Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #1

Winterizing in the South

We aren't deep South but in upper Arkansas where we may get 1 or 2 months of cold weather. Question is do we really need to fill the lines with antifreeze for those months? Couldn't we just drain the lines, leave the facets open and everything be okay or are their other reasons to fully winterize? Any suggestions for others that live in this region?
Jarnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:02 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

If you blow the lines out, you may be ok.
The difference between winterizing dry and adding anti-freeze is so small it would seem a poor choice not to take the extra step and protect your investment.
JMHO, Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #3

Why risk it? It only takes one good cold snap for the smaller lines in your RV to freeze. At least use a compressor to blow out the lines. Using RV anti-freeze is far, far cheaper than taking half your RV apart to get at the busted pipe. You may get away with it for a long time, but....
Old 11-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #4

The problem is, I still want to go out this year when it's cold. I'm a little worried with the freeze warnings right now.. but I'm wondering if I can hold off until we get multiple days freeze etc.
Jarnae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:35 AM   #5
Site Team

It depends if you have power on the rig. Mine sits in my yard with power and we run a small heater on low inside. If it is going to be a hard freeze here, I will blow the lines out and put a little anti freeze in the traps/toilet.

We usually don't get this type temps until after Christmas, and we camp for 4-5 days at a local park until New Years day. My camper sits unused for about a month in January except for an occasional trip to Myrtle Beach.

Mid February, we are off to Florida for 3-4 weeks when our camping season starts back up,
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 08:55 AM   #6

No question in my mind if you even have the slightest chance that the temp will be down to 32F overnight.
Putting RV antifreeze in is cheap and easy to do vs. repairing a broken fitting or line buried in your unit.
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:16 AM   #7

I blow the lines out and put RV antifreeze down the drain pipes and have never had any problems. HOWEVER, that's not to say that's what you should do

2012 Eagle Super Lite HT 26.5RKS
2005 GMC 2500 SLT HD D/A
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:17 AM   #8

It's your rig, so do what you feel is best.

Personally, for $10 of pink stuff and 20 minutes of time you could save yourself a big pain if you bust a pipe.

Just opening low paint drains and faucets will not get the water out of p-traps under sink.

For me, I just don't know how cold is too cold for water in the RV plumbing to cause damage. Will a light freeze bust plumbing? Pry not. Will it take a hard freeze to bust? How hard of freeze is that?

I've taken an air compressor when cold camping to blow water out of the lines when nights dropped below freezing. It's just too easy of a task considering the risk for damage.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 10:54 AM   #9
Site Team

I agree, precaution is the watchword.

A few minutes of preparation is worth lots of time saved fixing a busted pipe or valve.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:24 PM   #10

peace of mind says add some RV antifreeze. How cold does it get in your area and for how long? If your nightly lowers are in the mid to upper 20's and the day time highs are in the 40's I would say your probably fine with blowing out the lines.

Personally, I just do not want to deal with any issues in the spring, so I antifreeze. I have meet many fellow Minnesotans that only blow out their lines and say they have never had an issue. But as others have said, why risk it. Its not hard to do, and you certainly do not need the freeze protection we need, so if it is a little watered down, that should be ok too. Just remember the traps and outside shower.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #11

I've only ever used air on my trailers. I open all the drains including the hidden ones and then blow air in the city fill while my wife opens and closes taps. I cycle thru the docking station valve settings while doing it. Then I dump enough pink down the drains to get some in the holding tanks. I don't like pink in my fresh water lines as it takes forever to clear it out.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 05:38 PM   #12

Is it that cold ? I mean it's not even cold enough here in Québec yet to do any damage.
My hose outside is not freezing overnight ! It takes at least a 23 for over 24h to do anything Bad.

Envoyé de mon SGH-M919V en utilisant Tapatalk
tortue71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 06:12 PM   #13

I may one day regret it but that is exactly what I do. I first disconnect the fresh water and drain the onboard water tank; then I open (and leave open) the already drained black and gray tanks, open (and again leave open) all the faucets (don't forget any outside ones), flush the toilet, and open all low points. I also briefly turn on the water pump to purge it of the last bit of water. But generally I just leave everything open until my next trip.

I don't have water to my freezer, nor do I have a clothes washer. If you have these items don't forget to drain them.

My reasoning (perhaps flawed) is that during a freeze condition any remaining water CAN easily expand without busting anything as it's not capped on either end.
Old 11-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #14

Living in north-central Texas, we have several cold snaps a year that can freeze pipes and fittings. But we camp a lot in winter so I have to winterize several times a year. Blow it out and add a little antifreeze to the traps and you'll be fine... as long as you don't forget to drain the pump, blow out the toilet and outside shower, and all the other little places water can collect. I did bust an outside shower once but it was -8 and I forgot... If you forget and you're adding antifreeze, those same places will still freeze. Not really fun but necessary.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:31 PM   #15

So what about the water that's in your water heater, I would drain that to.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
So what about the water that's in your water heater, I would drain that to.
Once again, as its now open on both the input and output side I don't touch it. If concerned you can remove its plastic drain cap - just don't loose it.
Old 11-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #17

I pull the plug and flush the water heater each fall when I winterize. Anyone else?
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:44 AM   #18

Is it advisable to keep all of the faucets to the open position? I blew the lines out with are then ran the pink stuff through everything. Should I keep the faucets all "turned on"?

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 HD Duramax SB SRW
schiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiguy View Post
Is it advisable to keep all of the faucets to the open position? I blew the lines out with are then ran the pink stuff through everything. Should I keep the faucets all "turned on"?
We have heard most owners leave the faucets open to prevent any additional moisture build up from being trapped and freezing.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 09:59 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
I pull the plug and flush the water heater each fall when I winterize. Anyone else?
We flush the HWH on occasion to limit hard water build up, just as we do at home.

We thought you were in southern AZ. Do you winterize?
We have never winterized our motorhomes over many years and never a problem.
We actually give more consideration to summerizing our motorhomes by removing soft plastics and candles from overhead cabinets. We have had candles melted and other plastics "stuck" to things with cabinet temperatures reaching 130 F while in storage in the dead of summer.
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote