Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-01-2019, 06:53 PM   #1

Winterizing with Whirlpool Residential Fridge

Ok, I know most are tired of seeing threads about winterizing. But this is my first year with a residential fridge. We have the 2019 Jayco 355mbqs with the Whirlpool side by side fridge with ice and water dispenser in the door. I have many questions about winterizing. Here in San Antonio, we can get by blowing out the lines. However, I've never done that with a res fridge. I know I have a valve on a water line in the island. Not sure about under the stove behind the drawer. Am I better off draining all the low point drains, then drawing anti-freeze into the fridge and cycling the ice maker a few times til there's slush? Or can I forego the antifreeze and blow air in the lines and cycle the ice make for the air to come out? How do I manually cycle the ice maker to be able to blow the air out? Also, if I remove the fridge water filter, is there a bypass I have to put in to be able to draw the water out of the dispenser? I've already seen threads where just draining the low point drains isn't good enough for the water in the fridge lines. As you can tell I need help. I do not want to have any busted lines in the Spring. Thanks in advance!
rkymntsno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:00 PM   #2

I'm north of you in Dallas and all I do is blow out my lines, including the fridge. I just hold a cup on the water fill from the fridge until I get air. I cycle the ice maker a few times and call it done. I leave all my low point drains open during winter. It's worked for me since I bought the RV in '16. Happy camping!
Old 10-01-2019, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookemdanno View Post
I'm north of you in Dallas and all I do is blow out my lines, including the fridge. I just hold a cup on the water fill from the fridge until I get air. I cycle the ice maker a few times and call it done. I leave all my low point drains open during winter. It's worked for me since I bought the RV in '16. Happy camping!
When you say you cycle the icemaker a few times, you just let it make ice until there's no water left in the lines and won't make ice anymore? Or do you manually trigger the ice maker to draw water? (if that can even be done)
Old 10-01-2019, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
When you say you cycle the icemaker a few times, you just let it make ice until there's no water left in the lines and won't make ice anymore? Or do you manually trigger the ice maker to draw water? (if that can even be done)
I blow the water out completely with a cup at the water dispenser until I get air. With the compressor still blowing (after I've emptied water into cup from water dispenser) I manually push the cycle button on the ice maker 2 times (cycle twice) and all I ever get is just air. I only do it because I'm anal and want to make sure there's nothing left in the line.

I should say that I blow ALL my other lines out 1st before doing the fridge. When complete, I leave all my water lines open and my low point drains open.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Quote:
I blow the water out completely with a cup at the water dispenser until I get air. With the compressor still blowing (after I've emptied water into cup from water dispenser) I manually push the cycle button on the ice maker 2 times (cycle twice) and all I ever get is just air. I only do it because I'm anal and want to make sure there's nothing left in the line.

I should say that I blow ALL my other lines out 1st before doing the fridge. When complete, I leave all my water lines open and my low point drains open.
Ok, understand all that and thanks. But how do you manually cycle the ice maker?
Old 10-01-2019, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkymntsno View Post
Ok, understand all that and thanks. But how do you manually cycle the ice maker?
There's a button inside the freezer on the ice maker itself that you hold down for 15 seconds.
Old 10-01-2019, 07:40 PM   #7

Quote:
There's a button inside the freezer on the ice maker itself that you hold down for 15 seconds.
Ok, never seen a button. I'll have to look for that.