Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #1

Winegard GW-1000 Gateway

For those of you that have this, did you do the install? Watching youtube videos it looks easy but I seem to recall the install in a Jayco Eagle can be difficult. Our rig has the Wingard 360 with the Gateway prep in the bedroom.
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 06:39 AM   #2

Hi Mikayles,
I did the install and it was really easy. A month later I picked up this off amazon so I could turn it on/off. I don't remember if an on/off switch was in the box.... if it was, I accidentally threw it out.
If you look at the mounting bracket, there is a lever action to attach/detach it from the ceiling. Mine faces toward the driver's side and looks great except the ceiling angles up in the kitchen. The gateway doesn't exactly follow the ceiling's angle and I suspect if I had turned it 90 degrees it would hug the ceiling better. If you have the same concern, try putting the bracket so the release lever points toward your tow vehicle and see if the gateway follows the angle better... and let me know and I'll change mine.
PullRite #4452 OE Adapter & #2700 SuperGlide Hitch
Stan&Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:28 AM   #3

if you are putting it in for a booster/repeater... I would save your money...if you want to run a SIM card for mobile WIFI... then it might be worth it.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:26 AM   #4

Thanks for the reply Stan. So the power is there. Thats good news as I wasn't relishing the thought of running power to it. I had read somewhere that Jayco had not run power to wire it up. Mine is in the bedroom. I will be installing a sim card Learjet to use it for mobile WI-FI
Pullrite Superglide.
Mikayles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 04:49 PM   #5

The Winegard Ranger Osprey is a better option than the gateway . I believe that you only have 2 choices with the Air360+ anyway , but most people dont know about the Ranger Osprey .
The Ranger Osprey is a stronger, faster dual band 5ghz and 2.4ghz - cat 6 modem (or cat 12 is available for more $$$) that accepts a sim card as well . It will boost nearby (campground) wireless signal , and with a sim card, can be used as a cell booster .

We used the Ranger Osprey last season and found it worked well . We ony used it for wireless signal boost from the campground wifi signal , but it did pick up the camp wifi and broadcast it inside the RV , where our devices/phones could not without it.
It plugged right into the color coded wires and 12v power under the Air360+ .

Pricey, but it does work ........ better than the Winegard Gateway most reviews say.
I think they are about $400. new, but sometimes you can find them on ebay slightly used for a better deal.
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 09:36 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatguy View Post
We used the Ranger Osprey last season and found it worked well
I've seen it advertised and eager to know more.
  1. Does it use the same 5 wires as the 1000... green/yellow/red snap connectors and two power?
  2. How does it look in your camper... can you attach a photo?
  3. What about power on/off... how did you handle that?
  4. Is the web interface any better than the 1000?
  5. Do you need to remove it from your ceiling to access the SIM slot?
Old 12-08-2022, 04:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan&Sharon View Post
I've seen it advertised and eager to know more.
  1. Does it use the same 5 wires as the 1000... green/yellow/red snap connectors and two power?
  2. How does it look in your camper... can you attach a photo?
  3. What about power on/off... how did you handle that?
  4. Is the web interface any better than the 1000?
  5. Do you need to remove it from your ceiling to access the SIM slot?
1. Yes it uses the exact same connections as the 1000 . As long as you have the Air 360+ on the top of your rv , you should have all the appropriate hook ups (not just the 360 , it must have the + !) . If you are lucky , you will probably also have the 12v power and ground as well .

2. Looks ok on the ceiling , about 1" tall and maybe 6"x6" footprint . Blends in with the ceiling just fine . (sorry, dont have a picture) .

3. I just left mine powered up , no switch . I have solar, so I really never worry about a little parasitic draw . I suppose you can just hook up an inline on-off switch on the power or ground lead . I did not use the cellular feature , but if I was I would prob want a way to shut it off if I wasn't using it .

4.I never used the 1000, but the Ranger Osprey interface is quite simple , even for someone like myself who is pretty tech illiterate , lol . I was able to get it to work and figure it out pretty easy , so .......

5.Yes, I would say it should come off its mounting tray to access the sim slot . Just an FYI , only the mounting tray screws to the ceiling, and the unit itself will demount if you need it for anything . Just have to unhook the 3 wires, and unplug the 12v power.

There are a few reviews on line for the Ranger Osprey, and most of them are comparing it to the 1000 . I think pretty much all the reviews conclude that the Ranger Osprey is vastly superior .

Good luck with your decision !
boatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 01:31 PM   #8

GW 1000 in Eagle

I put the GW1000 in our new 321RSTS. It was quite easy and wired up easily just like in the youtube videos. I wanted a switch other than installing a remote switch in the wall, so ordered a micro switch from amazon, and stuck it on the side of the GW1000 box. I need a chair to reach the switch, but that's okay. ATT sold me a sim card on a "tablet plan" for unlimited data at 25$/month. I had doubts any of it would work, but in fact it works well, and we are very happy with it.

davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:32 PM   #9

So I’m about ready to pull the lever on the Osprey but I have a few questions: my 2021 JAYCO 36SSWS WHICH came with the Winegard Gateway. Can I simply remove the POS GW Wireless router and the Osprey will just bolt right into the bedroom ceiling in the same spot
Old 07-31-2023, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer View Post
So I’m about ready to pull the lever on the Osprey but I have a few questions: my 2021 JAYCO 36SSWS WHICH came with the Winegard Gateway. Can I simply remove the POS GW Wireless router and the Osprey will just bolt right into the bedroom ceiling in the same spot

See this youtube video. I suspect it will explain everything you'll want to know.