Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-16-2019, 06:45 PM   #1

Wonderful Carefree awning collapsed again

Second time it has loaded up with water and not dumped. Longitude by the way. Need a new arm, idler side. I've found a couple online, but haven't bought one yet. Anybody changed one? First time I had a guy that moonlighted a lot make the change, but he's no longer around. Not sure if the retaining clip and the pitch adjuster made it, they may be damaged too. Plan on trying to either change the arm or replace it all together. This time it didn't completely wad the arm up, just bent a little and pulled the roller out of the idler.

I always thought an awning was to keep the rain off your head when you were coming and going....Great product carefree....total junk.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Kevin and Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:22 PM   #2

I lower both sides for a steeper pitch to shed water better. I put it in before leaving and while sleeping. Also if a storm is brewing and/or heavy rain or wind. That's if we even bother putting it out.
As far as changing out the arm, all I can say is the roller is under spring tension, so be careful.
Electric awnings aren't anywhere as robust as the old school manual ones. But either will bend/break/stretch if water collects.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #3

True. I lost a manual awing due to water build up. The electric awing I bring in overnight, if bad weather threatens, or if we are away from the campsite for an extened period of time. The electric sure makes it easier to extend and retract though.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Yes, electric is nice. I opened and close my manual awnings just the same. That got old fast. Especially on those days we come and go a few times throughout the day.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Old 04-16-2019, 07:57 PM   #5

Because several folks have reported problems with the 'auto dump feature', I always dip one or both ends.... that and the fact the auto dump ALMOST dumped on ME!
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #6
Site Team

I love mine and have never had a problem. Mine has no dump feature, just a piston that will let water out if it gets heave and no adjustment capability.

I always bring it in part way if it's raining and never leave it all the way out if I leave the camper.

It's a bottom of the line Carefree.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 08:13 PM   #7

It is a 'sun shade', not a hurricane shelter
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:21 PM   #8

Auto dump?
I’ve never seen mine auto dump and it’s been in some serious down pours
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:31 AM   #9

I don't think the electric ones are spring loaded. The only pitch adjustment is the small clip that lowers the idler end, and it was adjusted to the max right after the first collapse. This time the roller came out of the idler end before the whole arm was destroyed like the first time. I was hoping somebody had replaced the idler and had some knowledge of the retainer in the idler and what was involved in replacing that. By the way it wasn't a hurricane or a storm of any kind, just steady rain, and yes I knew better...
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Old 04-17-2019, 06:43 AM   #10

When I put my electric awning out, I look at which side of my campsite flows away from my trailer. That is the side of my awning that is about 3-4 inches lower than the uphill side. If heavy rain, then I lower the downhill side even more. Rain pours off that corner. Never has any issues.

WIND..... Now that's another problem. If it gets windy, I retract the awning. Sometimes, I will anchor it with straps.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 AM   #11

Auto dump? LOL

If your awning is filling up with water you didn't give enough pitch. The awning is a giant level acting on your side wall. You want the arms to fail before pulling bolts out of backer plates. Don't let your awning fill up with water or leave it out in the wind.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:06 AM   #12
Site Team

Auto dumping awning? On my 19 YO Carefree, all I have to do is lower one end to prevent water from accumulating in the 20' awning on my TT. What could be simpler? I think sometimes technology gets in the way rather than helps.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #13

You might want to take a look at the longitude awnings before you make claims about lowering one end. My old 5th wheel had an a&e 9000 manual awning and that was all it took. The longitude does not have much adjustment as far as pitch, only about an inch of adjustment on the idler arm. My question is around the retainer clip and putting the roller tube shaft back in the arm. I think this time the arm can be saved, but I was looking for some insight on replacing the retainer clip possibly reusing what is there. I'll know more this weekend when I get a chance to check into it more. And yes Mia, there are designed to dump by pulling the roller back towards the coach when the weight of the rainwater gets to a point. Mine has never worked like that, even though several folks I know that have the longitude do get the pullback dump when it gets loaded up with water. In the future I won't leave it out, I went to bed not expecting rain but we got it.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Old 04-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin and Beth View Post
I don't think the electric ones are spring loaded. The only pitch adjustment is the small clip that lowers the idler end, and it was adjusted to the max right after the first collapse. This time the roller came out of the idler end before the whole arm was destroyed like the first time. I was hoping somebody had replaced the idler and had some knowledge of the retainer in the idler and what was involved in replacing that. By the way it wasn't a hurricane or a storm of any kind, just steady rain, and yes I knew better...
They must.have changed, but that's nothing new. Our SENECA & PINNACLE had adjustments on both arms so you could pitch front or rear. It was a nice feature depending on how the site sloped. They also had auto dump.
Grumpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:19 PM   #15

Guess they did, this one only has adjustment holes on the idler side.
2002 Dodge 2500
2019 Ram 3500
Old 04-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #16

My 2016 Alante has the electric Carefree with adjustments on both arms, I can drop either side by a foot or so below the other for draining. If you set it for max tilt you must return it to 50% or less to retract or it won't roll up evenly. I did add an auto-retrack unit to it in case of wind when we were not right there. (this after losing an arm at Ansi Berrago to a big dust devil.)
400 AH LiFePo4 house batt w/750 watts solar 40A charger & 2500 watt whole house Inverter.
2021 Ford Ranger 4X4 Toad
JesseS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
It is a 'sun shade', not a hurricane shelter
Excellent!

Earl
Old 04-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #18

The name "Carefree" is a misnomer. The front side of my awning on my Jayco Precept has folded up twice now with brisk rain and wind. The first time, it bent the motor shaft a bit which I am living with. It wobbles a little now when I actuate it. I tried setting awning the angle steeper but rain water can still build up. So I just treat it with kid gloves anymore when conditions start to pick up. And it retracts so slowly that you have to be ready to act.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 11:14 AM   #19
Sam

The instructions for My Carefree awning states do not extend during rainy weather. It further states the awning is designed to provide shade only. On a previously owned RV I had a A & E 9000 manual awning and I did use it during rainy weather with no problems. I always lowered one end and if it was a heavy rain I rolled it in. Honestly, I think the A& E was a better awning, however, I do like the convenience of the electric awning. Sam
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #20

Our arm collapsed last year the exact same as yours with just a spit of rain. It took the whole season for the dealership to come repair the arm at our seasonal site. This year I fear each time I take the awnings ou t. Which is rare now. We were told our awnings were sunshades and should not be out in the rain. What the heck, no one mentioned that. Ours do not adjust or dip.
We are truly considering biting the bullet and replacing the arms, with some that are adjustable. Any recommendations??

All our other trailers had manual arms and never had an issue changing the pitch...thought electrical ones one be great. ��*♀️
Sunnyo66 is offline   Reply With Quote