Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-15-2018, 08:30 AM   #21

I know Winnebago's (Class A or C) you can order from the factory with many ADA requirements, to include a wheelchair lifts, I believe they are the only ones that do it from the factory, they have an ADA check list to include ramps, lower light switches, higher toilets etc, you pick and choose. They don't do trailers yet.
When I talked to multiple dealers prior to getting our 28RLS, just about all of them said yes, we could add a lift or they knew a company that could do it. Not one of them mentioned, until I asked, when you put a lift on, it voids the structural warranty because you're "changing the structure".
I did talk a Alliance dealer with a Forest River, they were in the process to be certified to add lifts to their TT and keep the warranty, but were still working on it.
Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 PM   #22

My hubby got me entry steps that close up into the door. I love them. They are so much better than the ones from factory. Better rise and more solid.
tess318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 PM   #23

We replaced the 3 entry step with a 4 step and it's better, but still a couple of inches higher than what's required in a home.

I agree that the steps that fold up into the trailer (not under it) are sturdier and the interated handrail is much better than the one that folds out from the side of the trailer.

Even if she can manage getting inside, she still has to deal with the tall steps from the lower to upper level.

I may need to look into a nice, used, Class C.
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #24

I owned 2 5vers and full time in the last one. Came off the road and step down to a tt. I did not like how it towed so I went back to a 5ver. I would go back to it before leaving camping. Get a good hitch from Hensley or Propride. I have been told they tow well however I have not owned one. Take the back roads and keep your speed down. Mine seemed to tow much better at slower speed. Good luck.
Sk734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 06:06 PM   #25

What about something like a dog/pet ramp, they’re light, easy to move and completely eliminate the steps...
Old 07-21-2018, 07:49 AM   #26

Some friends of ours had similar issues and ended up trading their fifth wheel for a motorhome. I asked how they liked it and they said that it was GREAT - there were some days when they were traveling when the wife never got out of the motorhome.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:55 AM   #27
Site Team

We have been giving thought to downsizing someday in the future. We have even started looking for a replacement car that can be towed 4 down. Our current Volvo XC60 can't be towed even with a dolly.

Class C is what I'm dreaming about. Maybe a Greyhawk 29MVP or something near that. Not much longer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #28

Maybe if I had health issues,like my fiver.
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:11 AM   #29

Health concerns are always, as older age is. I would go for the convivence life style. Lots of model to choose from out there.

Just not willing to give up living the dream yet anyway.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Health concerns are always, as older age is. I would go for the convivence life style. Lots of model to choose from out there.

Just not willing to give up living the dream yet anyway.
I initially misread your post. I thought you said, "Lots of motels to choose from out there."
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
Some friends of ours had similar issues and ended up trading their fifth wheel for a motorhome. I asked how they liked it and they said that it was GREAT - there were some days when they were traveling when the wife never got out of the motorhome.
I think a Class C would be perfect for people with mobility issues (like me)
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredLEO View Post
I think a Class C would be perfect for people with mobility issues (like me)
Our friends ended up getting a good deal on a Class A and really like being on one level, once the wife is in basically having everything that she needs right there. Since they spend a couple of months in Florida during the winter and were leaving a fifth wheel they were concerned about the amount of storage, etc. on a Class C.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:42 PM   #33

I pulled an Airstream for 22 years....the last 10 with an Hensley Arrow hitch....we have been pulling our 5er for the last four. I'd go back to an Airstream in a heart beat.
Dan