Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by abarkl View Post
We flush the HWH on occasion to limit hard water build up, just as we do at home.

We thought you were in southern AZ. Do you winterize?
We have never winterized our motorhomes over many years and never a problem.
We actually give more consideration to summerizing our motorhomes by removing soft plastics and candles from overhead cabinets. We have had candles melted and other plastics "stuck" to things with cabinet temperatures reaching 130 F while in storage in the dead of summer.
I understand what you mean by 'the dead of summer' in Phoenix. We're close to the middle of AZ at ~3,400ft; warmer than 'Flag' and cooler than you in 'The Valley'. So I will need to winterize here, but no need to 'summerize'.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 12:14 AM   #22

Just wanted to follow up. Thanks for all the info, it took me quite a bit of time to get it winterized.. mainly due to having to get parts for the air compressor etc but I learned a lot. Looking back I think I can get it winterized in less than an hour or so which is good. Next year will be far easier.
Jarnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #23
Site Team

Good, just like many tasks, the first time is the slowest. It will be quick and easy as you get a couple more under your belt.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #24

It is always better to be slow and correct than to be fast and forget something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 10:08 AM   #25

I see we have other campers from the Phoenix area. We have had a couple of older RVs from time to time and never winterized so we are complete newbies to this and have a couple of questions.

Does anyone from the Phoenix area winterize? Do you put it in the fresh water tank? If you do, how do you flush it?

What is the "pink" stuff? Is it regular auto type antifreeze that you would not want to drain on the ground?

The new TT we just purchased has been winterized and when I checked the tanks the other day it looked like they were all 3/4 full. How do you de-winterize? And what is the best practice for using the city water and fresh water tank after purchasing? Should it be flushed?

We want to go camping this winter in the northern part of the state where it does freeze. What is the best practice for using an RV in freezing weather?

I appreciate all advice and I know I will have many more question.
azrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #26

The "pink stuff" is RV/Marine antifreeze. Do not ever put Auto Antifreeze in your RV plumbing system. The Ethylene Glycol in the Auto stuff will kill you or at least make you very ill.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote