Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2017, 06:48 PM   #1

Wife Backed Truck Into Pinnacle, Ouch!

My wife backed into our Pinnacle a couple of days ago. She felt horrible about it. So did I

There was $1200 to our 2016 Ram 2500 and minor damage to edge of our Pinnacle just under the king pin. Paint appears in a couple of spots, right down to the a silver surface (metal?). Of course, the decals in the area are scraped right off.

The area is not large, maybe an inch square with a couple of spots where the paint is completely chipped.

My question: Has anyone got experience either repairing the gel coat fiberglass surface on the Pinnacle? We would need a repair and then need to color match our paint.

I would appreciate hearing if anyone has experience with either fixing it yourself or having someone else fix it. Our dealer is over an hour from our house and I am not sure I would trust them with that kind of repair.
Old 11-13-2017, 06:53 PM   #2

Do you have any boat repair shops in your area they should have lots of experience repairing gelcoat.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Thanks Merlinhomeauto. I will investigate that option. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Team

I had occasion to need a repair to my front cap. My dealer got it approved by Jayco and referred me to a local fiberglass repair facility. Had to get the gelcoat color from Jayco and the # of the supplier and had a qt. shipped to me.

Another time I had it done by a boat dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
I had occasion to need a repair to my front cap. My dealer got it approved by Jayco and referred me to a local fiberglass repair facility. Had to get the gelcoat color from Jayco and the # of the supplier and had a qt. shipped to me.

Another time I had it done by a boat dealer.
Thanks norty1. We did call Jayco to get the gelcoat color but they referred us to our dealer. This wouldn't be warranty work so no need for our dealer to be involved. Boat repair facility sounds promising. Will call the dealer to see if I can get the gelcoat color and the supplier.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

Your former wife did WHAT?...lol
2 Bluetick Hounds
1 Newfoundland
1 Newfoundland / Black Lab Mix
1 Cairn Terrier
The Logans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #7

you can go online if it is as small as you say and get a small patch kit.. they have them for boats...

All Categories

they have color mixes as well... not likely to have Jayco colors as they are all specific to the boating industry... but a small patch to keep water out is easy and cheap and you can have it professionally done if you choose at a later date... make sure you take out enough of the gel to get a solid hold.. and keep it rough so the gel bonds then put on a couple of coats.. yea it will look like heck but don't worry.. keep tape around the area so you don't extend beyond that... and then when it is all set start sanding it down.. first with 80/100/120 depending on how much you need to take off then all the way down to 800 to 1000 grit.. then get out a orbital polisher and a pad and some automotive rubbing compound.. be gentle and don't take off to much on any step.. then hit it with polish and it will look like new... that is what costs the money doing the sanding and polishing...

good luck it seams bad but it really isn't.. heck try it on something first to see how easy it is.. I have fixed numerous oppsses on my boat and I know where they are but others cannot find them...

Good luck...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:26 AM   #8

Not a painted Pinnacle, but our dealer found a spiderweb crack in our wall while replacing the decal. In my case Jayco covered the work under warranty. The dealer sent it out to a local fiberglass repair center. Came back and you could not find the crack, and we do not have have paint on ours, so it was a really good quality repair.

I know around hear, our auto body shops would want to repaint the whole side, so it all matches, big bucks just to do a door ding on my TV.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Logans View Post
Your former wife did WHAT?...lol
lol, Yea, she felt pretty bad. It was hard to be mad although it hurt.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post
you can go online if it is as small as you say and get a small patch kit.. they have them for boats...

All Categories

they have color mixes as well... not likely to have Jayco colors as they are all specific to the boating industry... but a small patch to keep water out is easy and cheap and you can have it professionally done if you choose at a later date... make sure you take out enough of the gel to get a solid hold.. and keep it rough so the gel bonds then put on a couple of coats.. yea it will look like heck but don't worry.. keep tape around the area so you don't extend beyond that... and then when it is all set start sanding it down.. first with 80/100/120 depending on how much you need to take off then all the way down to 800 to 1000 grit.. then get out a orbital polisher and a pad and some automotive rubbing compound.. be gentle and don't take off to much on any step.. then hit it with polish and it will look like new... that is what costs the money doing the sanding and polishing...

good luck it seams bad but it really isn't.. heck try it on something first to see how easy it is.. I have fixed numerous oppsses on my boat and I know where they are but others cannot find them...

Good luck...
Thanks curver900. Solid advice. I have never done anything like that so I am a little apprehensive but I would like to a least to get a patch started to keep the water out. I understand these patches are temperature sensitive? Is that right. I heard that the temperature needs to be in the 60's for the patch to adhere. Is that what you understand. Will be heading to Florida in mid January. Maybe that would be the time to do that.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Not a painted Pinnacle, but our dealer found a spiderweb crack in our wall while replacing the decal. In my case Jayco covered the work under warranty. The dealer sent it out to a local fiberglass repair center. Came back and you could not find the crack, and we do not have have paint on ours, so it was a really good quality repair.

I know around hear, our auto body shops would want to repaint the whole side, so it all matches, big bucks just to do a door ding on my TV.
Thanks Jagiven for sharing your experience. Sounds like you have a very good experience. Hoping I can this taken care of with the same satisfaction you had.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:36 PM   #12

If you have a crack, and worried about water infiltration, depending on the crack size I have used a bit of electrical tape. It seams to stick to anything, but it will leave a residue. I used it a while back when I put a small tear in my roof membrane. It removed easily after a few weeks without any issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #13

Electrical tape is a great idea. I think I will do that until I can get it fixed.

Tags
fiberglass repair, pinnacle 36 fbts, repair chips