Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-25-2016, 11:39 AM   #1

Wires for front cap lights

Hello, all. In a previous post, I learned that in the 2016 model Jayco Eagle 5th wheels, there is no separate switch to turn off the front cap lights when the awning lights are on. I would like to install my own switch so I tried to trace the wires from the front outside storage compartment (where the battery is.) But, I have no idea what wires lead to the front lights. Does anybody know what wires they are? Also, any suggestions on a good switch to use? Thanks.
stevejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #2

Check this thread

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f6...ght-37810.html

I found the matching switches on ebay or Lowes had one that fit in the panel, it just had on/off on it instead of being "blank"
Old 07-26-2016, 05:15 PM   #3

Thanks, ExChief! I think I understand the post, but just wanted to make sure. I have the 325BHQS, so our bed is facing front to back. I assume I would find the awning wires somewhere in the bedroom cabinets. I will get a ladder and see where the awning wires enter the camper. Once I find that, I will need to cut the wires that lead to the front cap lights, run new wires from control panel in the kitchen to the cap lights, and wire in the new switch.
Do I have that correct?
stevejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #4

My switch goes to the brow(cap) lights first, then to the awning. So assuming yours is the same, you will need to hook the new wire to the awning lights after you separate them and make sure you cap off the the existing wires coming from the brows, as they will still be on anytime you turn the brows on. You can test if the original wires go to the brows first, just turn the switch on after you separate the awning lights, brows should come on and awning should be off.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevejon View Post
Thanks, ExChief! I think I understand the post, but just wanted to make sure. I have the 325BHQS, so our bed is facing front to back. I assume I would find the awning wires somewhere in the bedroom cabinets. I will get a ladder and see where the awning wires enter the camper. Once I find that, I will need to cut the wires that lead to the front cap lights, run new wires from control panel in the kitchen to the cap lights, and wire in the new switch.
Do I have that correct?
I have the 325 as well, after much investagative work the wire for the cap and awning lights comes from the remote panel to the power station an ties into the kitchen lights and radio, then up the bath wall across the ceiling to the cap light on the driver side, hits both cap lights then to the awning led which is connected in the master bed cabinet next to bed on the door side,behind a panel you can remove with 1 screw. I put a switch on the left side of master bed to shut the cap light off but still can use the awning light on same switch. If I was to do it again I would run a line thru basement yo swing light with new switch at the panel as ex chief stated, much easier. Hope this helps
KH325BHQS is offline   Reply With Quote