Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-06-2015, 05:41 AM   #1

Which DOT GPS do you recommend?

Looking to buy one to avoid taking poor or DANGEROUS Routes towing my new rig.
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:23 AM   #2

We use a Garmin, and have it set to "RV" so it keeps us on truck routes - our 38FLSA is right about 13'6" with the maxair cover.

I also have the reverse camera option, mounted to the rear of the 5'er - what a life saver in some of these campgrounds. I've put this old girl in some tight spots with that camera set up.

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:27 AM   #3

Thanks KC...so the camera displays on the GPS screen?? What did this set up cost?
Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #4

Get 'em now before they're all gone!

Hate to say it - but standalone GPS falls into the 'obsolete technology' realm per many articles because: it comes in most new vehicles, your smart device (phone, watch, tablet) replace the need for it, and many more mapping firms are out there but not aligned to device vendors. I'm amazed at what the articles lump into this category such as feature phones, e-readers, low-end digital cameras, DVD players, recordable CDs/DVDs, video game consoles, musical devices (iPod), and the list marches on ....

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Hattie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Hate to say it - but standalone GPS falls into the 'obsolete technology' realm ....
In some regard that is very true, however a dedicated GPS offers advantages over a smart phone:
  • Doesn't drain your phone battery
  • Dedicated functionality - you're not going to call, surf the web, or play Angry Birds on your GPS
  • Much larger screen, louder volume
  • More complete GPS functionality such as lane suggestion, traffic avoidance & weather integrations
  • Specialized functionality available - RV specific, or hiking (terrain maps) for instance
  • Doesn't require Internet connection - unless you're using 100% offline maps, a 3G, 4G, or Wi-Fi network connection is required for your smart phone.

I've used my phone now for GPS for years, but I've grown weary of switching back and forth from GPS to phone/txt/email/everything-else on my phone. Plus, for us it seems that GPS on our phones has gotten WORSE for whatever reason - constantly losing our location, routing us on different courses back and forth on our journey, etc. We're on Verizon and have been experiencing the same poor performance on two different Android phones. Not sure if it has to do with poor data reception areas or the navigation app itself, but it's been extremely aggravating.
I could make coffee in my multi-use microwave, but I much prefer having a dedicated coffee maker for the task. I still use my phone for GPS when it makes sense, but for towing our RV I've decided to go the dedicated GPS route in our tow vehicle. I'm leaning toward the Garmin RV 760LMT.
freddirkse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:56 PM   #6

I'll keep the stand alone, thank you. My cell phone's GPS eats a fair amount of my data plan if used extensively. I have on board GPS in my truck (older CD based technology) that Dodge wanted $325 for updated CD's, no thanks. Bought a Garmin unit for a third of that and has lifetime updates which is good until the storage capacity is filled. Then, I'll buy another if need be.
thomasmnile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #7
Site Team

We just bought a Garmin RV360LMT. Really like it and we are learning all its features. It replaced a Garmin Street Pilot that we purchased years ago. It cost 3 times what we paid for the newest one.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:42 PM   #8

This is the solution that works for me.

We call it the red dot. It speaks to my ipad via bluetooth. I have downloaded all the maps I need to my ipad so it does not use my dataplan while on the road. Very accurate.

Great product.

Dual XGPS150A Universal Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #9

Try this $180 RV specific free life time up dates lane assist etc.
Amazon.com: Magellan RoadMate RV9145-LM - 7-Inch GPS Navigator for RVers: GPS & Navigation
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2002 Western Star 4900EX 500 Detroit 13sp.
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:05 PM   #10

If I may chime in.
I'm an ex truck driver soon to be going full time in an RV. While on the road I have used 4 or 5 different GPS systems/software for navigation. By far, the best one I have use and still have, (if I can find it in my mess), is the Garmin dezel 570lmt. It has saved my behind numerous times by keeping me from low bridges, weight restricted bridges and kept me from going on roads that I could not be on because of length limits or other laws, etc. I also used it as my speedometer. It's especially good for roads and highways that have different speed limits for cars and trucks/trailers, (like California). It will warn you if you are going to fast. Although it never let me down, I relied on the GPS and always had a large truckers map which I looked at during my down time to double check my route. The dezel 570lmt can be set up for RV travel, which is what I'm going to do. You enter the height, weight, and length of your vehicle and it will map out a route which excludes roads you can't be on. You can include whether you want to include toll roads and other features. I used mine every trip since I bought it. I have used it to find fuel stops and repair shops.
Not positive if it's the best one around, but it was a must for me. Not sure about new models, they may be better and have other features, I don't know. Just sharing my experiences.
Cholo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 PM   #11

I am in total agreement with Cholo. I love our Garmin Dezel 570lmt GPS. Worth it's weight in gold and then some. I looked at several GPS's and this I believe is the best for what I need it for. I own two other Garmins, that worked for me in the past, but ot as well as this one. I also have a navigation system on our truck, that is nearly worthless. I have used Verizon navigation on my phone, but not will towing my 5'er. I do check maps against the GPS, but so far the GPS is accurate. I like the fact that I can rely on it in areas I have never been. Makes traveling so much more enjoyable.
"Hannah" and "Jasper" our tagalong poms
KLGard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:42 PM   #12

I'm gonna get called a dinosaur, etc. but this is better than any GPS in my book. We were returning from the lake a couple weeks ago and I was looking for a shortcut to the storage site where I keep my camper. Google Maps took me on a wild goose chase that cost me about 30 miles and probably 45 minutes to an hour.

Anybody with lick of sense can look at a map and chart out a route.

GPS? Bahhh.
Attached Images

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:51 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
Hate to say it - but standalone GPS falls into the 'obsolete technology' realm per many articles
Don't get me wrong - wasn't dissing standalone GPS, only reminding we'll soon have to adjust to the looming reality!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCSA75 View Post
I'm gonna get called a dinosaur, etc. but this is better than any GPS in my book. We were returning from the lake a couple weeks ago and I was looking for a shortcut to the storage site where I keep my camper. Google Maps took me on a wild goose chase that cost me about 30 miles and probably 45 minutes to an hour.

Anybody with lick of sense can look at a map and chart out a route.

GPS? Bahhh.
I'd rather have the technology that know the size of my tow set-up and keeps me safe. I'm not saying that atlas isn't useful, it's just not a complete set of info.

I can't speak for the rest of you guys and gals, but I've got a pretty penny tied up in my 5'er and Truck - if I hit a 12'8" bridge with my 13'6" 5'er because the paper atlas said it was a valid route...I'd be pissed as hell. (pardon the language).

It's all about having the knowledge, available, and up to date to keep the risks of towing a large 5'er on public roads to an acceptable level. It's not just about getting there, it's about not getting tickets, stuck, or worse, and getting there.

2015 Jayco 38FLSA - Loaded -

B&W Companion 20K slider hitch
KC_GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_GMC View Post
We use a Garmin, and have it set to "RV" so it keeps us on truck routes - our 38FLSA is right about 13'6" with the maxair cover.

I also have the reverse camera option, mounted to the rear of the 5'er - what a life saver in some of these campgrounds. I've put this old girl in some tight spots with that camera set up.
X-2 for the Garmin 760
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2 for the Garmin 760
x3 for the Gamin RV760LMT. I think it's an RV specific version of the unit Cholo mentioned.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 04:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
x3 for the Gamin RV760LMT. I think it's an RV specific version of the unit Cholo mentioned.
I had a long talk with Garmin and the RV760lmt does not monitor propane restrictions. It will send you into restricted areas.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:16 AM   #18

Check-out this site to enhance your GPS with Route-1 at Low Clearance POI - GPS Data

Genealogy Community Social Group Moderator
Old 10-11-2015, 07:07 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
I had a long talk with Garmin and the RV760lmt does not monitor propane restrictions. It will send you into restricted areas.
Didn't realize that and good to know, thanks!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote