Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #1

Window Leaks!

I just discovered that the rear window in my 2021 Jayco Fifth Wheel is leaking. I'm living temporarily full time in this trailer at the RV Park. This is a side opening framed window, and never had an issue with it before. I've owned the trailer for about 10 months. I figured that they just didn't get the seal set right at the factory. I came home yesterday and noticed the same type of window in my bedroom is now leaking. Both leeks seem to be coming from the very top frame of the window, and dripping down to the bottom, splashing water down to the floor. My question is I've never had to deal with the framed windows leaking does anybody know the secret to getting the outer frames off so that I can reset the seal? Thanks all.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 11:22 AM   #2
CAG

Is it leaking or condensation?

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:33 PM   #3

Living in an RV in the winter months generate a lot of moisture and condensation. You should be running a dehumidifier to keep the moisture levels at normal.

Like said, you need to determine if it's a water leak or condensation. Either way, you need to keep your humidity levels under control.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 12:40 PM   #4

No it doesn't look like condensation. Both windows are dripping dripping dripping when it rains and then as soon as the rain dies down they stop dripping.
qs271a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by qs271a View Post
No it doesn't look like condensation. Both windows are dripping dripping dripping when it rains and then as soon as the rain dies down they stop dripping.
Recently we thought our window was leaking but it turns out the sealant at the gutter line had issues. Water was running down. May/may not be your issue.

When we 1st had our unit, we took it to the dealer because the bedroom window had water in the track plus there was water in the basement. They never ever found the leak for the window and replaced the seals around the storage doors for the basement. The only problem was it still leaked into the basement and in the window. We went camping and there was a good rain. We had put out the awning and several friends were trying to follow the rain trail in the basement while 2 of us got up on the roof. Sure enough, there small holes just above that window/storage area. Fixed it.
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #6

Post a picture of the window for us.

Usually the window is a 2 part frame. There is an exterior part and an interior part. There is some gasketing material between the outer frame and the sidewall. There would be screws from the inside frame to the outside that line the window. You would need to unscrew all the screws and pull off the interior frame and then the exterior frame will either fall out or need to be pushed out. Make sure you have someone outside to support it.
Clean the frame and the sidewall.
With the window out, put a strip of butyl tape all aloing the outside of the window and push the window back into place. Tighten up the screws and be sure that you see butyl tape squeezing out. Trim off the butyl tape and run a bead of caulking to ensure a tight seal.

Again... that's a traditional RV window. Pretty easy to do. Plenty of youtube videos to show you.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #7

I had to repair a leak on a two part window just as was recommended in the post by spoon059. So...x2 on the method suggested!
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 01:36 PM   #8

Before removing the window I would try to find out where it it leaking. Put some painters tape over areas and spray with a hose, while someone is inside looking for the leak until you find where it is leaking. Had the same issues with my back windows on my 2021 Jayco, just started after about 10 months. My windows had weeping holes at the top and bottom of the windows with the top weeping holes having plugs. Turned out the leak was where the weeping hole plugs were. Pulled them out put some silicon in there put the plugs back in and no more leaks.
Nickoli407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 01:42 PM   #9

Simple. Remove window, apply new butyl tape, re-install and caulk. Chances are Jayco didn't apply the caulk or butyl tape good enough.
Windows are two piece and smaller ones remove and install pretty easy.

It's also possible that Jayco messed up on the window cutout but not as possible as poor caulking and butyl.

FWIW I had a similar leak on an SOB TT. I looked all around and everything on the outside was good. During heavy rains water would leak down the inside of the wall. Same slider type window. TT went back to the factory for other items and they removed and re-installed the window and that fixed it.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote