Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #1

Would you trade for a bumper pull?

My wife is having some leg, knee & hip problems which makes it difficult to traverse the entry steps into our fifth wheel, as well as the steps inside the unit.

We're trying to decide if we should go back to a regular travel trailer or give up RVing ali together.

It's been 22 years since we pulled a camper, so I'm not sure how much things have progressed as far as handling (especially in the wind), anti-sway technology and backing up (without having to fiddle with the anti-sway bars).

Thoughts, opinions and experience are appreciated in helping us make our decision.
WestTexasRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #2

WTR,

We have pulled travel trailers since 1983. New trailers with slides are high with three steps to get in. Granted, no steps inside.

As for sway technology, there have been advances. I have purchased mostly Reese products since we started towing. Their products are all able to back up with no disconnections of any part of the WDH.

We just completed a 5300 mile three week trip with the newest Reese Steadi Flex hitch and performed pretty well.

Hope these comments help in your decision.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 09:40 PM   #3

Thanks, Murff
Old 07-10-2018, 10:14 PM   #4

We love our bumper pull and won't trade for a 5th wheel

Our two primary reasons for not picking a 5th wheel:
- Didn't want interior steps
- Wanted to have 2 exterior doors

We delivered MANY bumper pull and 5th wheel trailers with the truck in my sig. Sway was never an issue with either trailer type. We have a Equalizer brand 4-point hitch.

As Murff said, some of the TTs, like our Jay Flight, are higher. But some makes appear to be lower. The Lance TTs, for example, look like they might be lower.

Hope some of that helps.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:37 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTexasRanger View Post
My wife is having some leg, knee & hip problems which makes it difficult to traverse the entry steps into our fifth wheel, as well as the steps inside the unit.

We're trying to decide if we should go back to a regular travel trailer or give up RVing ali together.
I think giving up RVing all together would be a huge mistake. Taking away this freedom , luxury, that you've enjoyed all these years would result in a setback much greater than her leg, knee and hip. You never want to give up looking forward and you know the rest of the story.
Old 07-11-2018, 04:13 AM   #6

How many steps do you have to get in the unit. you can upgrade the entry steps the morryde (Step Above) upgrade is a good option. The three steps just suck, even if you don't have leg problems..

Might want to look at a bath and half bath option on the new 5th wheels, that way she has a bath room on the bedroom level and one on the main level. And there coming with 5 step morryde entry. our unit also has 2 entry doors. We have it and love it.

There is always a way to do things, but you will regret going back to a bumper tugger once you have pulled the 5ver.
2017 Ram 3500, Big Horn, 6.7, Crew, Long, DRW, Aisin, 4:10. Full timer in a Pinnacle
eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:17 AM   #7

I traded a Class C for a bumper pull earlier this year. The C had one power step outside and then two inside the entrance door, rest was flat. We wanted the better seating arrangement in the bumper pull over the C. Class C's might be a bit lower than a FW, take a look.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 05:16 AM   #8
Site Team

How about something like this?

Or: http://www.lifeessentialslifts.com/a...ity-equipment/ See the picture of rv lifts.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:43 AM   #9

I see your reasoning for a bumper pull. As a contractor I pull a lot of trailers. A bumper pull does not tow as well as a 5th wheel even without all the extra to help with sway and everything. But if that works for your wife's issues, I would go for it. I prefer my fifth and wouldn't trade it. But I would go with a bumper pull WAY before I have up camping.
Chiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:58 AM   #10

Never give up. There's always options!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:57 AM   #11

My wife had surgery a couple of years ago, and was not at full strength for almost a year. So I purchased aluminum entry steps from Easy entry RV steps - Port-A-Step. They are a Texas company and the steps fold and fit in the outside storage in my Jayco Eagle 323LKTS. It adds a 4th step to the outside entry, as well as a small porch landing, and has one side rail for her to hold onto. While it adds another thing to the initial camp

set up process, overall we have been pleased with the product. They have several options and styles to best fit your fifth wheel and needs. Check them out.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:01 AM   #12

I forgot to add that I also had room in my fifth wheel to extend the steps to the bedroom and add an additional step there as well. I simply made the calculations, custom cut the riser supports and steps, covered them with similar flooring and now she has steps that are wider for the feet and shorter to step up. I can post some pics if you're interested in more about those.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post
I forgot to add that I also had room in my fifth wheel to extend the steps to the bedroom and add an additional step there as well. I simply made the calculations, custom cut the riser supports and steps, covered them with similar flooring and now she has steps that are wider for the feet and shorter to step up. I can post some pics if you're interested in more about those.
I would be interested in seeing some pics/ info on how you did it. I’m dreading the day I have make these decisions.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:27 AM   #14

My wife also has issues with stairs, we use a cheap fix since she does not go in and out of the trailer unless I'm there (or she's feeling good). We use 4x6 cut at 12", you might want to use 4x8 to cover a little more, but I had the 4x6. I put them on the one side of the steps and use a 18" length on the ground if needed. I don't "fix mount" because then you cant close my steps.
Photo attached... and dont know why it's sideways

Oh, and we haven't had a problem when they are wet, but I'm thinking about adding something to the top surface for gripping
Attached Thumbnails
20180711_121401.jpg  
Old 07-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #15

We did what Eagleback suggested. My wife has a prothesis below the knee on her right leg and her left foot is also quite deformed now. At a minimum she now has to use a walker. The getting up and down the steps to use the 5th wheel bathroom was quite a chore. I decided that if she had a bathroom on the main level it would cut down going up to the bathroom/bed area to a couple trips a day. We ended up trading for a 2016 Pinnacle FBTS which has a large half bath down and the full bath on the upper level. We love it. I also like having the bathroom on the lower level.

We don't allow guests very often because my wife needs her privacy but now with the one half bath on the lower level guests can have their own restroom and we can close off the upper level for our privacy.

We are fortunate in having our own 80 acre get away. I had a custom 23x32 deck built with five inch steps and at a height that allows me to pull the 5th wheel close on one side and extend one slide out over the deck. I built custom steps that slide out to the trailer door and she only has to go up two five inch steps(platforms) to get into the trailer. I understand if you were traveling you would not have that luxury. It allows us to continue getting out with the family, at least for the time being.

Hope you find a solution that works for you.
15 Gal Aux Gas Tank
Double Tow 2016 Yamaha Viking Side x Side
Donpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #16

Lots of great suggestions!

I've replaced the original 3 step entry with a 4 step which helps but is still a hard climb for her 5'-0" height.

The interior steps are too close to the entry door to allow modification and the addition of an extra step.

Standard step height for most residential applications is 7" to 7 1/2", which is comfortable for about 95% of the population. RV manufacturers design their units with steps 9" to 11" high, to save space, which isn't user friendly. They should be ashamed!
Old 07-14-2018, 09:20 PM   #17

Send a message via AIM to T&R Emptynest Send a message via MSN to T&R Emptynest Send a message via Yahoo to T&R Emptynest
Just a though but when my dad was not doing well we picked up a toy hauler so he could use the ramp.
He loved to camp and fish and with all his medical issues that was the only way to get him out there to enjoy the great outdoors he loved so much.
Hope this helps and keep on RVing it a wonderful thing.
T&R Emptynest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 04:57 AM   #18

I don’t have these, but I’ve seen all around good reviews. They work on both TT’s and fifth wheels.

https://youtu.be/ccDt0YndXHE
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:05 AM   #19

I've seen a few bumper pull rvs that have been converted this way and they all say its the best of both worlds. Easy to get into and pull like a dream.
IAcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #20

I have to agree with jimp. Sound like a good candidate for a Class C.
Once inside.....no more steps and everything She would ever need will be on a level playing field.
Class C will be in my future for partly the same issue's of your Wife's. I have had total knee replacement with metal extensions, total ankle reconstruction with more hardware than your local Home Depot. Spinal Stenosis, Scoliosis, two ruptured disc, one herniated.
If you would give up RVing She will always have discomfort.......so why not have fun and enjoyment which will help keep her mind off physical discomfort?
Keep on keeping on
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote