Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-02-2020, 12:07 PM   #1

Winegard Connect Anywhere Router

We have a 2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS with the Winegard Air 360+ exterior antenna including the LTE and WiFi antennas. I just purchased the Winegard Connect Anywhere router from Amazon. The directions for install were easy to follow.

Removing the ceiling cap in the bedroom located under the exterior dome, the power wires and 3 antenna wires were exactly where they were supposed to be. They had been cable-tied to the ceiling cap so removing the cap easily exposed them.

After pulling down the excess wiring through the hole, the power wire (18awg) was about 4 feet long. One wire is solid white, one white with green stripe. Both ends had nice little crimp connectors that made adding the power lead for the router easy. I made sure both were solidly in the connector with a little tug. Black wire connected to the green striped wire in ceiling, red to white wire in the ceiling.

After connecting the 3 antenna leads to the router, then pushing all the excess wiring back into the hole in the ceiling, I powered the coach again from the front bay battery disconnect. Interior lights worked, so power was good.

However, the router internal LED never lit. I'm not sure if there is a switch somewhere in the coach to apply power to the wires which were in the ceiling, again they were cable-tied to the ceiling so they must be meant to power the router. I have not yet checked the wires in the ceiling with a multi-meter.

The router did come with a switch in the kit, but the instructions note that if your RV manufacturer prewires for the router, it may not be necessary. Sine we had the power wires already installed, I didn't think it necessary. If the switch is necessary, where in the coach are the wires which the switch breaks/connects to power the router?

Anyone have any experience with this router install and if there is some switch somewhere I'm missing? In the living area behind the TV the OTA antenna booster is powered. That would seem an odd way to control the router anyway. Does this only get power if you are applying AC to the converter?
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:08 PM   #2

Problem solved

I called Jayco Customer Support and they said the two power wires in the ceiling, one solid white one white with a green stripe were as follows:
White with Green Stripe wire - Power wire +
White wire - Ground -

So the 9.5 inch power lead for the router should be Red wire connected to white with green stripe and Black wire connected to the white wire.

I had them reversed. Once I flipped them, voila!
Old 08-07-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

Educate me on what this router will do please.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
Educate me on what this router will do please.
The router Winegard Anywhere Connect works with the Air 360+ roof mount antenna. Under the dome of the Air 360+ is the OTA omnidirectional tv antenna, 2 Mimo cellular antennas and a Wifi antenna.

RV Manufacturers may install the Air 360+ on newer coaches, but generally the router is an add-on, after-market or optional configuration.

At least on my 2020 Eagle coach, in the bedroom immediately under the mounting location of the roof antenna dome, was a small plastic white cap. Removing the cap revealed the wiring to connect the router. There were 3 antenna leads, 2 for the Mimo cellular, 1 for Wifi, and the power wires. All those we cable-tied to the cap so removing it easily revealed them.

The router comes with a cellular SIM installed for the Winegard Freedom Go pay as you go data plan. This plan leases data on the AT&T cell network. You can also opt to install SIMs from your own data plans on AT&T or Verizon. If you're a weekender then the Freedom Go plan may make the most the sense as you don't have to pay for months you don't need it. 1GB of data is $20 for a month. Both Verizon & AT&T advertise data plans with unlimited data for $80 a month, but again you have enter in monthly contract just like a cell phone.

The router also has the ability to use a parks Wifi and rebroadcast inside your coach. If the park Wifi is not overloaded, then this might be an option. It really depends on the park Wifi setup and most are sorely lacking in sufficient speed to do much of anything.

I did a speedtest on the router while connected to the cellular Freedom Go network and at the coach storage location which has good cell coverage, I had 20Mbps throughput upstream and downstream. Needless to say that was rather encouraging but parking out at campsite will be the better test.

Inside your coach once installed, you will have your own Wifi network just like you may at home. Whether you're connecting to the internet over the cellular network or a parks Wifi network, your connections inside the coach can use the Wifi from your router. With a good connection and large data plan you could use Netflix or other streaming services in your coach given you have a smart TV or installed OTT device like a FireTV stick. Just for reference, the estimates I've seen on streaming over a data plan you need around 3GB of data to watch one hour and that may not even be at the highest quality.
Old 08-07-2020, 12:13 PM   #5

Highlander - I just ordered a '21 Pinnacle which we hope to get in September / October time frame. We currently use a Verizon Jetpack for our wireless service and to create a wi-fi network inside the 5th wheel, and I have been thinking about getting a WeBoost antennae to boost the signal in parks with low signal strength.

Do you know if the the Winegard system + router acts as a cell signal booster similar to the WeBoost units? If so, it seems like I should consider.
GreenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #6

If it would boost cell reception would be a reason for me to add this. I just use my phones hotspot now but one place we stay in the Ozarks several times a year signal is too weak to even talk on so no streaming.
Some of these rates for service are mind blowing to me. We have 2 Verizon business lines on unlimited + iPhone 11's for that same $80 mo. this router plan costs. I get all kinds of discounts for longevity as we started when Verizon was GTE and those shoebox size bag phones. When we sold our business & retired our Verizon Rep told us to never drop our business plan as it would just keep getting cheaper.
poohbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:42 AM   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamdrdream
We have Winegard Connect and also a WeBoost. Covers our needs. Winegard does nothing to boost cell reception.
Iamdrdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
If it would boost cell reception would be a reason for me to add this. I just use my phones hotspot now but one place we stay in the Ozarks several times a year signal is too weak to even talk on so no streaming.
Some of these rates for service are mind blowing to me. We have 2 Verizon business lines on unlimited + iPhone 11's for that same $80 mo. this router plan costs. I get all kinds of discounts for longevity as we started when Verizon was GTE and those shoebox size bag phones. When we sold our business & retired our Verizon Rep told us to never drop our business plan as it would just keep getting cheaper.
Probably not in the class of WeBoost, but Winegard states on the specs the Mimo antennas are 3X a phone. Given they are larger and on the roof, it has to be some better than then tiny antenna in a phone or jet pack.

https://winegard.com/products/cellul...ateway/gateway
Old 08-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBear View Post
Highlander - I just ordered a '21 Pinnacle which we hope to get in September / October time frame. We currently use a Verizon Jetpack for our wireless service and to create a wi-fi network inside the 5th wheel, and I have been thinking about getting a WeBoost antennae to boost the signal in parks with low signal strength.

Do you know if the the Winegard system + router acts as a cell signal booster similar to the WeBoost units? If so, it seems like I should consider.
Winegard says in the specs the antenna is 3X a phone. Given it's on the roof and larger, there has to be bit gained. However, I don't think they are in the class of a WeBoost. The wifi is stated as 1/3 mile. I think the Connect2.0 has a 1 mile range. Not sure why they didn't add the second Wifi antenna like in the Connect2.0. There's a good write up here: https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/win...ty-to-new-rvs/

If you want to go first class, and why skimp if you're doing a Pinnacle. I would check out these guys offer. https://www.mobilemusthave.com/

I've heard they will put together a package depending on the needs you have. The Pepwave routers sound really good and offer dual SIMs so you load up with AT&T and Verizon.