Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #1

winterizing

We have a 2012 Jayco 321 RLTS. I went to winterize it today. I first blew out the lines then went to ad RV antifreeze for added protection. I had a hard time getting the pump to siphon I did everything according to the manual. I kept trying different things. Finally it started to siphon and I have no idea what I was doing wrong because I don't know what made it start working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
KWDAILYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #2

Couple thoughts. The valves to the winterizing hose and fw tank may not have been fully flipped. Another thought the pump was totally dry, and just had a hard time getting primed.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
We have a 2012 Jayco 321 RLTS. I went to winterize it today. I first blew out the lines then went to ad RV antifreeze for added protection. I had a hard time getting the pump to siphon I did everything according to the manual. I kept trying different things. Finally it started to siphon and I have no idea what I was doing wrong because I don't know what made it start working. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm not sure is this is your issue or not. But on many, many Jaycos - the inlet Check Valve is too stiff, the pump has a hard time overcoming the spring.

The usual advice is to pull the conical screen out, flip it so the point, points in to depress the spring. The winterize.

This may NOT be your issue. With a 2012, you'd have thought it would have loosened up by now. But, who knows.

I flip the screen on mine and raise the bottles up high. To ease the work of the pump.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cdpty2ayry...izing.pdf?dl=0
Old 09-24-2020, 04:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
I'm not sure is this is your issue or not. But on many, many Jaycos - the inlet Check Valve is too stiff, the pump has a hard time overcoming the spring.

The usual advice is to pull the conical screen out, flip it so the point, points in to depress the spring. The winterize.

This may NOT be your issue. With a 2012, you'd have thought it would have loosened up by now. But, who knows.

I flip the screen on mine and raise the bottles up high. To ease the work of the pump.

That's the first I've heard about the screen. I do put the bottles about 2 ft. off the ground. Thanks for the input. I will try to remember these suggestions come spring when I sanitize the water system.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:24 AM   #5

Set the bottles in your cargo bay and siphon from that point. The pump is not strong enough to pull. The antifreeze up from the ground. I had the same issues.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
Set the bottles in your cargo bay and siphon from that point. The pump is not strong enough to pull. The antifreeze up from the ground. I had the same issues.
Not pulling from the ground. Bottles are sitting 2 ft. up on a step stool.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:06 AM   #7

It sounds like you used the city water connection on the outside of the TT to winterize, is that correct? Do you not have the winterizing bypass valves (and hose) at the water pump inside under the frig where the pump is located?

If you used the city water connection, yes you do need to flip over the conical hose. The metal screen pushes on the check valve, opening it up so the pump can draw the antifreeze.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 09-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
It sounds like you used the city water connection on the outside of the TT to winterize, is that correct? Do you not have the winterizing bypass valves (and hose) at the water pump inside under the frig where the pump is located?

If you used the city water connection, yes you do need to flip over the conical hose. The metal screen pushes on the check valve, opening it up so the pump can draw the antifreeze.
The owners manual says to hook to the city water connection. This is the first I've heard of turning the metal screen. The manual does not say anything about that. My pump is not located inside under the fridge.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Site Team

I've had this happen lots of times; especially when the pump is running only on battery power. Here's my solution:
  1. Insert a funnel into the end of the hose that pumps the antifreeze from the antifreeze jug.
  2. Hold the end of the hose and stretch it straight up as far from the pump as you can.
  3. Slowly pour the antifreeze into the funnel filling the hose to its end. DO NOT OVERFILL the hose
  4. Remove the funnel and place your thumb over the end of the hose.
  5. Hold the end of hose (with your thumb still over it) over the opening of the antifreze bottle
  6. Then, as quickly as possible, remove your thumb from the end of the hose, insert the hose into the antifreeze bottle; pushing it all the way to the bottom of the bottle.
  7. Start the pump when you're ready to begin filling the waterlines with antifreeze.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
I've had this happen lots of times; especially when the pump is running only on battery power. Here's my solution:
  1. Insert a funnel into the end of the hose that pumps the antifreeze from the antifreeze jug.
  2. Hold the end of the hose and stretch it straight up as far from the pump as you can.
  3. Slowly pour the antifreeze into the funnel filling the hose to its end. DO NOT OVERFILL the hose
  4. Remove the funnel and place your thumb over the end of the hose.
  5. Hold the end of hose (with your thumb still over it) over the opening of the antifreze bottle
  6. Then, as quickly as possible, remove your thumb from the end of the hose, insert the hose into the antifreeze bottle; pushing it all the way to the bottom of the bottle.
  7. Start the pump when you're ready to begin filling the waterlines with antifreeze.
Thanks for the tip. I did do that yesterday. I guess at some pointbit overcame that spring others are talking about because I'd finslly started pumping and I had not idea why.
I am always plugged into shore power at home.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:24 AM   #11

Quote:

Yep, this is what I seen the guy that have a Jayco class A when he did it on YouTube, he also had to turn that screen around first so it could draw water through the hole.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:16 AM   #12

I just winterized yesterday. I flipped the screen around and it makes a big difference.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:00 PM   #13

Thanks everyone for the tip on flipping the screen around. Glad I came here to ask.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWDAILYD View Post
Thanks everyone for the tip on flipping the screen around. Glad I came here to ask.
You have no idea how many times this screen issue comes up in winterizing threads... You'll see it mentioned a hundred times in the next few months...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 06:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
You have no idea how many times this screen issue comes up in winterizing threads... You'll see it mentioned a hundred times in the next few months...
In the spring too, when the pump just moves air.

2012 Jayco X23B
Old 10-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #16

There is a you tube video on this that really explains it. My new trailer does not have it so I pour the pink stuff down the sink, toilet and bathtub. Make sure you close off the hot water tank. Otherwise your water is taste yummy next summer.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 07:37 PM   #17

Quote:

This is the trick that is needed on my Jayco Precept.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:34 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Had the same issue just today. Flipped the screen around and the pumped primed itself. The manual should mention this in the winterizing chapter.
rockymountainRVer is offline   Reply With Quote