Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-21-2016, 04:39 AM   #1

Which GPS app do you use

Do you all have a stand alone gps or do you use your smart phone? If you use the smartphone what app do you use. Im looking for something that will show gas, tolls, low bridges, maybe even the "No propane alllowed tunnels"

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 05:27 AM   #2

I am not familiar with the app for trucking, but I do believe they exist and several on here are using some. Currently I use a Garmin DEZL 560LMT which is specific to RV and OTR truck use. This unit allows for plugging in of my dimensions, weights and plots a course on proper roads.

As far a fuel stops go I use the All stays Big Truck stops app to find fuel stops as well as this GPS.

As with all GPS you should do your homework and I also carry a Commercial Truckers Atlas which details all the limits for both heights, weights and materials by state, by road.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 07:09 AM   #3

For the most part I have given up on trying to keep my standalone GPS updated. I have at least 7 sitting on the shelf that are obsolete. The only one I spend money on anymore is a Zumo for my Goldwing and only because it's a dedicated unit designed for inclement weather and specialized routing for motorcycle rides. (I guess in theory it's what your looking for but for big rigs)

I don't have any expereince with commercial size GPS but I'd guess there is a unit out there that will do exactly what you want.

The app I use the most is Waze because it's always current, it gives me instant routing around the crappy Puget Sound traffic jams and it's free. The downside is that it's not great for rural areas where a cell signal can become spotty.
Old 07-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #4

I purchased "Navigon" for my iPhone a few years ago and have used it for all long trips. It was about $50 at the time, cheaper than a standalone GPS unit, and I always have my phone on me.

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

I still use a paper road atlas. Always made it to my destinations, but I have had a few surprises - which just added excitement to the travel adventure!
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
I still use a paper road atlas. Always made it to my destinations, but I have had a few surprises - which just added excitement to the travel adventure!
What is this _paper_ you speak of...?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old 07-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #7

For directions I use Google Maps or Waze (owned by Google). For RV-specific stuff (rest areas, truck stops, campgrounds, low bridges, etc.) I use Allstays Camp & RV.

jasoncw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:25 AM   #8
BCK

Have used several in the past but found Google Maps on my phone to be the most accurate.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 11:52 AM   #9

We use a Garmin RV 760. It has a large display and provides information on possible route problems based on the information you enter regarding your RV. So far it has served us well. It also comes with an optional backup camera which I own but have never taken out of the box. My current fiver has a camera. Anyone need a backup camera?

I don't rely on the Garmin for locating RV parks or camping friendly Walmarts, etc. I rely on Allstays for that.

Jim
Old 07-21-2016, 12:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post
We use a Garmin RV 760. It has a large display and provides information on possible route problems based on the information you enter regarding your RV. So far it has served us well. It also comes with an optional backup camera which I own but have never taken out of the box. My current fiver has a camera. Anyone need a backup camera?

I don't rely on the Garmin for locating RV parks or camping friendly Walmarts, etc. I rely on Allstays for that.

Jim
That looks like a nice unit that does exactly what the op is asking.

"Large 7" high-resolution touchscreen display: 800 x 480 pixels; WVGA TFT color display with white backlight
Includes free lifetime map and traffic updates - Provides RV-specific services and vendors, repair shops, truck stops and a comprehensive list of nationwide repair and tow facilities (including those offering after-hours road service)
Specialized RV routing based on customizable restrictions including height, weight, width and length
Cautions and advisories include risk of grounding, lateral wind, narrow road, sharp curve, steep hill, tree overhand and state borders
Voice-activated navigation means RV 760LMT responds intelligently to your verbal commands. Just talk to it. Compatible with Garmin BC 20 wireless back up camera"

I might have to spring for one and give it a try.
Old 07-21-2016, 02:16 PM   #11

My Garmin 760LMT was stolen when my truck was broken into. Switched to the TomTom app on my phone. App crashes were fairly frequent, and on a long East Coast trip found we kept on looking things up on Google Maps because TomTom couldn't find it. Eventually we just started using Google Maps directly because it was easier and more stable. Never hit a zone where it couldn't get the map imagery from the wireless network, but understand that can happen.
Would not recommend the TomTom app; I didn't renew when the 1 year subscription was up. Very happy with Google Maps but it doesn't have RV specific features. Use GasBuddy to scout out the fuel stops.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 04:56 PM   #12

Waze or CoPilot

TV = 2006 F-350 CC DRW 6.0
TT = 2018 Wildwood 31KQBTS
TT = 2007 Jayco Jay Flight 27bh - SOLD
Macrosill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 05:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdawg View Post

Jim

X2. Really like the Garmin RV 760.
When planning long trips, I use Garmin Base Camp and make sure the routing is exactly the way I want to go. I also plan my fuel stops on it as well. I use Google to find Walmarts then put the address into the Base camp. Then upload it to the GPS.

Sorry, I don't need a backup camera. That is what my mirrors and co-pilot (wife) and kids are for!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:26 AM   #14

Does the camera only work with the 760?

My Mods Page
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ods-35390.html
spepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:45 AM   #15

Google maps are fine...if you are driving a car.

We have had our Rand McNally 7710 with a 7" screen for years. No problems and updates are easy to do. If we feel the need to ever change it would be another Rand McNally.

We also carry along the Rand McNally Road Atlas for future planning.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 09:47 AM   #16

I use Apple Maps on my iPhone.
Old 07-24-2016, 10:15 AM   #17

I'm still using my old Garmin Nuvi 855. It works fine, and was very good when we had the Class B RV, since it's the size of a 1 ton van. However, now that I pull TT's, if I have to replace the Nuvi 855, I'll probably get a stand alone GPS that specializes in RV's. I'd love to be able to load my pickup size and trailer size in the GPS, and go from there.

As far as gasoline goes, Gas Buddy app on the phone is good.

My navigator always used paper maps, and particularly Rand McNally atlases. Plus she uses books like Next Exit when we're on interstates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spepi View Post
Do you all have a stand alone gps or do you use your smart phone? If you use the smartphone what app do you use. Im looking for something that will show gas, tolls, low bridges, maybe even the "No propane alllowed tunnels"

Thanks

Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote