Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-09-2021, 10:02 AM   #1

Winterizing Sanicon

Those of you that winterize your Sanicon, how many gallons of antifreeze do you have to dump in the toilet to get it to come out of the hose?
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:33 AM   #2

3 gallons, i put it down the bathroom sink into the grey tank and then pump it out. Much cleaner.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWedell View Post
3 gallons, i put it down the bathroom sink into the grey tank and then pump it out. Much cleaner.
Yes it is cleaner. So how much do you put in the black tank to make sure it doesn't freeze up?
Old 11-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #4

no antifreeze, if you are winterizing the unit all of the tanks should be completely empty

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:28 PM   #5

Quote:
no antifreeze, if you are winterizing the unit all of the tanks should be completely empty
I don't agree. Will still put antifreeze in black and grey tanks, even if a small amount.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:33 PM   #6

So, my trailer is a BIG one. 2 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, etc... lots of lines. I also have the Sanicon system. I find it a little comical that some can winterize their units using as few gallons as possible. I recently winterized mine and it took 7 gallons. I use it like I didnt pay for it. Never had a frozen line yet. I'll use about a half gallon in the Sanicon. I take the cap off the hose wand end and pour it down in there. Turn it on and let it "blend" for a short minute.
I also leave a little bit of pink pop in the bottom of the toilet bowl(s) to keep the seals from getting dry and going bad. Since I have 2 sewer outlets, on the grey tanks, I'll open and close the valves real quick to let a little bit of the pink pop out of the tanks and down the lines to the valve gates that are installed on the sewer line ends. Keeps those seals from getting dry as well.
Like I said I use a good 7 gallons of pink pop. Even at $4/gal for the good stuff it's cheap insurance vs having broken or damaged water/sewer lines and components.
Old 11-11-2021, 08:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
So, my trailer is a BIG one. 2 bathrooms, 2 kitchens, etc... lots of lines. I also have the Sanicon system. I find it a little comical that some can winterize their units using as few gallons as possible. I recently winterized mine and it took 7 gallons. I use it like I didnt pay for it. Never had a frozen line yet. I'll use about a half gallon in the Sanicon. I take the cap off the hose wand end and pour it down in there. Turn it on and let it "blend" for a short minute.
I also leave a little bit of pink pop in the bottom of the toilet bowl(s) to keep the seals from getting dry and going bad. Since I have 2 sewer outlets, on the grey tanks, I'll open and close the valves real quick to let a little bit of the pink pop out of the tanks and down the lines to the valve gates that are installed on the sewer line ends. Keeps those seals from getting dry as well.
Like I said I use a good 7 gallons of pink pop. Even at $4/gal for the good stuff it's cheap insurance vs having broken or damaged water/sewer lines and components.
Yep, same here. Took seven gallons this time. At $2.97 @ gallon, cheap insurance.
Old 11-11-2021, 11:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
I don't agree. Will still put antifreeze in black and grey tanks, even if a small amount.
X2, it depends on your 5ver. Some people who have disconnected their sanicon have reported upto 3 gallons of water trapped behind it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:18 AM   #9

I have never used this Sanicon system. Do I have to drain anything from it? It is as it came from the factory
Old 11-12-2021, 07:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
I have never used this Sanicon system. Do I have to drain anything from it? It is as it came from the factory
That's a loaded question, lol. There could be nothing in your Sanicon. It could have dried up from the factory. It could be water in there from the factory. It could be antifreeze in there from the factory. Me, I would get some antifreeze in there even if I never plan on using it. Just me.
Old 11-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #11

I will go out there and pull the drain valve to it and see if anything comes out
Old 11-12-2021, 08:35 AM   #12

Still a rookie, but just winterized for the third year, and starting to get my routine down. First, I flush out all three waste tanks until they run crystal clear.
Then drain and bypass the water heater.
I blow all the lines out, mostly because it's fun to do, then drain the tanks as much as possible. Then draw pink stuff into the lines and go back and make sure that every outlet including the low point drains run pink.

I also run pink stuff into the black tank flush and the fresh water tank fill.

Then I run some more pink stuff into the empty tanks, and open all the drains through the sanicon until it runs pink.

We have a small 1 bathroom 5th wheel. It took 3 gallons to do this. There was no sense pumping more pink stuff in, because everything that drained out was dark pink. (not diluted)
Old 11-12-2021, 08:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Still a rookie, but just winterized for the third year, and starting to get my routine down. First, I flush out all three waste tanks until they run crystal clear.
Then drain and bypass the water heater.
I blow all the lines out, mostly because it's fun to do, then drain the tanks as much as possible. Then draw pink stuff into the lines and go back and make sure that every outlet including the low point drains run pink.

I also run pink stuff into the black tank flush and the fresh water tank fill.

Then I run some more pink stuff into the empty tanks, and open all the drains through the sanicon until it runs pink.

We have a small 1 bathroom 5th wheel. It took 3 gallons to do this. There was no sense pumping more pink stuff in, because everything that drained out was dark pink. (not diluted)
Our weather is not typically anywhere as wicked as yours, lol. Ours has 4 waste tanks and all very clean. I did put 3 gals. of water and happy camper in the black tanks, not sure if it would do any harm to leave, but can dump them easy enough. I will try for the first time the air routine tomorrow as our lows next Monday will be 31F, yickes!! But back in the high 60's- low 70's over the next couple of days after that. I spoke with my dealer and he says it should be alright for me to follow up with a heater in the basement with the access panel open, and 2 more inside the unit with cabinet doors cracked. Our water heater is a tankless unit, and I did pull the pressure relief valve although there is no water connected. I removed the drinking water tank and turned off the icemaker. Dealer said there should be some kind of valve accessible through the outside for the water line to the fridge but I didn't find one. I did disconnect the fresh water line briefly but found no water there.
Old 11-12-2021, 10:35 AM   #14

put into gray tank and pump until it is flowing pink. Then disconnect that things and never use it again... LOL
Textman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 12:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textman View Post
put into gray tank and pump until it is flowing pink. Then disconnect that things and never use it again... LOL
Good idea
Old 11-12-2021, 12:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textman View Post
Sure, make Sanicon jokes all you want. Then I'll see you at the "Dumping your tanks 50 feet away uphill" contest.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:45 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Those of you that winterize your Sanicon, how many gallons of antifreeze do you have to dump in the toilet to get it to come out of the hose?
This is what I found. the Sani-Con Unit
Ensure all tanks are empty.
Pour RV antifreeze into the empty black water tank (O). ...
Turn on pump.
Run the pump until the antifreeze begins to discharge from the universal nozzle (G).
Turn pump switch to the Off position
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 03:21 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Turn on pump.
Run the pump until the antifreeze begins to discharge from the universal nozzle (G).
Yep, that's what I do. I also do that with the gray tanks. Don't want any surprises in either of them.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Johnson View Post
Turn on pump.

I went out today and took that hose out for the first time since buying the unit. Removed the little cap on the end and flipped it over and pink stuff started dribbling out. Quickly turned it over and recapped it, I think I am good lol. Factory stuff hanging in there?
Old 11-12-2021, 05:34 PM   #20

Thumbs up

Sound great
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote