Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-14-2019, 06:28 PM   #1

With all the problems - why do you buy an RV?

Never before have I owned any RV. We want to buy our first - possibly a new 336FBOK

I have read so much - so many problems across the board.. everything is junk etc. We like what we can see when we have looked at Jayco but from reading all the negative I can only assume it will 'fall apart' towing it home!

So my question is, why have many of you bought multiple products over the years - given all the frustration and 'nightmare'?

I'm handy - I don't mind maintenance and fully expect it but with all the negatives posted I am feeling so disappointed and reluctant to pull the trigger.

What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?
b1ghwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ghwx View Post
So my question is, why have many of you bought multiple products over the years - given all the frustration and 'nightmare'?
Because the majority don't have the "nightmares". I've had my share of warranty issues over 40 years, but they have been addressed and fixed quickly, your dealer is the key. JAYCO has never let me down when it comes to repairs. I even had our a/c go out while I was at FT. WILDERNESS and JAYCO authorized a Mobile Tech to replace it while I was there, we never had to move and it was done in 2 days.

90% of the time you only hear the bad on this or any other forum.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:08 PM   #3
Lost in the Woods

Quote:

I'm handy - I don't mind maintenance and fully expect it but with all the negatives posted I am feeling so disappointed and reluctant to pull the trigger.

You hit the nail in the head. If you go into the purchase expecting you'll be repairing and adjusting things, since these units have so much in them, then when an issue pops up, you're expecting it, then all is good.

I believe some people think they spend $50K on a nice TT, and expect zero issues. When a issue pops up, this is where all the negativity comes from. RV's aren't quality, luxury cars, even if they cost the same. RV's are mass produced products, only designed for occasional use.

Quote:
Never before have I owned any RV. We want to buy our first - possibly a new 336FBOK
This is my first one too, but I went the MH route, not the TT route. I'm also very handy, and plan on fixing everything myself. I compare the MH to my previous boats. Holes in the water/land that you throw money in, and I'm fully prepared to tackle any issues, so what ever happens... happens...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 PM   #4

“The squeaky wheel gets the grease”. For all the negative comments you read there are hundreds and hundreds of happy buyers. Buy smart, examine the RV top to bottom, don’t deal with a shady salesman who tells you anything to get you to buy. Assume the dealer and his service guys are certified morons until proven otherwise. Don’t buy one too big for your tow vehicle or above your ability to handle. Reading the forums makes you aware of what CAN happen so you know what to look out for on your own. Will you have problems, most likely, but the chances it’s another horror story are slim.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:

I have read so much - so many problems across the board.. everything is junk etc. We like what we can see when we have looked at Jayco but from reading all the negative I can only assume it will 'fall apart' towing it home!

What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?

The people with problems are the ones that post. People with few problems usually don’t. Keep this in perspective.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:32 PM   #6

I bought a used 2010 in 2013 and to this day I’ve had “0” issues, just a tweak here & there & outside of mods everything is original.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:35 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_Trailer_Newbe View Post
The people with problems are the ones that post. People with few problems usually don’t. Keep this in perspective.
This is the correct answer.

Here are some stats from a business article regarding positive or negative experiences/reviews by customers:

...."Dissatisfied customers typically tell nine to 15 other people about their experience; some tell 20 or more (White House Office of Consumer Affairs).

A customer who has a positive experience, on the other hand, is unlikely to leave a good review. In my experience, only one in 10 happy customers leaves a good review."

https://www.inc.com/andrew-thomas/th...r-company.html

So, based on those numbers, everyone can see why the negative experiences get so much more "air time".
Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #8
Site Team

snip..."What are your thoughts? Are the complaints overblown? Is there NOBODY that is happy with their Fifth Wheel?"

Folks come here for help, or advice on a problem that's come up. That's where the Forum comes in, featuring a wealth of knowledge from a whole lot of RV owners, that own many different years and models of Jayco, StarCraft, or Some Other Brand.

If they were all without issues from time to time, this Forum would be really boring, and the experts would have no one to bestow upon, the wealth of their knowledge.

So go out there, and buy your Jayco, and have fun like we all do.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:39 PM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post

So go out there, and buy your Jayco, and have fun like we all do.
Wait... what???? We're suppose to be having fun??????
Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredOne View Post
Wait... what???? We're suppose to be having fun??????
Now... didn't they tell you that at your PDI???

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:48 PM   #11
Site Team

There are thousands of us out there living the RV lifestyle with no regrets. Go out there as an informed consumer, shop wisely, be prepared to handle a few things on your own, and enjoy your RV experience. Don't let the few that have to complain about every little thing that goes wrong ruin your desire for ownership.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #12

Anything that is hand built, and complex, I expect to have issues. Even a $500K house I expect issues with.

I think the root issue is, people compare RVs to cars, and expect minimal issues. But cars are primarily made by robots and RVs are made by people.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

There is a small minority of folks, that love to play the "victim". The thrive only when yelling poor me...everyone else is bad only they are good.. it's not only the young entitled folks but some older ones. As others have said, out of 500,000 RV's sold annually there are some issues, most are minor and taken care of quickly. My son just had a $1.3 million home built and has a long "punch list" of repairs that need to be taken care of, which, they will be. RV's are no worse or better than any other product. Many times it's the expectations that are 'broken". These aren't stick and brick homes on wheels, they are recreational vehicles, intended for occasional use, and when pulled down the highways at 60 70 or higher speeds, over pot holes and sometimes dirt road, stuff happens. They twist and flex and sometimes trim gets loose, or fittings loosen and leak...learn to fix it and it's not a big deal. If you expect an RV to be trouble free, and if something does happen, expect everyone to drop everything and hold your hand, then I recommend you DON"T purchase one. You WILL be disappointed. If your a rational human and understand what man makes will fail at times, and are willing to do a little fixin...than you will love the lifestyle, and your RV.

Happy Camping, were 3 months into a 6 months trip and have had zero issues...and this is the 5th season with this TT we have done the same thing..towed this puppy about 4,000 miles to this point and knock on fiberboard, not an issue.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #14

I agree with most of the other comments. Our North Point is our third and we have had it four a year. My biggest issue with companies is then they know there is an issue and ignore it. The bedroom slide crack is an example of this. Jayco has known about it since at least 2008 ( I have a repair document dated such) and has tried to make improvements but has fixed it. Yes they repaired mine and others but in my opinion it shouldn't be an issue at this point. Other issues are minor and can usually be fixed by the owner. Should it be that way, I don't know.

I expect to have some things happen and fix what I can. I think much of the issues with with Lippert products that Jayco uses and unfortunately their really isn't much else available.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

I am one of those who have had many problems. Perhaps once Jayco had quality control, if so, it seems to have slipped. It isn't reasonable to expect that someone should drop $100k on a product that spends 28 days in the shop for every 48 hours of use. I didn't buy it as yard art, or to impress the neighbors. I want to travel, safely and reliably.

I do expect anything made by Man to have problems. It's always been so. It would be nice if there was a dealer support network, but they don't seem to understand what that is. For example, recent trip to Colorado the house power shut down completely. The local dealer I was referred to by Jayco said he'd "try and fit me in" in about 3 or 4 weeks. Not good on a 2 week trip. My friends Harley had a shift linkage problem, the HD dealer put him to the front of the line because he was travelling. That's called customer service.

Fortunately, the private Mobile Technician was able to get us up and running, after spending several hours tracing and identifying the problem. Apparently some things had been wired backwards, with positive leads going to the negative pole. Perhaps this will end our electrical gremlins.

Now, with all that out of the way, why? Because when things do work, it's fantastic! I love it, it's great! We called ahead for a spot in a National Park site, pull in and in 15 minutes we're home! Hauled the motorcycle over to middle TN and spent a couple days going here and there, and came back to a lovely spot, cooked some chicken on the grill, get up and do it again. Nice.

So, expect problems, so you're not too disappointed, and don't let your fear stop you. I expect that in time the bugs will get worked out of mine. Nothing is perfect, after all.
New TN Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:03 PM   #16

You either love to RV or you don't. If you let some issues get under your skin, best to stay out of the RV lifestyle. I love it and the issues doesn't bother me. I fix it myself or let the dealer and keep on keeping on.
Never ever compare the RV industry and dealers to the automotive industry and dealers. They are not the same. Way less RV dealers. Takes weeks or longer to get parts from the manufacturer. Dealer isn't regulated by the manufacturer nor supported. No loaners. County wide shortage on good RV techs. Dealers slammed with work they can't keep up with, again due to far less dealers than automotive. Got a Ford dealership every couple miles. For some the nearest Jayco dealer is hours away.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #17

We’ve had pop-ups, a Jayco travel trailer, a Winnebago class c, and now have an Entegra (Jayco) class c. Never had a problem that wasn’t addressed through dealer or with advice from manufacturer. We love traveling with RVs.
Dynamo65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #18
Site Team

Bought my Jayco in 2009, sold it in 2016. Have had my current trailer since. Neither unit has ever been back for warranty or non warranty service. Only minor issues that I took care of myself. So as other have said, not all RVs are plagued with a litany of issues.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:50 PM   #19

We just purchased a 336 FBOK at end of June. We did have an issue with the main AC not working when we got it home. Turns out it was a bad breaker. Replaced the breaker myself and all good now. Very happy with the unit itself. Great layout for just the two of us. Honestly, I think you need to be a bit of a handyman to enjoy any RV. Luckily, there are forums like this to help with most issues.
Kkjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #20

I used to ask the same question when I had a boat around haha...

I strive at having a PLAN B for about anything important I can think of... probably an overkill but it sure has come in very handy a few times... Nothing worse than getting stranded somewhere for a couple of days...

Another thing that goes in my favor a lot of time is being a Ham Radio guy... There is always a ham radio guy around just about any where in the states...

This kinda falls in-line with those money guys that have the secret handshakes clubs...

We just go with the flow and somehow usually come out in the good...

Roy ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote