Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #1

Thumbs down Whirlpool Fridge - works on 110, quite working on 12V

We purchased our rig a year ago and wintered in AZ. After our last local camp outing, we arrived home and found the fridge quit working on 12V. When plugged into 110, works fine.

I checked the fuse, 15A, and there isn't anything wrong with it. New batteries a couple of months ago.

2018 Jayco Pinnacle, 37MDQS

Any thoughts?
Pops/Meems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:56 PM   #2

Is the inverter turned on?
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops/Meems View Post
We purchased our rig a year ago and wintered in AZ. After our last local camp outing, we arrived home and found the fridge quit working on 12V. When plugged into 110, works fine.

I checked the fuse, 15A, and there isn't anything wrong with it. New batteries a couple of months ago.

2018 Jayco Pinnacle, 37MDQS

Any thoughts?
Did you have the INVERTER turned on?

Klassic won!
Old 09-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #4

Thanks...should be as I didn't turn it off. I'll take a look. I should mention, everything else work fine on 12V.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks...should be as I didn't turn it off. I'll take a look. I should mention, everything else work fine on 12V.
That would be the only issue, either it's off, the breaker on it needs to be reset or went bad.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
The inverter only works the refrigerator and maybe a plug (depending on the year)
Old 09-28-2021, 03:18 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses...it would appear my Xantrex inverter is not working. That would explain why the fridge isn't working on 12V.

I checked the fuses / breakers, no issues there. The inverter doesn't appear to be powered on. I'll have to test to see if I have power coming to the inverter.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:25 PM   #8

Are there any indicators on on the inverter panel? Did you try the on/off button on the panel? What did you do to determine that the inverter is not working?

2021 Coachmen Freelander 29KB
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
NSA Ready Brute Elite II tow bar
Springhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:11 AM   #9

Thanks for your input. I looked at the inverter display as well as the "remote" display and neither has output on the display.

2018 Jayco Pinnacle 37MDQS
2008 Ford F350
Pullrite SuperGlide
Old 09-29-2021, 04:56 AM   #10

I have the Xantrex Freedom X 1200. Is that the same you have? In the owner's manual, troubleshooting section (back of the book) it explains what the cause and solution is for the condition you describe. If there are no lights lit on the inverter and you do not have shore power, the possible cause is IGNITION LOCK(ACC) IS NOT PRESENT. Solution: If the ignition control feature is in use, ensure the vehicle's ignition is On and the ignition control switch on the front of the Freedom X 1200 unit is On (|).
I've visited their website and although I cannot find this model's owner's manual available for download, they do have a download section just for troubleshooting: https://xantrex.com/power-products-s...downloads.aspx
Summary: Please connect your camper's 7Way cable to your truck and turn on your engine, if lights appear on your inverter (try turning it on again) then you know you want to turn off your inverter's IGNITION LOCK so you have the inverter on while boondocking.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:03 AM   #11

More info about 'Ignition Control':
The Freedom X 1200 provides two user selectable options for ignition control:
> Ignition Auto-on: The Freedom X 1200 can automatically turn the inverter on and off in tandem with the vehicle's ignition circuit or a manually operated remote switch.
> Ignition Lockout: The Freedom X 1200 features the ability to inhibit the inverter from operating in the absence of a voltage signal from a vehicle's ignition circuit. This is particularly useful if the inverter is required to operate only when a vehicle's engine is running

To completely disable the ignition control features: Set Ignition Control of 'Off (OFF) using the Select buttons on the Display panel.

These instructions presume your display panel comes on when you have shore power.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
I have the Xantrex Freedom X 1200. Is that the same you have? In the owner's manual, troubleshooting section (back of the book) it explains what the cause and solution is for the condition you describe. If there are no lights lit on the inverter and you do not have shore power, the possible cause is IGNITION LOCK(ACC) IS NOT PRESENT. Solution: If the ignition control feature is in use, ensure the vehicle's ignition is On and the ignition control switch on the front of the Freedom X 1200 unit is On (|).
I've visited their website and although I cannot find this model's owner's manual available for download, they do have a download section just for troubleshooting: https://xantrex.com/power-products-s...downloads.aspx
Summary: Please connect your camper's 7Way cable to your truck and turn on your engine, if lights appear on your inverter (try turning it on again) then you know you want to turn off your inverter's IGNITION LOCK so you have the inverter on while boondocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
More info about 'Ignition Control':
The Freedom X 1200 provides two user selectable options for ignition control:
> Ignition Auto-on: The Freedom X 1200 can automatically turn the inverter on and off in tandem with the vehicle's ignition circuit or a manually operated remote switch.
> Ignition Lockout: The Freedom X 1200 features the ability to inhibit the inverter from operating in the absence of a voltage signal from a vehicle's ignition circuit. This is particularly useful if the inverter is required to operate only when a vehicle's engine is running

To completely disable the ignition control features: Set Ignition Control of 'Off (OFF) using the Select buttons on the Display panel.

These instructions presume your display panel comes on when you have shore power.
These are great tips!! I replaced my original wall panel with a Bluetooth unit so I could easily manage these settings. Will go check settings later as it only works with Bluetooth. This sure sounds like it could be his issue.
Old 09-29-2021, 06:37 AM   #13

Thanks for the response.

No display whether on shore power or battery. I verified the fuse is okay.

Online manual:
https://www.xantrex.com/documents/Po...Rev-E)_ENG.pdf

2008 Ford F350
Pullrite SuperGlide
Old 09-29-2021, 06:53 AM   #14

If you’re sure you have 12v coming into the inverter, try unplugging the remote and see if you can turn on the inverter on the main display panel.
Maybe, like mentioned above, the ignition lock out feature has been turned on…?
Call Xantrex customer service. The lady there knows everything about that inverter and can walk you through trouble shooting.
Old 09-29-2021, 07:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassic View Post
Call Xantrex customer service. The lady there knows everything about that inverter and can walk you through trouble shooting.

Here is their number published on my manual +1 800 670 0707
I suggest when you call you have the model/serial number of your inverter ready when asked.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:06 AM   #16

Thumbs up Problem solved

After talking with the Xantrex support staff, they convinced me to validate that I have 13+V going to the inverter. After removing the side panel above the battery compartment, I traced the positive and negative wires from the inverter. I then traced them back to the battery and discovered the negative end of the cable was the issue. Seems from the factory, the cable terminal did not have a proper crimp. I resolved this and all is well. Moral to the story, assume nothing, check everything.

2008 Ford F350
Pullrite SuperGlide
Old 09-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #17

Quote:
After talking with the Xantrex support staff, they convinced me to validate that I have 13+V going to the inverter. After removing the side panel above the battery compartment, I traced the positive and negative wires from the inverter. I then traced them back to the battery and discovered the negative end of the cable was the issue. Seems from the factory, the cable terminal did not have a proper crimp. I resolved this and all is well. Moral to the story, assume nothing, check everything.
Good job.
I had the same problem with my Ground Control. Stopped working one day and it was the ground wire not crimped in the connector.

Tags
fridge not working, whirlpool refrigerator