Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

WiFi router power

2019 Eagle HT 27.5RLTS. When camping without shore power, my battery will barely last the day. On my previous trailer, I could run the generator every other day and be fine. Battery checks out good and is group 27 with 88 amp hours. The only new accessory on this Jayco is the MyRV WiFi hub. Could that be what is draining my battery??
Ron74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #2

EXACTLY what is your wifi router? It should indicate on it or in the product literature what the current draw or watts is. If current then you convert to watts and do the math.

Are you using the 110v adapter to power it?

Are you reading the voltage of the battery with a VM? Do you own a VM?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:06 PM   #3

The MyRV WiFi router is an option on my Jayco. I am not sure of the brand as it is located behind a panel in the cabinet. I connect to it with my iPhone which provides control to levelers, awning, and slides from my iPhone. It runs on the 12 volt system and I am wondering how much power it is using since something is draining the battery. The system displays voltage in the iPhone app. When I go to bed it will show 12.5 volts, but by morning, with nothing running at night except the fridge on propane, the voltage will be down to 11.4.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:09 PM   #4

Ahhh ok gotcha. I think.

So this is one of the whole house control systems, not just a wifi router?

Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:20 PM   #5

Home Routers will vary in consumption many in the 3-4A range. I had an Asus that was a power hog and sucked well over 8A when it was just idling.

It's possible that that could be your power sucker.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:32 AM   #6

I have read that with the 2020’s and the RVPro controllers the system takes a considerable toll on the batteries and does not disconnect with the disconnect switch. Maybe a solar panel to help the batteries if you are in a spot with sunlight
nylyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #7

I would recommend buying a multimeter with an integrated clamp amp meter. It is a great tool.

You can place the clamp around any single hot wire, and see how many amps is being pulled through the wire. For example, with the shore power disconnected you clamp around the main battery cable and see how much power is being drawn. This will show you total drain on your battery. Then you could locate various devices such as your CO/gas detector, or MYRV WIFI hub, clamp around the hot wire, and see what that device is pulling, and so forth. All those individual devices should add up to what is the battery reading was (note some items cycle like a refrigerator).

A multimeter is a great tool, and gets better when the clamp amp meter feature is added.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #8

Thanks for the responses. I have a multimeter but without the clamp for measuring amps. May need to upgrade. Headed up the mountain again today and will be without power tonight. I plan to pull the fuse on the WiFi router and see if that improves the power drain.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I would recommend buying a multimeter with an integrated clamp amp meter. It is a great tool.

A multimeter is a great tool, and gets better when the clamp amp meter feature is added.

Absolutely!

I also like my Kill-A-Watt meter too!