Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-16-2020, 09:21 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Is there an antenna connection on that wall? Also you should be able to look between the door and the wall since they don't finish both sides of the wall. The t-stat wire may be visible.

I said it normally does not work with the ducting, you may be able to modify it. Call Air-Xcel and talk to them vs PPL The issue is you can't close off the outlet vents 100% as is done with the ducted assembly.
I will go out there a bit later to check it out. The slides are closed since it's under my cover, so may not be able to see much. I have talked to a couple of members in pm and their cool only switch is on that wall on the left as you walk in the doorway. But their's were factory installed. Would be great if I can confirm my wiring is there also.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:15 AM   #62

Ok, I went out and pulled the light switch in the hallway and found a bunch of wiring behind it. One was a brown wire like was in the vent area. Pulled it out and it looks like what would be for the thermostat. WooHoo!

Now to make sure I can run it to the bedroom wall about 14" away. It seems plenty long enough. For reference where it is, that hinge on the left is the bathroom door upper hinge...

Old 01-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #63

Looks like I may have jumped the gun with my excitement. First off I took a long screwdriver and put in the switch hole towards the bedroom wall and it hit the bathroom wall. So no way to run the wires to the bedroom wall.

Secondly, the cool only thermostat has a plug with 4 wires, yet the brown wire I found behind the switch only has two wires and no opposing plug. Arrgghhh, looks like I'm back to square one.

Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM   #64

Well, it looks like I have been spinning my wheels looking for something that is not there. I just got off the phone with a Jayco tech and he said there is no wiring in the wall for a thermostat. If I wanted one there, I would have to fish it down across the ceiling and down the wall from the vent opening where the prep wiring is. Sounds like pain so I may just go the easy route and have the controls in the ceiling assembly. Not sure yet.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM   #65

JAYCO doesn't use plugs on the thermostat, they connect the wires with wirenuts. Also in over 40 years of playing with these "toys" I have never received a thermostat with a plug, just bare ended wires.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #66

Fishing shouldn't be that difficult or you could use Wire Mould for speaker wires.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:02 PM   #67

Do you have 120-volt power at the roof vent to power the A/C?
Old 01-16-2020, 12:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Do you have 120-volt power at the roof vent to power the A/C?
Yes, it's prepped for AC
Old 01-16-2020, 12:28 PM   #69

Quote:
Fishing shouldn't be that difficult or you could use Wire Mould for speaker wires.
I may try that route later although I would have to remove some of the wood that is framing the vent. But that's for a later day, right now its freezing out there and I'm a wuss when it comes to cold.

Probably shouldn't turn on the heat in the rig with the slides all in.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #70

Quote:
JAYCO doesn't use plugs on the thermostat, they connect the wires with wirenuts. Also in over 40 years of playing with these "toys" I have never received a thermostat with a plug, just bare ended wires.
I have never changed a thermostat, but that is what I have read too. Not sure why the cool only 'stat I posted above shows a plug on the end. But that is the same unit that comes with factory installed bedroom AC's.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:23 PM   #71

Are you sure there are only 2 wires in that bundle you fished out of the wall? T-stat wiring for cool only application would have 3 wires: Hi Fan, Lo Fan, Compressor. The 12V would come from somewhere else (black wire and white wire to that switch, probably) and not be included in that bundle.

Are there only two wires in the vent opening side in the ceiling? What we are assuming is the other end of that wire bundle?

I'm with Grumpy, never seen a t-stat with a plug on the end; just naked wires. But I probably haven't seen nearly as many as he has...

I guess if you discover that is the wire that goes between that wall and the roof opening, you could always use it to fish the correct wiring through...?

Curious indeed...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:26 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post
I have never changed a thermostat, but that is what I have read too. Not sure why the cool only 'stat I posted above shows a plug on the end. But that is the same unit that comes with factory installed bedroom AC's.
My replacement digital t-stat came with a plug I cut off the plug
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 01:31 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
Are you sure there are only 2 wires in that bundle you fished out of the wall? T-stat wiring for cool only application would have 3 wires: Hi Fan, Lo Fan, Compressor. The 12V would come from somewhere else (black wire and white wire to that switch, probably) and not be included in that bundle.

Are there only two wires in the vent opening side in the ceiling? What we are assuming is the other end of that wire bundle?

I'm with Grumpy, never seen a t-stat with a plug on the end; just naked wires. But I probably haven't seen nearly as many as he has...

I guess if you discover that is the wire that goes between that wall and the roof opening, you could always use it to fish the correct wiring through...?

Curious indeed...
Yes, only two wires as the pic I posted shows, blue and green. Plus there is no way to get it to the bedroom wall without a long drill bit going through both the bedroom and bathroom walls. There are 4 wires in the loom coming out of the vent area. There may be more wiring if I remove that piece of luan with the hole in it and search around. Not sure on that though.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:36 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
My replacement digital t-stat came with a plug I cut off the plug
I think I read that Furrion AC's are "plug and play" with Coleman thermostats. Maybe that is why they come with a plug now. Just a guess.
Old 01-16-2020, 01:38 PM   #75

Quote:
Yes, only two wires as the pic I posted shows, blue and green. Plus there is no way to get it to the bedroom wall without a long drill bit going through both the bedroom and bathroom walls. There are 4 wires in the loom coming out of the vent area. There may be more wiring if I remove that piece of luan with the hole in it and search around. Not sure on that though.
Okay, so that wire you pulled out of your wall is obviously not the wire bundle that goes up into the opening in the ceiling.

I would say you're back to searching.

I would also say Jayco is wrong about T-stat wiring. That 4-wire bundle hanging out in the vent opening is proof-positive. That loom goes somewhere, you just haven't found it yet. Don't know if anyone answered your question, but the yellow jacketed wire is Romex and should contain a black wire, white wire, and bare copper; it provides the 110V AC power for the AC. The brown bundle is t-stat wiring which you've already discovered contains 4 thin gauge wires. That should be all the AC related wiring in that hole.

All of this raises another question: What the heck is that 2-wire loom you pulled out of the wall?

ETA: And another question: is the other end of that Romex wired into your breaker panel already? Or will you need to purchase a 20/30A breaker and wire that up?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-16-2020, 01:44 PM   #76

I looked at the T-stat wire loom a little closer in the image, and it says "Honewell" on the jacket.

I wonder if they intend for you to use a household 24V T-stat? Surely not when the opening in the ceiling has a 4-wire bundle?

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #77

Quote:
Okay, so that wire you pulled out of your wall is obviously not the wire bundle that goes up into the opening in the ceiling.

I would say you're back to searching.

I would also say Jayco is wrong about T-stat wiring. That 4-wire bundle hanging out in the vent opening is proof-positive. That loom goes somewhere, you just haven't found it yet. Don't know if anyone answered your question, but the yellow jacketed wire is Romex and should contain a black wire, white wire, and bare copper; it provides the 110V AC power for the AC. The brown bundle is t-stat wiring which you've already discovered contains 4 thin gauge wires. That should be all the AC related wiring in that hole.

All of this raises another question: What the heck is that 2-wire loom you pulled out of the wall?

ETA: And another question: is the other end of that Romex wired into your breaker panel already? Or will you need to purchase a 20/30A breaker and wire that up?
The Jayco guy said with AC prep, where will not be any wiring in the wall, but there WILL be a loom in the bedroom vent hole as I have. I pulled out three white wires out of the hole behind the light switch, but there were no ends. Like I said earlier, it would be a pain to try and feed any wires from that area to the bedroom wall because the bathoom wall is in the way.

So far the only Romex I saw was going to that aluminum box behind that hole in the luan at the vent. I have no idea where it comes from as it disappears into the ceiling. Also the same place where I found the 4 wire loom. But I am going to cut more of that luan away to get a better view and dig deeper in there.

I asked the Jayco guy what those two wires behind the light switch could be, he pulled up my wiring schematic and couldn't find it. So, it's a mystery of the universe.
Old 01-16-2020, 09:09 PM   #78

Harbor Frieght has a wire tracer for $25 . I'm old school, if you have one end of a 4wire tstat wire, there is another end somewhere. If your closet is on the front wall it probably is on the right side of the door opening.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:27 AM   #79

Quote:
The Jayco guy said with AC prep, where will not be any wiring in the wall, but there WILL be a loom in the bedroom vent hole as I have. I pulled out three white wires out of the hole behind the light switch, but there were no ends. Like I said earlier, it would be a pain to try and feed any wires from that area to the bedroom wall because the bathoom wall is in the way.

So far the only Romex I saw was going to that aluminum box behind that hole in the luan at the vent. I have no idea where it comes from as it disappears into the ceiling. Also the same place where I found the 4 wire loom. But I am going to cut more of that luan away to get a better view and dig deeper in there.

I asked the Jayco guy what those two wires behind the light switch could be, he pulled up my wiring schematic and couldn't find it. So, it's a mystery of the universe.
The other end of that Romex will terminate behind your breaker panel wherever that is. The question is whether that wire is connected and/or whether there is a breaker installed for it there at the panel. That's going to become important when you go to install the unit up there as you will have to remove the Romex from that junction box in the ceiling and wire it into the AC unit's control box, and you don't want to be fiddling with live wire. Of course, it's best to NOT be connected to shore power when you go to do that, but it would be even better to already have the breaker panel side connected, and have the breaker installed and open before you go to wire up the new unit in the ceiling.

And I totally agree with poohbear; if there's a 4-wire bundle up there in the ceiling, it MUST go somewhere, most likely to a wall.

I don't think opening up that piece of luann is going to net you much new information other than possibly the general direction of that 4-wire loom. But perhaps that 2-wire Honeywell loom will be up there... Like I said, the only things a roof mounted AC unit needs are power (Romex) and control (4-wire loom).

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 01-17-2020, 08:41 AM   #80

Quote:
And I totally agree with poohbear; if there's a 4-wire bundle up there in the ceiling, it MUST go somewhere, most likely to a wall.
X-3

I haven't heard of any JAYCO that had a/c prep that didn't have the thermostat wiring. I think the tech you talked to was new or didn't pull up the correct wiring schematic.