Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-17-2020, 08:49 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
Me and a friend put 2 ladders the width of the ac unit on the side of the kitchen slide out with the slide out extended. We walked the AC unit up and placed it on top of the slide out. My bud kept it steady and I went up on the back ladder and over to the AC unit on top of the slide. I picked it up to the roof and slowly worked it forward to the front vent area. It was about 90#. Slow and steady wins the race.

We did the same thing.
Took a 25' extension ladder, fully extended and laid it out from the roof to the ground.

It ended up being a nice gently sloped, Inclined Plane, that we pushed the new AC up and onto the roof. We took the AC off the pallet but left it on it's wood base. Put straps around it.

Oldest son pulled from roof, I pushed and steadied it from the ladder.

Slow and steady for sure!
Old 01-17-2020, 08:54 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-3

I haven't heard of any JAYCO that had a/c prep that didn't have the thermostat wiring. I think the tech you talked to was new or didn't pull up the correct wiring schematic.
Yea, I seem to be getting in touch with the wrong people, first the PPL guy steering me towards a "muti-zone" thermostat, then the Jayco guy giving false information. Getting too much conflicting information. I may just take it in to a local RV shop and let them deal with it. Evidently "AC prep" isn't so prepped after all.

Not to mention the only way I could get a new unit on the roof is if I rented a forklift or tractor. Everyone I know around here is either too busy or too old to give me hand getting it up there.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post

Not to mention the only way I could get a new unit on the roof is if I rented a forklift or tractor. Everyone I know around here is either too busy or too old to give me hand getting it up there.
That is definitely the "FUN" part...
Old 01-17-2020, 09:19 AM   #84

Quote:
Yea, I seem to be getting in touch with the wrong people, first the PPL guy steering me towards a "muti-zone" thermostat, then the Jayco guy giving false information. Getting too much conflicting information. I may just take it in to a local RV shop and let them deal with it. Evidently "AC prep" isn't so prepped after all.

It really shouldn't be that difficult.

Get yourself a wire tracker and find out where that bundle goes. That'll be the second hardest part.

Getting the unit up on the roof will be the hardest part IMO. I had DW help me get it onto my shoulder, climbed the ladder (a stand-alone A-frame, not the roof access ladder on the rear wall) and "hulked" it onto the roof as gently as I could while she steadied me from the ground. I have a fiberglass roof, so I wasn't worried as much about punching or tearing a hole in a rubber membrane.

I would recommend you NOT leave the unit on any part of its shipping material especially the pallet. The pallet mine was on had a nail or a staple sticking out the bottom that would have immediately punched a hole or created a tear in a roof.

I figured out while getting the old unit down that there may have been an easier way. I took off the shroud, wrapped a tie down strap around the box surrounding the condenser coil and lowered it down over the roof access ladder slowly to a pair of helpers on the ground. I discovered that I could have done basically the same thing in reverse to get the new unit up on the roof instead of using brute force and almost hurting myself. DW could have been on the bottom for an "assist" while I lifted the unit from the roof with the straps. These units aren't really that heavy, they're just awkward, and you want to be careful you don't bend the fins or put pressure on any of the refrigerant lines.

Install time for me (including getting the unit on the roof) was about an hour. In fact when I walked back inside and washed my hands DW was super surprised I was already done and the unit was running. But I didn't have a T-stat to deal with. If you take it to a shop, keep this all in mind when they quote you a price. Shop the parts at PPL to get an idea on a price for parts, and know that labor should be no more than 2 hours since your unit comes with AC prep already installed. An experienced tech with the right tools should be able to get that unit mounted and installed in less than an hour.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 06:47 PM   #85

Quote:
You can rent what is called a "genie lift " sometimes referred to as " duct jack " AC guys use to set duct , heaters , etc. Set unit on arms & crank the handle to desired height .
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 08:04 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
You can rent what is called a "genie lift " sometimes referred to as " duct jack " AC guys use to set duct , heaters , etc. Set unit on arms & crank the handle to desired height .
Thanks, I knew there were other lift options out there, just didn't know the names of them.
Old 01-19-2020, 11:59 AM   #87

After doing some more research, I found a thread on this site where a member said his 2nd AC prepped 2017 Eagle had the t-stat wiring in the hallway behind the light switch. He installed his second stat under it. I went out and checked and sure enough, the thermostat wiring coming out of my ceiling vent hole has a blue and green wire just like the two I found behind the light switch.

So evidently the Jayco tech I talked to didn't know what he was talking about. He said no wires are in the walls for the thermostat yet had no idea what the wires behind my switch were for.

But, I have decided on a Colman Mach 10 15k low profile unit for the bedroom. So now it's just a matter of finding the correct controller and chill grille as there are a few differnt ones. Oh, and I now have a mobile RV repair guy helping me out with this.
Old 01-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #88

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I was pretty ecstatic too when I read that thread this morning. Not sure why I didn't compare wire colors to the ones coming out of the ceiling vent when I first pulled the light switch. For whatever reason I was assuming it needed 4 wires going to it. But I imagine it only needs two since there is no heat function.
Old 01-22-2020, 01:20 PM   #90

My wife and I live in Mississippi so we know the definition of HUMIDITY!! We frequently travel to Alabama, Georgia & Florida. We have 3 ACs on our fifth wheel and it does well. Two AC units will do a good job, but I really believe one unit will leave you wanting.
Cheetah053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:23 PM   #91

We have a 41’ FW and live in Arkansas. We have traveled all through the south and suggest that you strongly consider getting a see second AC. We have two AC’s and use one until it reaches 85 degrees and then we turn on the bedroom AC. I am one who refuses to sleep in a hot and humid room. If you are moving south go ahead and get one.
Anazeteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #92

You’ll need two. I would add 15k to the living and relocate your 13k to the bedroom. Don’t try running them on anything less than a 50amp service- also check your generator and see what it’s rated for.
Farris7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #93

Quote:
Ok that is where I was getting a bit confused as Grumpy stated you can hookup the bedroom unit to the ducted system. Either way is no big deal. If we have to adjust the bedroom manually, so be it.

Yes, I am handy and have plenty of tools and could do it myself, but getting that 86 pound unit on the roof would be a challenge to say the least.
If you have the whisper quiet ducted system, the bedroom is ducted. Remove the trim ring from the bedroom skylight and you’ll see the ducts capped off with foil tape. You can add a unit that will work ducted or leave the caps on the ducts and use a grill.
icr21801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by icr21801 View Post
If you have the whisper quiet ducted system, the bedroom is ducted. Remove the trim ring from the bedroom skylight and you’ll see the ducts capped off with foil tape. You can add a unit that will work ducted or leave the caps on the ducts and use a grill.
Been there, done and even took a pic back on post 28.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:36 PM   #95

Quote:
We recently purchased the Jayco Eagle in my sig and it came with the standard 13.5k BTU AC unit that we have yet to use. We will be moving from northern Nevada to somewhere in the Southeast possibly Alabama, Georgia or Florida this year once our home sells.

We will be taking our time driving out there in the FW and will most likely be living in it until we find a place to buy. My wife has never been in high humidity, and I have only been it once 40 years ago in the Marines in North Carolina. It was not fun in the barracks with no AC.

My concern is the standard AC won't be enough, however ours has prep for a bedroom AC. If we upgraded to 15k will that cool it enough to live in, or would we be better off adding the second AC unit and keeping the one we have? Thanks for any advice from people familiar with the area.
We have a 2019 eagle 330 that we ordered and both a/c s ay15000
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 05:37 PM   #96

For what it's worth. We spent July in S Carolina this past summer. We have a 27 RLS similar in size to your RV. We have the 15K AC. It did a very adequate job of cooling the Rv and keeping it comfortable. You don't want too much AC because a good part of making it more comfortable is removing the humidity. You cool the air too fast you don't remove the humidity and get that cold clammy feeling, which is not comfortable. You don't say, but after you purchase a stick and brick, will you still use the RV in those hot humid conditions or more likely travel north in the summer, and won't need nearly as much AC.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #97

Definitely the 2 units. We have 2 15k units and last year at the beach we were a cool 72 degrees when it was 110 outside during the heat wave. We left them set at the same temp the whole time and never had an issue. Worth the extra $$ for sure. Good luck
Festor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #98

2 A/C's vs 1

I will never own another rv without 2 air conditioners. We're in Texas and 1 unit will not cut it in the summer. Adding a second unit was the best $1000 I ever spent in RVing. Also, FYI, the downdraft grille style is much more efficient than the ducted style.
Will P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:19 PM   #99

I have a Pinnacle and had to install a 3rd AC unit.
4tarheelfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:33 AM   #100

First, Welcome to Alabama if that is your final stop. I would recommend the addition of the 2nd AC unit in the Bedroom. I have 2 and can't image trying to cool my 5th wheel with only 1 AC when traveling in the Southeast.
bgelyhome is offline   Reply With Quote