Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-06-2017, 10:42 PM   #41

Location: Full timing in the 377, but Llano, Texas is now home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom View Post
Great info Darin! Thanks for posting. Looks like I could drop my pressure to 100 psi and still be ok. Funny thing that your rig is 12,200. Mine came from factory 13,607 empty. I haven't scaled it but I'm sure I'm at least 14,500 now with all the gear, extra battery, extra propane tank, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sorry for the late reply Tom. My yellow sticker says it weighed 14057 when completed at the factory. I'm guessing 12200 is my estimated trailer axle wt. since I added a 3100 Champion up front, removed bunkdoors, ottoman, computer tower, 10 lbs culled clothing, add 100 lbs new Sailuns, 5 gal drinking water now sits in a crate in front of bunkhouse, and empty water tanks. The pin wt is estimated about 3950 lbs. with this. So together around 16150. When we leave Aug 12 or 13, I plan to hit the CAT scale again to see how close I'm to new numbers.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Dskyward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #42

Darin

Thanks for the clarification. I think I'm probably around the same weight as you. I'm definitely going to look at my weights and adjust my pressure. Wonder why you've had trouble after 5900 miles and I've had mine 2-1/2 years at 110 psi without issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 PM   #43

I wonder that too. Some mystery here. We both have the same 6" rims. The rep told me that 6.5" is right for 235s, and less spells out the cove wear I'm seeing as treadwidth is wider than the rim so the edge shoulder support is neglected to a degree. I'll back them down to 85 psi when we leave this weekend. I'll let u know what happens when we get back next 2600 miles.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie MC 4x2 DRW 6.7CTD, B&W Companion Slider 3405, Edge Evolution CS (deleted DPF/DOC-special tune), TireMinder TM-77, Firestone air springs, CustomFlow tailgate, Tonnosport tonneau cover, Champion 3100w genset
2017 Jayco North Point 377RLBH w/Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, Truma AquaGo Comfort, Sailun S637, home of Darin & Dana. Where the 377 has been towed since 5/27/16:
Old 08-08-2017, 07:31 AM   #44

chuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreid View Post
<snip>The camper towed soo smoothly at 100 psi and all of the chucking is gone. <snip>
What's chucking?
Old 08-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
What's chucking?
Hi DaveT, chucking is that jerking front to back motion one feels in the cab when the fifth wheel goes over bumps. MorRyde makes a kingpin with rubber bushings that absorbs a lot of the energy.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:10 AM   #46

Trailer life article on right front outer tire wear

Another interesting bit of reading, concerning the mystery of my cupping or cove wear pattern I posted earlier in this thread, I recently came across a follow-up article in the RV Clinic section of the July 2017 issue of Trailer Life, regarding 'Trailer-Tire Wear', about tire wear concerns on the right front tire. The original arcticle called 'Trailer Tire Alignment' in the April 2017 issue of TL, pg 64, where Tom Carver, of China Valley, AZ, wrote that his 2006 toy hauler right front tire started to feather after an 800 mile trip, while the other 3 didn't have any. The RVC answered it could be due to one of a probable bent spindle or axle, uneven load, axle alignment causing his tire scrub.

In the July 2017 TL, pg97, the response from John Manley, of Remus Michigan, a trucking industry veteran, said on the right front outer tire wear on several fifth wheels and numerous tandem and triple axle trailers he's owned, "I figured out that during right-hand turns on a hard surface road or street, the load on this right front tire can almost double. The trailer tends to lean on this wheel as it is being pulled sideways. The load on the left rear is lessened as the trailer pivots on the right rear and the left front. Left turns are a longer, wider radius turn that causes less scrub of the tires. I put 14-ply LT tires on my trailer, and these tires have a higher inflation pressure. This helps a lot, as the tire doesn't roll under as you turn. I hope this helps explain the wear a little better."

The Clinic response from TL, "We've heard a variety of explanations about odd tire wear effect, and yours is as good as any we've seen. Thank You." What kind of response is that? Par. I've not thought of left and right actual radius turning, and they should've said 'most plausible explanation'. Right turns are indeed a sharper turn to make vs left turns across traffic lanes in ALL situations. FYI- the pictures I sent of my tires were on the right (passenger) side looking forward. So as a recap, my 6" rims with ST235 width Sailun tires, according to Sailun rep, can emphasize the scrubbing effect. But unfortunately, the Sailun S637 is not available in size ST225/85R16. I've no desire to change out my wheels to 6.5" rim width to be prime for the 235 tire width according to the rep. Even so, I seriously doubt a marked wear improvement. Food for thought.

Sorry, there isn't a link available to these two articles.