Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2016, 04:23 PM   #1

Who manufactures the under awning light strip?

Hey all, I've had an issue for a while which originally was intermittent now is permanent. The long 17' under awning light strip OEM from my 2016 Seismic dims to half brightness after a few minutes. Starts bright then dims. It just sits in the track and is a direct 12v connection so I'm thinking of just replacing myself. It's not adhesived in the track so will be easy to replace. I can replace with any waterproof 12v direct connect but would like to keep it OEM. It's a Dometic 9100 awning but I'm thinking maybe it's ITC who they use as a vendor for underglow LED lighting and accent lights now.

Thanks.

Here's a photo of the dimmed versus my other awning light at full bright. I'm thinking a resistor is bad in series.

P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #2

Typically all manufacturers get components like the strip lights from a low bidder so the maker of your strip may not be used on all units. Anyway the quality of many of these components is pretty ??able and you can install a better unit for less than what Jayco would charge you. If you had a dealer replace it its doubtful they would install an oem strip. I had the dealer replace the freshwater input on the outside of my TT under warrantee. The original was installed at an angle and it was hard to connect a water hose. The replacement had a chrome base, the oem was white.

So far on my 2014 I have replaced the main TV, the front tongue jack, and the bathroom sink faucet with better quality items.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

This is the one I just ordered
http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...rip-39148.html
Old 08-21-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

My BIL had his awning light strip replaced due to led's not lighting. The "retail" price for the strip was $145.99 Canadian. Seems a whole bunch overpriced considering I got the same style of strip shipped to my door for under $13. Why would you go to a dealer to order a "factory" strip?
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:44 AM   #5

This is the replacement I was going to order to stay with just white.

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...p-60-lpm/91240

However I'm thinking if I'm replacing this why not go with multi color? I'd like to install the 12v control box in a small waterproof project box completely sealed and then attach that to the side of the wall just under the awning. Using the existing 12v leads coming out of the wall. There's also a company that makes a dual color strip, so if you simply install a double pole switch you can simply switch between a color (blue red yellow whatever you order) and white. The DW doesn't like the colored lights though.

Either way I have to ensure the width is same as what's up there.

Thanks for opinions. Here's the multi colored kit and the dual color kit I'm considering:

http://www.itc-rv.com/product/astra-...ed-flex-light/

http://m.campingworld.com/shopping/i...ight-kit/91237
P25ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #6

Our LED lights are the same manufacturer as the awning Dometic. We have had 2 sets replaced under warranty. We ended up installing this

Security Porch Light With Motion Sensor - Black Smart Light-pplmotorhomes.com

Just in case the light strip goes out again.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 11:48 AM   #7

Get onto Amazon or eBay and buy the cheapest you can find, you will find $20 will cover you for what you want to do (colors). Put that waterproof box over the location the power comes out of the wall, through a hole in the box (obviously) and seal with caulking of your choice.
Old 08-22-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

When I had my Dometic awning fabric replaced a few weeks ago (warranty) on my 2016 jayflight because of a defective 'pull' in the material, I saw that the new fabric came with a new LED strip already attached to the fabric. I didn't look close at it, but I think it's stitched to the awning fabric.
Does anyone know for sure?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:38 AM   #9

I replaced mine with dimmable color:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...lor-35966.html
estesbubba is offline   Reply With Quote