Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-26-2017, 06:10 PM   #1

Smile Would like advice on solar chargers and back camera

Hello again, you all were so helpful, I have a couple of other requests... We are going to get a camera for the back of the fifth wheel, but have no idea what brand or type to get..any suggestions? Also, wired or wireless??? I see the prices are all over the place from $100 to over $500!
Also, this fifth wheel has a number of items which are always on and are running the battery down quickly. What type of solar setup would be good for keeping the batteries charged? At this time we are not boondocking, so do not need the solar for appliances, just don't want the little blinking lights all over the place (like on the cd player) to drain the battery if we are someplace for a few days without electricity. At some later date we might add more solar equipment, but for now, we are just concerned with the battery drain. Thank you in advance!!!
Marianelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:58 PM   #2

Not sure what model you have, but the factory prep is made either for the Voyager or Furrion cameras, depending on the year. Current models use Furrion exclusively, I think. If you choose Furrion, make sure you get the Vision 2 which acts as an Observation System, allowing it to also be a rear view camera under way, pulling power from the marker lights when on.

You should at least have a battery disconnect switch somewhere under the coach, or a master disconnect for multiple batteries, in one of the cargo holds or near the battery trays, which should kill all battery drain when off. If not, they are easy to install.
Lowmiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianelaine View Post
Hello again, you all were so helpful, I have a couple of other requests... We are going to get a camera for the back of the fifth wheel, but have no idea what brand or type to get..any suggestions? Also, wired or wireless??? I see the prices are all over the place from $100 to over $500!
I got the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Wireless High-Speed RV Observation System with Mounting Bracket ~$350 on Amazon.

I choose this camera because I wanted to have a camera that would also work while traveling to watch what's behind us and also keep track of the bikes that are on a hitch mounted bike rack.

The camera has worked flawlessly and I connected it to the center marker light so I can turn it on and off from the truck by turning on the truck's lights. The camera has excellent range. Our FW is 40ft long and I haven't had any problems with the wireless connection.

There's various YouTube videos on this camera:
Here's an installation YouTube video. This video provides a good explanation between a backup camera and an observation camera.

And here's a performance review of the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL Observation Camera:

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:17 PM   #4

For the solar you can either install a setup you can expand later or just do a simple system and if you want more power in the future swap it out. If it's just the parasitic loads and some lights killing the batteries then I would think a 100w kit would suffice to keep the batteries topped up providing the panel will have enough sun exposure. If you park in the bush nothing will help.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 05:41 PM   #5

Thank you, I am looking at the 100 watt chargers.
Old 12-02-2017, 05:42 PM   #6

Thank you, we also have a Jayco Premier 2015, so this looks like the camera we should get--appreciate the U-tube videos--my husband really likes those!
Old 12-08-2017, 10:16 AM   #7

I put on a unit from Rear View Safety. It includes a pig tail to run from the trailer to the bed of the truck. Very highly rated and used mainly in commercial applciations. Under $250.

They make several models with all kinds of options to look at.
rfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:28 PM   #8
Site Team

Here is a nice kit that will easily meet your needs. It is by Renogy! Good price also.

Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Bundle Kit

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:21 AM   #9

I am planning on going with the wireless camera from Garmin. It can be viewed on my GPS, so no need for a second display to put in my truck.
2010 Ram 3500 4x4 long bed crew cab
2003 Royal Star Venture 1300cc
MontyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:34 PM   #10

We bought the Tadibrothers 4 camera wireless system. I can back the big girl all by my self now.....
Husky911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 06:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowmiler View Post
If you choose Furrion, make sure you get the Vision 2 which acts as an Observation System, allowing it to also be a rear view camera under way, pulling power from the marker lights when on.
Ditto on the Vision 2. Took camper up to 70mph with no loss of signal. ''Tis a simple install, but barely passing 9th grade shop, I had the dealer install it. My experiments with a solar panel were disastrous, but that was years ago when such technology was in its infancy - so I've used a Champion generator since. I'd rather be boondocking next to you with your quiet solar than me with my generator!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang65 View Post
Here is a nice kit that will easily meet your needs. It is by Renogy! Good price also.

Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Bundle Kit

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Thank you for the suggestion about the Renogy-- I see they make a portable 100. watt suitcase solar charger, but it is a lot more expensive than the non-portable Renogy. Is there any way to use the one you recommended as a portable charger, and without mounting it on the roof?
Old 01-01-2018, 06:33 PM   #13

Thank you, I will check this out, as we already have the GARMIN GPS.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:36 PM   #14

Thank you, will keep the Vision 2 in mind!
Old 01-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #15

Here is what I am using.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the camera on my back bumper then ran the RCA cable all the way up to where the battery is. I spliced into the trailer connector (i have a hitch on the back of the trailer) for power. I have a switch in that cubby that I use to turn it on and off. The transmitter transmits to a tablet in the cab of the truck.
VE6CPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:53 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianelaine View Post
Thank you for the suggestion about the Renogy-- I see they make a portable 100. watt suitcase solar charger, but it is a lot more expensive than the non-portable Renogy. Is there any way to use the one you recommended as a portable charger, and without mounting it on the roof?
Sorry for the delay in responding. I am not sure, but I believe these panels weigh about 20-25 pounds each. You could fabricate a stand using 3/4" or 1" aluminum electrical conduit, or PVC pipe and bolt it to the SOLAR panel frame. When you get to the camp site, pull it out, extend the stand to the angle you need, plug it in to your TT, and listen to wonderful sound of a SOLAR generator. If you talk nice to the Home Depot person in the Electrical department, I am sure you could get him to bend you a piece of conduit in the shape you need and cut it to the length you need. Or if you go with PVC the guy in the plumbing department will cut the PVC to the size you need.

I would go with the PVC, easier to work with and lighter. I would mount the SOLAR Charge controller next to your batteries.

Here is a link to give you an idea as to how you can .

With portable setups you will always have the possibility of them getting legs. You will need to anchor the panel so that a gust of wind will not send it flying.

Good Luck

Don

My Registry

RVing with SOLAR
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 08:13 AM   #17

I also have the Garmin. I would not do it again. With my setup the wireless link is not very strong and when underway it drops out (it is a bandwidth issue). I tried mounting the transmitter in different locations and none worked when on the highway. (35ft fifth wheel and crew cab truck).
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #18

When I was a solar newbie, I got the Renogy 100W portable suitcase and it got me over my insecurities. I learned that setting it up whenever boondocking was a hassle though not difficult. I bought the 200W Renogy kit and installed the panels on the roof and charge controller in the battery compartment. The portable will only see the light of day when we boondock again for more than a couple of days. BTW, the roof mounts charge batteries even while driving down the road.
The portable is a good back up if camping in a shaded site without hookups.
Old 01-10-2018, 06:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by VE6CPU View Post
Here is what I am using.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I put the camera on my back bumper then ran the RCA cable all the way up to where the battery is. I spliced into the trailer connector (i have a hitch on the back of the trailer) for power. I have a switch in that cubby that I use to turn it on and off. The transmitter transmits to a tablet in the cab of the truck.
I have a similar setup. I put the transmitter behind one of the running lights by the camera. It transmits to my spare cellphone in the cab of my truck. Probably 50+ feet from transmitter to cellphone.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk