconnect. Works fine. Length of gas line is the only other concern you may have. Like Mopar Earl, mine is on the folding cart and fits well in the basement. It also detaches easy if I want to grille elsewhere. SKIDAWG
Skidawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

I have the COLEMAN ROAD TRIP and it does just great for us. Has two work ends and top grill hood. It also has a water reservoir just under the burners that makes it so easy for clean up. Mine has a nice tote with two wheels with storage space for several different grill tops. This is a two burner type and uses 1LB propane canisters.

I am not a fan of having my grill right next to the my popup trailer wall. I like to have it at a right angle to the trailer.

My trailer has a grill hookup but I have never used it. The 1LB propane canisters do just fine for us and will last several days when camping. I also have a MR BUDDY heater that uses the 1LB Canisters so always have a supply on hand.

Everyone really likes the WEBSTERS and I suspect they seal up better with their lid arrangement.

Have cooked a many meals on my ROADTRIP... No complaints...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote