Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-05-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Winterizing a 2007 Jayco Eagle

When I winterize my 2007 Jayco Eagle, I know I am not supposed to put antifreeze through the water heater. And I know that somewhere there are three valves on the water heater or close to it, (A) Inlet, (B) Outlet and (C) Bypass. Problem is, I can't find these valves anywhere. I can see the water heater when I remove a small wood panel inside from the furnace wall of the storage area on the right side (nearest the water heater). I also see a yellow valve handle but thats it. I want to bypass the water heater before adding antifreeze so as not to put any in the water heater.

Can anyone help me in locating these 3 valves?
JimmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

They would be directly behind the Heater.
Why are you sure you have them? Many pups don't

Did you just buy it?

If you take a pic and post it we could confirm 100 percent
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:30 PM   #3

I just bought it in August from an individual. It was sitting on a campsite and we are just going to leave it there. We moved back home today because of the temperatures but are going back early next week to clean out the food, bedding, etc. Will take pictures then and post them.

I'm not a newbie to piping and valves being an ex-boiler operator and instructor in the Navy back in the 70's but I just don't see them.

Thanks for the reply!
Old 10-05-2014, 01:39 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

than I would be quite certain it doesn't have a bypass kit....just install one

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...pass-kit/15717
Old 10-05-2014, 01:58 PM   #5

Jayco Technical Support says there is and they stressed not to allow any antifreeze into the water heater. They couldn't tell me the exact location of the valves but said they were there.

I'll have to investigate more!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #6

Sometimes a panel has to be removed from the inside, and sometimes there is an adjacent storage area inside or outside that will allow you to access water heater. If you can see the pipes going into and out of the water heater and there is not another pipe in the middle connecting the two, with valves on all three, then it does not have the bypass feature. I would think that a 2007 would have this feature.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 10:59 AM   #7

I just winterized mine last weekend filled water heater before I shut the valves off. Will antifreeze damage the water heater? Should I pull plug and flush with water. Thanks and not trying to hijack his thread
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I just winterized mine last weekend filled water heater before I shut the valves off. Will antifreeze damage the water heater? Should I pull plug and flush with water. Thanks and not trying to hijack his thread

no it will not harm the heater

Just a waste of antifreeze

I would drain it and collect it and reuse it next year perhaps or dump it in your grey and black tanks at least
Old 10-07-2014, 06:16 PM   #9

Thanks, thought I may have caused a problem
chrisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #10

To totally fill the water heater would take about 7 gallons of antifreeze. I would just as soon bypass mine and save some $$$ on antifreeze. Am going to try and find the in, out and bypass valves tomorrow.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:45 PM   #11

Do the inlet and outlet pipes go into and out of the top of the heater? I can see the heater but it's wrapped in thick styrofoam insulation.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:46 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

the cold goes in the bottom usually and the hot out the top
Old 10-12-2014, 05:06 PM   #13

I removed a small panel and I can see the water heater. There is also a small yellow vlalve handle at the bottom and at the top, there is a gray round thing. It appears to be a handle but doesn't turn. I did not find an outlet or a bypass valve and I'm not sure what the yellow one does.

These are the best pics I could get
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1080.jpg   IMG_1081.jpg   IMG_1082.jpg   IMG_1083.jpg  
Old 04-18-2016, 03:30 PM   #14

Ok, here is another issue for no hot water at the faucets. I am posting a picture of my Atwood 6 gallon LP Gas/Electric water heater. This picture is one that I got off the web but looks just like mine which is all hooked up.

The water enters at the lower left just before the ball valve with the yellow handle. Above, there appears to be another valve with a plastic knob on it. What does the upper valve do. Should I have closed or opened it (not knowing it's position now) when I turned on my water after winter storage?

The yellow handle should be inline with the valve for normal use and perpendicular when winterizing. This is per a sticker on the side of the water heater. When I put it in line, I get no hot water. And the tank is full of hot water when I can confirm.

This upper valve has me puzzled, if it's a valve.
TIA
JimmyT
Attached Thumbnails
Atwood Water Heater Bypass Valve.jpg