Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #21

Thanks for your reply. I Lowered the pin as far as it would go and that took care of it. I have about 7 inches of clearance.
Gary Sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:18 AM   #22

Hi,
We have a 2016 2500 and you're right the truck sits way high. we adjusted the pin box up one hole and put the springs on the trailer on the bottom shackle hole and are way more level now. That being said, don't forget to verify your clearance when you're done with any height mods you may do. when we first got our 321RSTS with the front A/C we were sitting at 13'-9" of clearance. Changed the A/C to low profile and now we're 13'-5".
Good Luck!
divelaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:40 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgoranso View Post
I run a 2015 F350 with 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires. I use an Andersen goosehitch set up. I keep the ball on the lowest setting and have the ball mount spun forward. I get two fists and thumb knuckle of clearance, about 8 inches. I'm slightly nose high but it evens out when the truck sags and i add firewood and weight in the back. I have airbags and found it rides best at 30lbs. My bed height is 61 inches from the ground if that helps. My buddy runs a chevy with the same set up. Leaving a gas station he caught the rear lip of the 5th hitch on his bed rail and it pulled up the plastic cap. He has a 6ft box. IMO i would say 5 inches will work if your flat, 6 inches is better and you can take small dips, and 7-8 inches will allow you to make a good incline or dip.

Just drive smart, watch you dips and inclines, and you'll be ok at 5 inches.

Before anyone posts, yes i have a JAYCO, i have a 2018 Octane 260 Toy Hauler i use for camping too, we also have the 2020 Momentum as seen in the PIC (: but i love this Jayco sight, such great knowledge is always shared.

Great setup it look very nice, how do it pull?
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 04:58 PM   #24

You are putting extra pressure on the rear set of trailer tires. This raises tire temperature and air pressure not to mention premature tire wear. If you had a tpms (tire pressure monitoring system you would see). You really need to be close to level as possible when towing. My rig sits nose high about 3" out of level. I am in the process of finding a new hitch to replace the Curt A16 I have about an 8 1/4" gap in the front between the 5er and the truck and 7 1/4" in the rear. I see the increased temp/pressure and I am only towing for about an hr. to the campground. So, I want the 5" to 6" clearance. The F350 does not even come close to contacting the trailer.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraftonGuns View Post
You are putting extra pressure on the rear set of trailer tires. This raises tire temperature and air pressure not to mention premature tire wear. If you had a tpms (tire pressure monitoring system you would see). You really need to be close to level as possible when towing. My rig sits nose high about 3" out of level. I am in the process of finding a new hitch to replace the Curt A16 I have about an 8 1/4" gap in the front between the 5er and the truck and 7 1/4" in the rear. I see the increased temp/pressure and I am only towing for about an hr. to the campground. So, I want the 5" to 6" clearance. The F350 does not even come close to contacting the trailer.
Sometimes you just don't have a choice. As long as the axle loads are within specs, you're good. I'd be more concerned about the overall height of the trailer being pin high then a little more weight on the rear axle. Definitely rather not damage my truck and trailer from bed/tailgate contact. Very rare to have a truck and 5th wheel to be level and have plenty of bed/tailgate gap. 5th wheels tend to have plenty of axle capacity. My trailer grosses at 12k with 12k of axle capacity with only 10560 on the axles, rest is on the pin. And I do tow pin high. Not a lot but definitely not level. She rolls at 70 no prob. Stable as a surgeons hand.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #26

I have 6 inch clearance and still clipped a rail backing down a hill making a tight turn. Luckily it just took a nick out of the rail. Never seen it happen until it was parked.
2013 GMC Sierra 2500 CC SB 4x4 Duramax
skijlw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:52 AM   #27

Similar story here with 6”. No damage. Just watched it as I back up very slowly and had to abort to backup once I made contact. Mine was due to opposite side front wheel going into a smaller culvert. My current setup has 8” and still came close on some off camber stuff as my storage facility. 6” at the lowest point is good. I wouldn’t go less. No matter what though it’s something to watch.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by norteno View Post
Yes, it will bottom out on your tailgate. Ask me how I know!

I have a 2019 Eagle HTX 26BHX with 16" wheels and a 2018 RAM 2500. I was level with my Anderson in the middle position. When backing by trailer up onto my driveway I somehow bottomed out on the tailgate and dented it causing the tailgate handle to pop out. Everything still works, but I will forever have a slightly dented tailgate and popped out latch. A few weeks later I pulled up to a guy with the same truck as mine and his was dented the exact same way but a lot worse. I've since moved my Anderson to the top position and pull slightly nose high.
norteno, do you know your clearance or inches to the rails when you were level and the hitch in the middle position?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
BLTravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 02:22 AM   #29

A 4" would be too near. Ram owner here too! Your only option is to remove it!
sevenhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 08:20 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Sell View Post
Thanks for your reply. I Lowered the pin as far as it would go and that took care of it. I have about 7 inches of clearance.
But doesn't lowering your kingpin make the trailer nose high?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Old 10-24-2019, 08:27 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
You can use the lower holes in the trailer spring hangers to get some more height. If the trailer had 15" wheels, you can upgrade to 16" to increase height. You can add the Lippert correct track alignment kit. I believe that will raise the trailer 2".

It's best to tow level, but bed clearance is important. Damage to your truck and trailer often or be pin high. I'd take pin high.

Earl
"You can use the lower holes in the trailer spring hangers to get some more height."
Mopar_Earl, can you explain that a little more to a novice. By "more height" do you mean in the rear or over the axles making the whole trailer more level (raising the rear-lowering the front)? Or more height in the front at the kingpin? In other words, how does this help or work?
Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi
Old 10-24-2019, 09:42 AM   #32

It is to bad your dealer didn't check the clearance before you pulled off the lot. I don't have much good to say about them other wise but the PDI guy was good and made sure i had clearance before i pulled out.
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTravels View Post
"You can use the lower holes in the trailer spring hangers to get some more height."
Mopar_Earl, can you explain that a little more to a novice. By "more height" do you mean in the rear or over the axles making the whole trailer more level (raising the rear-lowering the front)? Or more height in the front at the kingpin? In other words, how does this help or work?
By dropping the leaf springs to the bottom spring hanger holes will raise the trailer to make it more level when pin high. Same with going from 15" to 16" wheels. So either of both will help with being pin high.

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:49 PM   #34

This is a timely thread for me as I have been wondering this myself. We have an older (06) Dodge ram 3500 4x4. I used to tow an Alfa FW and we had to have the springs moved from being hung under to on top of the axles to get the rig level. Probably didnt help that I put a leveling kit on with 35" tires as we towed onto Pismo Beach a few times. Once stuck with stock tires was enough for me. We don't plan to boondock the new rig much but I like the way the truck rides with the kit and tires and don't want a new truck. I have noticed the newer trucks seem much taller these days and the new Fords,Chevy's and Ram 4x4 seem to sit about where my truck does so hoping we don't have an issue with pin height but if I do good to know I have a little adjustment in the Jayco.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote