Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #1

Which Morryde cord reel for 377?

Looking to take advantage of some black friday sales even before my 377 arrives.

For main electrical cord, which Morryde cord reel model should I be looking at?

Thanks.

Todd
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 02:05 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
Looking to take advantage of some black friday sales even before my 377 arrives.

For main electrical cord, which Morryde cord reel model should I be looking at?

Thanks.

Todd
Hi Todd,

I would say the Reel56-001H - Tweety's has the best price I was able to find.

DW just bought one for me for Christmas.
Old 11-22-2017, 02:53 PM   #3

That’s the one I installed a couple of years ago. It makes handling a cold power cord a snap.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #4

Thanks. Where did y'all mount it?
Old 11-22-2017, 09:27 PM   #5

For some reason I we under the impression the 2018s came with a reel. Either way, the best mounting job I saw was on the top of the cargo bay next to the utility Bay. The post I saw on it said it worked amazingly in that upside position.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
RKusina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKusina View Post
For some reason I we under the impression the 2018s came with a reel. Either way, the best mounting job I saw was on the top of the cargo bay next to the utility Bay. The post I saw on it said it worked amazingly in that upside position.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
All the photos I've seen online of 2018s for sale, most don't show a reel. Some do, but I think those are dealer installed, like the MORryde drawer. Of course, there is a markup somewhere in the selling price to cover that...

I vaguely remember seeing the upside down install, too. I like that idea. I assume lag bolts into the plywood coach floor?
Old 11-23-2017, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKusina View Post
... the best mounting job I saw was on the top of the cargo bay next to the utility Bay. The post I saw on it said it worked amazingly in that upside position.
That type of installation would be very interesting to see.
I haven't been able to find that post yet, so if anyone does, please post a link.

The only one I've found was for installing a power cord real (see post # 15). I don't think this is what you're referring to, is it?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:29 PM   #8

The upside down cord reel was mounted to a piece of plywood which was then screwed into the aluminum floor joists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
The upside down cord reel was mounted to a piece of plywood which was then screwed into the aluminum floor joists.
Thanks Tom,

You wouldn't happen to know if there's a picture on the forum of this?

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Thanks Tom,

You wouldn't happen to know if there's a picture on the forum of this?

Happy Thanksgiving.

Yes there is a picture somewhere but I can’t seem to find it. I remember seeing someone do it a while ago. If i remember, his was mounted next to the water bay with the handle on the left.

Happy thanksgiving to you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:11 AM   #11

Mine is screwed to the floor of the basement on the driver’s side. I thought about mounting it over head but don’t recall why I didn’t.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B
Old 11-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #12

Cord reels are great and I plan on getting one myself. A word of caution though which my 35 years in the electrical industry gives me. When under heavy load as both AC’s and other appliances going and especially on hot days a coiled cord will heat up. Heat is the enemy of electricity. The hotter the cord voltage will drop and amperage will go up making the cord even hotter. I’ve seen melted cords and burned up motors from these conditions. Under these conditions spool off all your cord and lay it under the RV in an “S” pattern so the cord can at least only be subjected to the ambient temperature of the ground and air.
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
Cord reels are great and I plan on getting one myself. A word of caution though which my 35 years in the electrical industry gives me. When under heavy load as both AC’s and other appliances going and especially on hot days a coiled cord will heat up. Heat is the enemy of electricity. The hotter the cord voltage will drop and amperage will go up making the cord even hotter. I’ve seen melted cords and burned up motors from these conditions. Under these conditions spool off all your cord and lay it under the RV in an “S” pattern so the cord can at least only be subjected to the ambient temperature of the ground and air.
Wise advice, but the reel for the 377 would just be for storage, not for use. The basement is too far away from the main connector, which is at rear left corner, to allow permanent connection while coiled.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
The reel is for storage of the cord only. It can't be used while in the reel. It's for storage of detachable power cords.
It can't be used with attached cords. That's a whole other type of reels.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #15

It's on my list to get one as well. Tired of battling that 50 amp cord. Especially when its cold, wet, dirty. Last trip I had so much trouble trying to coil it up cold, I just shoved it in the basement for another day. Lol

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
It's on my list to get one as well. Tired of battling that 50 amp cord. Especially when its cold, wet, dirty. Last trip I had so much trouble trying to coil it up cold, I just shoved it in the basement for another day. Lol

Earl
Exactly, same deal with my current rig. I hate hand wrapping cords, hoses, ropes, my number one pet peeve in life.

Could this same reel be used for water hose storage?
Old 11-24-2017, 02:09 PM   #17

I'm also looking at the reel. Those that have a fifth wheel, where have you found the best place to mount it and did you go with the tall or the wide one. The cord is definitely a pain when cold.
Old 11-24-2017, 10:02 PM   #18

Here is our 'reel' which we put up in the Forums a long time ago...hope it helps again.
Attached Images

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 AM   #19

I installed a MoRryde 59-001H in the small compartment at the rt rear of my Eagle 293RKDS. This unit had (removed) a small 110 volt ref in that compartment.

If you don't have a reel the best thing when the cord is cold is to remove it prior to loading and then wrap it around the 5th wheel hitch in the back of the truck. I also carry a 25', 50 amp to 30 amp cord because most of the time I do not need both airs.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:46 AM   #20

Mine is installed just like Larry’s. Super convenient! I removed the storage hook provided by Jayco and have a magnetic holder for disposable a box of gloves (for sewer needs) sitting on top. On the left (front) wall just above I’ve installed an aerosol can rack to corral the spray cans of this-n-that that I’ve accumulated. Just behind the reel I have a small plastic trash can for used gloves, paper towels and other trash that I generate in the basement. I consider the reel the single best improvement I’ve made to our 5th. Dealing with the power cord was the hardest part of set-up/breakdown but even in cold weather the reel makes it a snap.

-SOLD- 2012 X23B