Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-18-2020, 12:13 PM   #1

Which Manufacture

We purchased a new unit 22 months ago, and it's spent 13 of those months at the dealer getting warranty work done. I'm over it and have began looking for another unit, who has better QC than Jayco?

Thanks in advance...
Jerlclar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:50 PM   #2

Wowsers, that must have been pretty bad, and sucked up a bunch of your time, too. I've had a couple of Jayco products now, and I have to say, I have been most impressed with the Jayco ones, compared to my other three TT's.

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:53 PM   #3

Someone else said having an RV is a love-hate relationship. It's love when it works and hate when it's broken. We've had our Northpoint for 2 years. Every time we took it out a bunch of things failed; total count 52. Right now we are waiting on more parts. However, we went camping anyway. So, it may be you have things fixed. Depending on what has failed you may be over the hump. If you trade it you'll take it in the shorts. One other thing is the PDI. Did you do one? Part of our problems was the guy doing it lied about things that were broken. Don't trust them. Check everything. At their site spend the night in it. Don't give them over $100 to prep it and don't pay them until the stuff is fixed. Good luck. All trailer makers are pretty much crappy.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #4

13 months! Have you contacted Jayco? Did the dealer provide any explanations? I've heard of months, but 13, wow!
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
13 months! Have you contacted Jayco? Did the dealer provide any explanations? I've heard of months, but 13, wow!
Chuck,
The dealer had ours 6 weeks at a time because Jayco didn't have the parts. They wouldn't take them off the assembly line and we had to wait. 12 months at the dealer. They were happy because they could show it. Ours would be there now, but we took it home to wait for ph parts. One month so far.
Old 09-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #6

That really sucks! I too would be calling and emailing both Jayco and the Dealer on a regular bases. 13 months seems like a long time. Can I ask what type of issues you are having.

As for better than Jayco. Honestly I do not know. What I like about Jayco is the 2 year warranty. All the others seem to have a 1 year warranty.

Have you gone online and scene if the dealership has a bad service history. Lot of dealers are good at selling, bad at fixing. Selling dealer maintenance shop is key when purchasing an RV. They do not like fixing a rig they did not sell, and some like Camping World (generalization) is just bad at fixing anything.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerlclar1 View Post
snip...... I'm over it and have began looking for another unit, who has better QC than Jayco?........snip
Tough question in the RV industry..., but 3 years ago Grand Design (Reflection) and Northwood Manufacturing (Arctic Fox Classic) were on my short list.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Chuck,
The dealer had ours 6 weeks at a time because Jayco didn't have the parts. They wouldn't take them off the assembly line and we had to wait. .
They never have taken parts from the production line. I think you will find that few, if any, do that. Even the Factory Service Center has to order parts for each job.
Old 09-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #9

Check your state, some have lemon laws. Most times they only apply to motor vehicles but you might luck out. Also, legal remedies?

I would know everyone by first name by now at the Jayco home office.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 02:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Check your state, some have lemon laws. Most times they only apply to motor vehicles but you might luck out. Also, legal remedies?

If the dealer is back-logged like many are, LL wouldn't apply. Just like JAYCO can't do anything either since most dealers sell multiple brands and have no control over how the dealer schedules.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They never have taken parts from the production line. I think you will find that few, if any, do that. Even the Factory Service Center has to order parts for each job.
If they couldn't get parts in under 6 weeks they have a problem.. when I was a project manager those vendors did nots get my business. Apparently Jayco. Just doesn't care after the sale. Besides if the dealer has it for 12 months the warranty is only a year.
Old 09-18-2020, 03:47 PM   #12

Quote:
If they couldn't get parts in under 6 weeks they have a problem.. when I was a project manager those vendors did nots get my business. Apparently Jayco. Just doesn't care after the sale. Besides if the dealer has it for 12 months the warranty is only a year.
When you only have a handful of vendors due to mergers and buyouts you really don't have a choice. The entire RV Industry relies on the same limited number of vendors. Look at the recent FORD 7.3 debacle and FORD has total control...
Old 09-18-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

No, they apply to RVs also. Don't ask how I know.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 04:20 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
No, they apply to RVs also. Don't ask how I know.
But you have a motorized unit. It makes a difference in some states.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
When you only have a handful of vendors due to mergers and buyouts you really don't have a choice. The entire RV Industry relies on the same limited number of vendors. Look at the recent FORD 7.3 debacle and FORD has total control...
Yeah, there are only a handful of vendors for radios, tv's, ovens, stovetops, regulators, Additionally, when we bought large stuff with limited vendors we were smart enough to spec the machine, and specify parts availability. We had a local consignment inventory that we didn't pay for until we took the part. So running a company like a happening with no parts for existing customers for six weeks is acceptable. I wish I had discovered the rv industry instead of the customer driven business I was in. I would have been able to be home rather than at customers.. Because Ford screwed up doesn't make it right. Besides I am familiar with Ford's analysis and their systems of continuous improvement and am certain that will not happen again. Equating one boo-boo with an industry that consistently puts out defective product is not totally logical.. ,As far as I'm concerned, the rv makers are terrible and can get away with what they are. Thanks to Covid they can sell anything to a bunch of noobies that don't know what a PDI is.Darn the customer and full speed ahead.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Yeah, there are only a handful of vendors for radios, tv's, ovens, stovetops, regulators, Additionally, when we bought large stuff with limited vendors we were smart enough to spec the machine, and specify parts availability. We had a local consignment inventory that we didn't pay for until we took the part. So running a company like a happening with no parts for existing customers for six weeks is acceptable. I wish I had discovered the rv industry instead of the customer driven business I was in. I would have been able to be home rather than at customers.. Because Ford screwed up doesn't make it right. Besides I am familiar with Ford's analysis and their systems of continuous improvement and am certain that will not happen again. Equating one boo-boo with an industry that consistently puts out defective product is not totally logical.. ,As far as I'm concerned, the rv makers are terrible and can get away with what they are. Thanks to Covid they can sell anything to a bunch of noobies that don't know what a PDI is.Darn the customer and full speed ahead.
The PDI or lack there of has been an issue for quite a few years now. As you said, it is probably worse now than ever. I cringe every time I hear a new owner refer to their PDI as a "walk through" or even worse, someone talking about the punch list that they have for warranty repairs that they discovered after taking delivery. I can't help but think that the vast majority of those issues could have been avoided with a proper PDI.

I've posted this here many times before, but I personally looked at my current trailer no less than 3 times before any money changed hands. Each time I went back to the dealer, I made sure that things that I found the previous trip were fixed before any money changed hands or I signed anything. It actually got to the point where the owner asked me "What do I need to do to get you to leave with this thing".

With that said, it has been back to the dealer exactly once in four camping seasons now for a recall on the LED lights. There have been a couple of things that came up that I fixed on my own, leaking faucet, outdoor kitchen drawer struts, etc. But, there were no major areas of concern when it came home and I can't help but think it was because I did my legwork during the extended PDI process and I chose a dealer that took the buying process seriously.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:07 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I can't help but think it was because I did my legwork during the extended PDI process and I chose a dealer that took the buying process seriously.
Bingo......Our dealer always scheduled 1 1/2 hrs for the PDI with a customer. Tanks full, water & elec connected.
Old 09-19-2020, 05:37 PM   #18

Back to the op's original question: Who has better QC than Jayco. Answer is New Horizons and a few other like high end manufacturers which I can't remember the names. You need a bunch of money as they are expensive and a really big truck to pull most of them. Some lesser cost ones maybe DRV and Riverstone but still more expensive than Jayco and the like and somewhat heavy. In our Pinnacle's price range we felt that probably an Arctic Fox by Northwoods Mfg. could be the better quality just because their frame is house built. But, they don't have auto level, don't offer a residential fridge and are mainly in the western part of the US. After that, it's kind of take your pick and hope for the best.

We have been totally satisfied with our Pinnacle. Tows well, heats well, cools well and everything works. The only issue has been a locked ac compressor which occurred in the first week and was immediately replaced. Our PDI took 3 hours. Even though this is our 6th fifth wheel the guy doing the PDI would not skip a thing, even though he knew my experience level. He did nothing but PDI's for the dealership and really knew his stuff. It may fall apart tomorrow but right now we are totally satisfied with our purchase.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #19

Unless your issues absolutely prevent you from using your RV, like roof leaks or a slide that won’t work, don’t leave your rig at the dealership just wasting away. Take it back and use it while the dealership waits for the parts to come in. That’s what we are doing right now. The parts backlog is only half of the issue. It is taking Jayco a couple of weeks just to authorize warranty claims right now. Patience is required for RV’ers. [emoji16]
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 07:09 AM   #20

Luxe, Vanleigh, DRV Elite Suites, just to name a few.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote