Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-17-2022, 10:48 AM   #1

Wiring Diagram

Hello all my husband and I just purchased a 2003 Jayco 3610RLTS Designer Legacy and are looking for some assistance does anyone have a wiring diagram for this model. The gentleman we purchased from stated everything was in working order but this is far from the case. We have blew out the microwave, when we turn on the ac ,smoke comes rolling out of the stereo system. My husband is beginning to believe there are some grounding issues. He has tested everything and is getting some very weird numbers on the neutral legs coming in. He has the neutral unhooked and it is reading 240V this is on our one air conditioning circuit and the one utility circuit. Any help here would so be appreciated. Something is back feeding and it has him stumped. He knows a ton about electrical and just cannot figure this out.
edgetoni5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 11:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgetoni5 View Post
Hello all my husband and I just purchased a 2003 Jayco 3610RLTS Designer Legacy and are looking for some assistance does anyone have a wiring diagram for this model. The gentleman we purchased from stated everything was in working order but this is far from the case. We have blew out the microwave, when we turn on the ac ,smoke comes rolling out of the stereo system. My husband is beginning to believe there are some grounding issues. He has tested everything and is getting some very weird numbers on the neutral legs coming in. He has the neutral unhooked and it is reading 240V this is on our one air conditioning circuit and the one utility circuit. Any help here would so be appreciated. Something is back feeding and it has him stumped. He knows a ton about electrical and just cannot figure this out.
He should have never disconnected the neutral. Doing so will likely ruin the A/C and many other components. Not too mention the fire danger. I highly encourage you to have him disconnect your RV from the power immediately and correct the power issues before more damage occurs. ~CA
Old 07-17-2022, 11:43 AM   #3

Did not mean to say disconnect meant to say turned the breaker off sorry that was my mistake.
edgetoni5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgetoni5 View Post
He has tested everything and is getting some very weird numbers on the neutral legs coming in. He has the neutral unhooked and it is reading 240V this is on our one air conditioning circuit and the one utility circuit. Any help here would so be appreciated. Something is back feeding and it has him stumped. He knows a ton about electrical and just cannot figure this out.
Are you sure that the outlet is wired properly for an RV? Sounds like the outlet may be wired as a household utility outlet, which would indeed produce 240 volts and destroy a thing or 12.
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
JB13502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:49 PM   #5

Start here and verify-. If that's correct look for loose or disconnected neutral wire.
Attached Thumbnails
50A.JPG  
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 01:50 PM   #6

Question; is your camper a 30 amp or a 50 amp unit?

A 30 amp unit uses a 120V single breaker. 3 prongs on the end of the RV power cord.

A 50 amp unit uses a 240V dual breaker. 4 prongs on the end of the RV power cord, as shown above.

If you are reading 240 volts at the AC, I suspect the shore power outlet you are plugged into is wired wrong. Wiring in for 240 volts is a common error, even many electricians have done it. If I am correct, this can cause the electrical damage you are describing.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 02:12 PM   #7

according to the original brochure, this should be a 50 amp unit...if the neutral was disconnected an unbalanced load would produce excessive voltage on a line. The owners need to turn everything off and get professional knowledgeable help at this point.

2017 Ram Cummins 3500, 4x4, Dually Aisin, 3.73
B&W hitch
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learjet View Post
according to the original brochure, this should be a 50 amp unit...if the neutral was disconnected an unbalanced load would produce excessive voltage on a line. The owners need to turn everything off and get professional knowledgeable help at this point.
I agree. Everyone on here has a time when they realize they are in over their head on a problem.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB13502 View Post
Are you sure that the outlet is wired properly for an RV? Sounds like the outlet may be wired as a household utility outlet, which would indeed produce 240 volts and destroy a thing or 12.
X2
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote