Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #1

Winterizing with a residential fridge

I just purchased a 2019 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK fifth wheel with a residential refer. How is the best way to winterize this with the pink stuff
ZackM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZackM View Post
I just purchased a 2019 Jayco Eagle 317RLOK fifth wheel with a residential refer. How is the best way to winterize this with the pink stuff
Did you get the manual? Some res fridge do not allow pink stuff. Our unit does not.

Here is the link for the manual just in case. https://www.jayco.com/uploads/rvs/ma...lor%20RevA.pdf
USMC Veterans (both of us)
Marine71-76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2022, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine71-76 View Post
Did you get the manual? Some res fridge do not allow pink stuff. Our unit does not.

Here is the link for the manual just in case. https://www.jayco.com/uploads/rvs/ma...lor%20RevA.pdf
Then what is the recommended procedure?
ZackM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:19 AM   #4

That’s a good question. (Although I don’t have a residential)

Blowing the lines out would only work if you could cycle the ice maker. On the other hand, I’ve never heard of someone having to replace parts due to freezing.
Old 06-11-2022, 12:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHen View Post
That’s a good question. (Although I don’t have a residential)

Blowing the lines out would only work if you could cycle the ice maker. On the other hand, I’ve never heard of someone having to replace parts due to freezing.
If you have an ice maker and water dispenser, you absolutely must winterize or parts will freeze. Mine did.

Remove the water filter and run pink stuff through it. Blowing out lines will not get to the water in the pumps on the back of the unit.

Todd
Just outside Philly
2018 377RLBH
2019 Ford F450 Platinum
Old Faithful: 2004 GMC Sierra 3500 Diesel Dually
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 12:37 PM   #6

Winterizing fridge

We have the double door resid. fridge with the ice and water in the door.
First I remove the filter, then I pull the pickup tube out of the water jug and run the water out of the deck faucet and the fridge water dispenser. Next I put the pickup tube into a gallon of antifreeze and run the deck faucet until pink comes out, then do the same with the water dispenser in the door, empty any ice cubes in the freezer and wait for pink ice cubes, the turn off the pump and icemaker switch. This all needs to be done a day or two ahead of time so the icemaker can clear out water and replace it with pink stuff.

I hope this helps- this is the process my dealer told me to use. did it last winter and the system was fine this spring. In the Spring, put the pickup tube into a jug of water and run water into the the water dispenser and deck faucet until clear, it will take a bit of time for the icemaker to clear out the pink stuff and make clean clear ice,, Don't forget to turn on the icemaker, or you will be waiting a long time for it to make ice, like I did.
1SUPER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:00 PM   #7

Also run the water through the water dispenser in the door of the fridg. until clear.
1SUPER1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 05:39 AM   #8

I'm not sure if we have the same fridge but my manual also says not to use antifreeze in the Whirlpool side by side. I can't exactly remember the details but there is a push connector for the tubing under the bottom kick plate. It says to disconnect the tubing and blow air across it to get any water to flow out. I've not had very much as I first open the low point drain on that side of the Pinnacle which appears to be only for the ice maker and water spigot lines. I did do away with the bottle and pump system if that matters.

I've done this the past 2 years without any issues. Last year we had a low of 8 below and this year it got close to zero a few times. I also haven't used any pink stuff for the rest of the coach, just air.
F350guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 08:12 AM   #9

It is true that the Whirlpool side-by-side fridge says to not use antifreeze in the system. However, when ours came from the factory, it had antifreeze in it, and it took us a while to get that out of the ice.

I don't know for sure what the issue could be there, other than getting antifreeze into the filter. I can't see where it would hurt any of the other components in the system.

I blow ours out, and I just hit the water side until water stops running, and all is good. I still don't know if ours is configured correctly or not, but we get water into our fridge via the city water connection. We have ice and water in the door, and have NEVER had a drop of water in our jug.

I read a post (I believe on here), that also said that any water that is in the freezer side of the door should be OK, because that water is "frozen" all the time anyway. That was good advice that made sense. I do wish however, that there was a better way to get water out of the line going to the ice maker. That's the line that I worry the most about...
Old 06-13-2022, 03:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F350guy View Post
I'm not sure if we have the same fridge but my manual also says not to use antifreeze in the Whirlpool side by side. I can't exactly remember the details but there is a push connector for the tubing under the bottom kick plate. It says to disconnect the tubing and blow air across it to get any water to flow out. I've not had very much as I first open the low point drain on that side of the Pinnacle which appears to be only for the ice maker and water spigot lines. I did do away with the bottle and pump system if that matters.

I've done this the past 2 years without any issues. Last year we had a low of 8 below and this year it got close to zero a few times. I also haven't used any pink stuff for the rest of the coach, just air.
The year I decided to follow the manual and siphon water out via compressed air over the tube ends was the year my pump valve froze and burst.

That was also the last year I used that method.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:56 PM   #11

Yes, the water seems to like to hang out near my pump when I blow the lines out. I need to do it a few times using different drain points to get it all out. I blow out the low point drains, close them and blow to the fresh tank, open and closing different faucets, switch the valves to blow to the hot water tank, then back to the low points. Adding A low point drain right at the pump would probably solve that problem.

But I need to do that about 5 times over the winter because we stay in it almost every month for at least a few days. We are 3 hours from our parents and kids, so it’s parked near them so we can visit regularly.
Old 06-14-2022, 05:02 AM   #12

I’ve used pink stuff for two years in my Pinnacle’s Whirlpool fridge with no issues. Secret is to leave time overnight for ice maker to create a tray of flushy pink ice cubes, then turn it off and store the ice bucket. Also make sure pink flows out of low point drain by momentarily turning it on and out of sink an fridge water dispenser. The fridge will pass water with filter removed so that’s the first thing to go. I gave the Jayco bottle of water in the basement so system is not on the site water supply. This creates an easy point to put a bucket of pink stuff for pump to suck in
Pdcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:39 PM   #13

On my daughters Jayco we installed a auxillary switch to allow for operation of the water solenoid. This allowed us to blow the water out of the ice maker, Caution: Only run the solenoid for few seconds at a time to eliminate overheating.
saarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:08 PM   #14

I blow the lines out. Never had a problem. We take out the water filter and keep the icemaker on. Unscrew the connection under the slide leading to the reefer and drain. Reconnect and blow the lines through.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote