Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #1

Will we need more AC?

We recently purchased the Jayco Eagle in my sig and it came with the standard 13.5k BTU AC unit that we have yet to use. We will be moving from northern Nevada to somewhere in the Southeast possibly Alabama, Georgia or Florida this year once our home sells.

We will be taking our time driving out there in the FW and will most likely be living in it until we find a place to buy. My wife has never been in high humidity, and I have only been it once 40 years ago in the Marines in North Carolina. It was not fun in the barracks with no AC.

My concern is the standard AC won't be enough, however ours has prep for a bedroom AC. If we upgraded to 15k will that cool it enough to live in, or would we be better off adding the second AC unit and keeping the one we have? Thanks for any advice from people familiar with the area.
Andersen Ultimate w/Andersen Bed Shaft
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #2

IMO-having lived in both southern Georgia and Florida the humidity is very high, combined with the ambient temps it can be stifling.

Having only a 13.5K and if your unit is a 50amp I would recommend adding another AC unit. If your unit is a 30amp trying to run two ACs would be difficult (if second is a 15K most likely not at all), unless you did some modifications to the AC. If you have a 50amp unit, go for it.

Others on the site have done this and will probably chime in if asked.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
IMO-having lived in both southern Georgia and Florida the humidity is very high, combined with the ambient temps it can be stifling.

Having only a 13.5K and if your unit is a 50amp I would recommend adding another AC unit. If your unit is a 30amp trying to run two ACs would be difficult (if second is a 15K most likely not at all), unless you did some modifications to the AC. If you have a 50amp unit, go for it.

Others on the site have done this and will probably chime in if asked.
Thanks, yes thankfully it has the 50 amp option.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventyGTX View Post

My concern is the standard AC won't be enough, however ours has prep for a bedroom AC.
SeventyGTX, We live in Florida and quite often camp in Florida. Yes, you will need 2 A/C's … I didn't think that Jayco put a 13.5K BTU unit in the Eagles line but, if that is what you have, here's what I would do:

Replace the 13.5K BTU unit with a 15K BTU unit and move the 13.5K BTU unit to the bedroom.
2019 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax - SRW - 4WD - CC - LTZ - 8' Bed
Reese M5 20K
triplebvalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebvalp View Post
SeventyGTX, We live in Florida and quite often camp in Florida. Yes, you will need 2 A/C's … I didn't think that Jayco put a 13.5K BTU unit in the Eagles line but, if that is what you have, here's what I would do:

Replace the 13.5K BTU unit with a 15K BTU unit and move the 13.5K BTU unit to the bedroom.
Thanks, not sure why I didn't think of that but it's a great idea. Since this has the "Whisper Quiet" AC, will that unit still work in the bedroom? I assume the bedroom will take a standard unit that just shoots out the bottom and not hooked up to the vents.

I contacted Jayco to see what it came with and they sent me a pdf file which clearly states it has a 13.5k unit.
Old 01-14-2020, 12:00 PM   #6

Definitely go for 2 units. You want the backup available when needed. You will kick yourself the first time you need it but didn't have it.

We have 2 units in our Greyhawk and it takes both to cool the thing down effectively. I don't think my 2 units would be enough for temps much above 100.

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:14 PM   #7

Another question I have is would the 2nd AC in the bedroom also be controlled by the thermostat in conjuction with the main unit?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Another question I have is would the 2nd AC in the bedroom also be controlled by the thermostat in conjuction with the main unit?
Your rig is pre-wired for the 2nd a/c since you have 50 amp. That prep also includes the thermostat wiring in the wall to add one for the 2nd a/c. Also you can opt to connect the bedroom to the ducted system or use it for just the bedroom. That is controlled by whatever ceiling kit you buy when you add the 2nd a/c.
Old 01-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Your rig is pre-wired for the 2nd a/c since you have 50 amp. That prep also includes the thermostat wiring in the wall to add one for the 2nd a/c. Also you can opt to connect the bedroom to the ducted system or use it for just the bedroom. That is controlled by whatever ceiling kit you buy when you add the 2nd a/c.
Thanks for the info Grumpy. Do you know if I could use my existing 13.5k unit in the bedroom, then get a 15k for the rear?
Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM   #10

I agree with the others; you'll definitely want a 2nd AC. Not putting one on my travel trailer is one of the few things I regretted on that unit (I also had 2nd AC prep with 50A service). I would've put in a 2nd unit, but we traded out of that trailer into a MH. When we traded, one AC unit was a deal breaker on the new unit.

I'll echo Triplebvalp's idea (assuming your main unit is in fact 13.5). I would move the existing unit to the front, and put a 15K unit where the 13.5 was.

The AC units themselves are standard, but everything below the roof line can be one of many different configurations. So you won't need a "special" unit because you have "whisper quiet" system, but it might be a little more difficult to change out. I can't speak directly to that part. And you'll have to choose how you want the unit up front configured. This will depend on whether you have duct access at the front mounting area. If you have access, you can tie that unit into your existing duct work (this is more likely). Coleman has what they call a "chill grille" setup which will allow you to dump most of the output right at the unit, or close off the plenum and force the air through the ducts.

I just removed an 11K unit from my MH and replaced it with a high efficiency 13.5K unit. It was plug and play. Both units are tied into the duct work and both have chill grille, so I have about as much flexibility as I can get with that setup...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #11

Thanks guys. I emailed Jayco to find what Coleman part number I would need for the bedroom ceiling assembly. Hopefully they can tell me.
Old 01-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks, not sure why I didn't think of that but it's a great idea. Since this has the "Whisper Quiet" AC, will that unit still work in the bedroom? I assume the bedroom will take a standard unit that just shoots out the bottom and not hooked up to the vents.

I contacted Jayco to see what it came with and they sent me a pdf file which clearly states it has a 13.5k unit.
The main unit is " ducted " & the bedroom is not. There might be a retro kit but I don't know. I have a 15k main & 13.5 in BR and once in awhile wished for both being 15k when it's 100+ & 80% humidity. You need 2 for sure or your DW will not be happy.
If your handy , PPL usually is the cheapest on line supplier on AC's
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 03:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
The main unit is " ducted " & the bedroom is not. There might be a retro kit but I don't know. I have a 15k main & 13.5 in BR and once in awhile wished for both being 15k when it's 100+ & 80% humidity. You need 2 for sure or your DW will not be happy.
If your handy , PPL usually is the cheapest on line supplier on AC's
Ok that is where I was getting a bit confused as Grumpy stated you can hookup the bedroom unit to the ducted system. Either way is no big deal. If we have to adjust the bedroom manually, so be it.

Yes, I am handy and have plenty of tools and could do it myself, but getting that 86 pound unit on the roof would be a challenge to say the least.
Old 01-14-2020, 04:58 PM   #14

I have 2 a/c units and both are tied into the ductwork but that was factory installed. What I like is being able to run both for a quick cool down then which ever one I want to keep the temp. If we happen to be in the living area watching a movie or have company we can run the bedroom a/c and have less a/c noise in living area.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaycoMLOK View Post
I have 2 a/c units and both are tied into the ductwork but that was factory installed. What I like is being able to run both for a quick cool down then which ever one I want to keep the temp. If we happen to be in the living area watching a movie or have company we can run the bedroom a/c and have less a/c noise in living area.
Thanks, I will contact Jayco and see if I can purchase everything needed to connect it to the ducting. Can't really find much info in a net search.

edit: I think I found the correct ceiling assembly. Not sure what else I will need, but will give PPL a call in the morning...

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...ducted_06.0700
Old 01-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #16

I'm with triplebvalp get a 15 k and move the 13.5 to the bedroom. You will need other things like a thermostat, mounting bracket, gasket and such.

Maybe look around for a mobile tech to help you with it he will more than likely have the experience you need
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks, I will contact Jayco and see if I can purchase everything needed to connect it to the ducting. Can't really find much info in a net search.

edit: I think I found the correct ceiling assembly. Not sure what else I will need, but will give PPL a call in the morning...
PPL or any reputable dealer can help you order the right part. You can even call Air-Xcel and they will give you the part numbers that you need to order.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #18

From Nevada to Alabama, that will take a little getting used to. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out well for you.
2naEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 06:17 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2naEagle View Post
From Nevada to Alabama, that will take a little getting used to. Good luck to you and I hope everything works out well for you.
Yep, it's going to be quite the shock, but we're ready for some GREEN foilage, trees and warmer winters. Waking up to single digits and teens in the winter gets old. Today is high in the mid 30's with 20 mph wind and that's normal. Not to mention can barely grow a thing.

The main reason for heading down that way, is my wife wants to be closer to her son in Ft Lauderdale as we get older. That area is way too congested and expensive for us and why we are looking at more rural areas north of there.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:27 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
PPL or any reputable dealer can help you order the right part. You can even call Air-Xcel and they will give you the part numbers that you need to order.
I will give them a ring soon. I went out and took the bedroom vent frame out to see if I could find any wires or ducts. Besides the wood studs on the left and right, the front and back of the opening had thin plywood covering the openings. The forward side had a hole punched in it and I took a pic of what I saw. I have no clue what that is or why the plywood was broke like that.....