Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #1

Winegard Trav'ler Satellite Not Showing HD Channels

I have a Winegard Trav'ler mounted on the roof of my 2017 Pinnacle FBTS. There are times when certain channels will not show in HD, but will in SD. I checked the signal strength when this happens and satellite 101 and 103 (the HD satellites) are below 50, thus I think I understand why, just do not know what is causing this. I have been at some sites where there is no obstacle like trees, and yet this problem persists.
Has anyone else experienced this problem? If so how did you resolve it? I have already contacted Wingard and they sent me a new LNB and reflector dish, but that has not helped.
morrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

Are sure it's not your receiver? Even at 50% you should still get an HD picture, it will just degrade faster with rain.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:34 AM   #3

For testing purposes, I'd suggest temporarily running a single piece of RG-6 cable with compression connectors from the satellite dish to the receiver. Running this test would prove whether or not there is an issue with the RG-6 cabling that you are now using. If you don't have access to compression connectors or the tool to install them, you could purchase a length of cable with compression connectors attached at Home Depot or Lowes for this test.

Jayco's install of RG-6 cabling in my trailer is shoddy and does not meet DirecTV's standards for satellite cabling.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #4

Try removing and reinserting the credit card looking thing that is probably on the front of your receiver. Mine was behind a door.

Had a similar thing and this worked for me.
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:47 PM   #5

Are the channels in question the "local" channels, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX? This happened to us with these channels and it turned out that we were outside our local home area. Now we are in the process of getting a FCC waiver from DirecTV. Since we live in San Diego, we will be authorized to get the Los Angeles Nationwide feed so that as we travel, we can get these channels without having to go to non-HD (if close to home area), or having to call them to change our address to the city we are near.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

How do you get an FCC waiver?
Jace817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #7

Call DirecTV and get the right person on the phone. I found her on my 3rd try. They send it to via snail mail. It’s s legal doc. I am waiting for mine now. Fill it out and mail to FCC. FCC will approve it and mail it to DirecTV. You may need to call them one last time. Not sure how long this takes. I am in the process now. First I was told we couldn’t get local channels. Then I was told to call each time we move locations. Then I found this person who said the waiver is designed just for RVers.
Good luck!
bethcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace817 View Post
How do you get an FCC waiver?
DNS for your RV, car or boat
Certain types of vehicles are eligible for DNS without requiring home address eligibility. For eligible vehicles, see item No. 11 of the FCC Satellite Home Viewer Improvement Act fact sheet. Boats and other marine vessels do not qualify for this special consideration.

Note: A separate monthly package is required to enjoy DNS in your vehicle.

To add DNS to your mobile service
Send a copy of your vehicle registration, a completed Mobile Vehicle Affidavit Declaration of Intent form, and a copy of your commercial driver's license (if requesting service for a commercial vehicle) to the address listed below.

DIRECTV
Attn: Mobile Network Services
P.O. Box 6550
Greenwood Village, CO 80155
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethcb View Post
Then I found this person who said the waiver is designed just for RVers.
Good luck!
But as I posted above you have to activate a seperate account for your RV. You cannot take a receiver from home.

Forgot to add, it is also an additional $20.00 a month.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no hd, trav'ler, wingard