Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-20-2020, 07:36 AM   #21

Outdoors RV is on my short list.
I have a 2011 28BHS, I believe it's built better then the current ones.

2020 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 SCLB, FX4, 6.7 Diesel
2021 NorthWood Nash 29S, OTG, Solar
2014 Ford F150 XLT 4x4 HD, SCLB, 5.0 373 SOLD
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHS SOLD
ToppDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #22

Under $100,000 MSRP and they're all the same. There's no QC at any MFG even though they will show videos and tell you they check everything out before shipping. If so then why do so many have issues during PDI?
Smoke and mirrors and more lies. I dare anyone to pull out the access panels and drawers and look behind and say theirs is a neatly configured bunch of wires or plumbing.

Sad fact of the matter is you can have 2 Northpoints (Pick any brand or model) sitting side by side on the dealers lot and one may be great and the other is the OP's.

The other issue is internet hype. Lots of misinformation and brand loyalty. Go on some brand forums and many times owners won't dis their own RV because it makes them look inferior for buying something less than perfect. Even though they themselves had nothing to do with the problems they're having.

I was a member of another brand forum and we weren't allowed to rant about our trailers. The thread would get shut down if too many piled on with disparaging remarks. So anyone that was new and reading on the forum got the impression that that MFG made great trailers because you hardly had anyone complaining. Thus the internet hype syndrome.

Then you get owners that have 8-10 issues and multiple trips to the dealer and still say they love their RV. Really?

In all honesty I really can't name any brand thats got better QC.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlclar1 View Post
We purchased a new unit 22 months ago, and it's spent 13 of those months at the dealer getting warranty work done. I'm over it and have began looking for another unit, who has better QC than Jayco?

Thanks in advance...
We've had our 2018 Pinnacle (bought new) 2 years and it seems it spent more time with the dealer than with us. The good news is we finally worked all the bugs out. We had thought we might buy something else but this is the second new trailer we had to debug so well keep it and see how it goes.
RoninAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:25 PM   #24

It’s the nature of the beast!, and luck I guess.

Sorry about your bad luck, but it’s not uncommon to go through this. We are on our 3rd RV and first one was horrible, lawyers involved, 2nd One not to bad! But you can’t beat a Jayco 2 year warranty, especially if you don’t use your rig regularly!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #25

You should have looked into the lemon laws!
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:51 PM   #26

Bought my 2016 precept right off the showroom floor, they will put the best pieces they have there.
I have had a few minor problems, nothing major!
Old 09-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlclar1 View Post
We purchased a new unit 22 months ago, and it's spent 13 of those months at the dealer getting warranty work done. I'm over it and have began looking for another unit, who has better QC than Jayco?

Thanks in advance...
Most likely Outdoors Rv
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:02 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToppDogg View Post
Outdoors RV is on my short list.
I have a 2011 28BHS, I believe it's built better then the current ones.
Agree
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:11 PM   #29

And how long do you think it will be before they're bought up by one of the larger companies? Don't be fooled they all carry their own brand name but they're only about three main owners of all RV manufacturing companies
Old 09-23-2020, 02:36 PM   #30

I've had my fair share of issues with my NP but I still enjoy it. Its all been minor issues that are more inconvenient then anything else. I agree with one post don't leave your rv at the dealer use it. Unless the issues don't allow use. I take my NP in they have a week to look at it take pictures. Then I pick it up and the wait begins. They get the okay from jayco and oder parts. When all the parts come in I take the rv back and they get it for a long weekend. I never leave it at the dealer longer then a week.

Most people think rv warranty should be more like car Warrantys and I agree but as long as people keep buying the current trash on the market and let the dealers and manufacturers get away with the "status quo" they won't change. Why should they? I asked a sales manager not long ago why outdoors rv makes a superior product for a bigger price tag but then slaps a 1 year warranty on it? His answer was they sale faster then we can get them why would they cut the price or raise the warranty coverage? He had a good point. Jayco dose the 2 years so they can claim the industry best and longest coverage. Its not that they are built any better or worse then any others its a marketing thing. In the case of entry-level I believe jayco is definitely among the best. In the higher level they are not any better or worse then anyone else. But they back their products with "fulltime" coverage, and a longer warranty. As long as dealers get away with subpar service and consumers and manufacturers let them get away with it they will keep on keeping on.

Just remember we let them do this. I'm guilty as the next guy or gal. *insider trick, call jayco directly before taking your rv in get the name of who you talked to, give that name to the dealer. There customer service people work together. They know each other. Be cool with them the dealer and the manufacturers. Make them feel sorry for you make them want to help you. Feel their pain. Sympathize with how busy they are. Believe be it helps if they like you. If they don't like you well you just get to wait...
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
I've had my fair share of issues with my NP but I still enjoy it. Its all been minor issues that are more inconvenient then anything else. I agree with one post don't leave your rv at the dealer use it. Unless the issues don't allow use. I take my NP in they have a week to look at it take pictures. Then I pick it up and the wait begins. They get the okay from jayco and oder parts. When all the parts come in I take the rv back and they get it for a long weekend. I never leave it at the dealer longer then a week.

Most people think rv warranty should be more like car Warrantys and I agree but as long as people keep buying the current trash on the market and let the dealers and manufacturers get away with the "status quo" they won't change. Why should they? I asked a sales manager not long ago why outdoors rv makes a superior product for a bigger price tag but then slaps a 1 year warranty on it? His answer was they sale faster then we can get them why would they cut the price or raise the warranty coverage? He had a good point. Jayco dose the 2 years so they can claim the industry best and longest coverage. Its not that they are built any better or worse then any others its a marketing thing. In the case of entry-level I believe jayco is definitely among the best. In the higher level they are not any better or worse then anyone else. But they back their products with "fulltime" coverage, and a longer warranty. As long as dealers get away with subpar service and consumers and manufacturers let them get away with it they will keep on keeping on.

Just remember we let them do this. I'm guilty as the next guy or gal. *insider trick, call jayco directly before taking your rv in get the name of who you talked to, give that name to the dealer. There customer service people work together. They know each other. Be cool with them the dealer and the manufacturers. Make them feel sorry for you make them want to help you. Feel their pain. Sympathize with how busy they are. Believe be it helps if they like you. If they don't like you well you just get to wait...
Well said!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 04:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
Most people think rv warranty should be more like car Warrantys and I agree but as long as people keep buying the current trash on the market and let the dealers and manufacturers get away with the "status quo" they won't change. .
That will only happen when RV's are Brand Exclusive like cars and trucks. There are very, very, very few dealers who only carry one brand.

That is one of the main reasons for the service delays. No manufacturer can tell a dealer whose rig to work on first.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #33

Have you tried invoking the lemon law in your state. This would be my first line of action... A lawsuit would be another option. Final recourse is what your doing.
I found that Forest River and Coachmen Have excellent quality. Last unit from them only had 2 minor issues which were correctable. Look at them.
txauditr-ret. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 05:37 PM   #34

My Pinnacle has been at the Jayco Dealership since January 2020 to get a scratch down the side and the rear ladder replaced. Required some minor fiberglass repair, painting and decal replacement. It is now September and I still cannot get a completion date from the Jayco Dealer. Not only am I done with the Dealership, I am done with Jayco. My next 5th Wheel will be a Grand Design.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:06 PM   #35

Quote:
Under $100,000 MSRP and they're all the same.
This is true. It's a big reason you need to be handy with tools. It is what it is for the money. If I stay in RV'ing I'm gonna go big or go home. It'll be the last one at my age.
t18skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #36

I love to see posters say I'm done with jayco my next rv is gonna be grand design.. lol you mean a winnebago? Hate to to tell you but its basically the same thing with a bigger price tag and a shorter warranty. And maybe if your having service issues take it to a different dealer. How is a service issues the manufacturers fault? I have a friend with a solitude and they have had more issues with that then I have had with my northpoint. Only difference is their issues have prevented use where mine haven't. Go buy an rv with hydraulic slides and landing gear. Yep one hydraulic leak and nothing works and the best part is his landing gear bleed off so after about a week the front of his rv is sitting on the ground. And his slides are all stuck out. I've once overed the grande design a few times and I'll tell you im not impressed. One example is go shake the island. My northpoint is rock solid all the solitudes I've been in not so much. If they can't build and island to be solid what else is built like that? That you can't see?. Good luck
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:01 AM   #37

I agree. Under 100K are all about the same. Walking through different models, I can’t see much difference. I chose Jayco for the floor plan and dealer access.

As far as long sits at the dealer, I’m in the camp of pull it if feasible when waiting on parts. We’ve had many little things I’ve needed to address on our unit, but nothing that prevents us from using it. Also, I can’t say I’m impressed with the quality of my Jayco, but really it’s just that I’m not impressed with quality of RV’s overall.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #38

Somehow, I feel a little better reading the above comments. We're not alone! I do have to say, though, that although very nearly every electronic component has been replaced at least once in the 2 years since we got our Melbourne, Jayco and our dealer honored the warranty on every item.

The first year it spent more time at the dealer than at home, but our last few trips have been blessedly uneventful.

Love it, when it works!
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 01:41 PM   #39

we are in agreement with TX. They all have their short comings. Especially now that they can sell anything. Our experience over the years is Keystone put under designed landing gears in Montana's as explained by the landing gear maker. They wouldn't provide piping or wiring diagrams. Then when I told them about the door breaking the electrical outlet when some thing was plugged in their response was "We're professional trailer makers. We don't want or need your input." Holiday Rambler TT was great. One warranty repair and no problems for 5 years. They gave us a full set of wiring and piping diagrams. Sorry we traded it. Our Fleetwood lasted 15 years until it was totaled by a hailstorm. We replaced the fridge, water heater, and the fan in the furnace. Not bad considering we full timed in it 6 years. Our Northpoint has had 52 problems and now the landing gears are squeaking. DW hates it and doesn't want to camp anymore. I guess there won't be another and I'll be going by myself, if at all. My thoughts, look at Holiday Rambler. At least they, HR, and Keystone did not use paper covered particle boad for wood work.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:44 PM   #40

We're about where you are with our 2019 Pinnacle. It's been an experience I never want to repeat. The latest: We dropped off at the dealer for shipment back to Jayco (per their instructions) on Aug 31. We were supposed to pick it up in Middlebury, IN on Oct 9. IT'S STILL SITTING AT THE DEALER (an hour from where we live) and Jayco sends me a note that it will now be picked up sometime before November 15! Great - it was nice of them to let us know. We had been planning our trip back there - 1,800+ miles from Tucson. They also said it may not be ready on Nov 15 due to their "backlog", so who knows when we'll get it back. So much for enjoying the fall season with it.

Regarding other makes that are better:

Arctic Fox (that's what we had before Jayco and it was great)
Luxe (very expensive)
New Horizons (very expensive)
Vanleigh (division of Tiffin)
DDRV (expensive)
Alliance (new brand getting great reviews)

Best of luck! RV ownership always has it's share of challenges, but it should be mostly pleasure, not pain!
tfoliver is offline   Reply With Quote