Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #21

For some reason I thought my black tank was only 40 gallons, but looking at the specs it's supposed to be 50. Even if it's a 35 gallon like yours, we only have to dump our black tank once a week and that's full timing. So if I also have a 35 gallon tank I'm happy. IMHO you shouldn't go more than a week without dumping your black tank anyway, especially in hot weather.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:27 PM   #22

Full timing with how many people?

Why do you think you should dump it every 7 days in hot weather?

I have had it read completely full after 5 days with 5 people.

The other thing to me that everybody seems to overlook or not care about is the idea that Jayco didn't built the unit to the specs. In business the whole idea behind all the ISO quality standards is say what you do and do what you say. My unit is supposed to have a 50 gallon tank and it doesn't
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 02:30 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
Since you are on the Jayco Fifth Wheel forum I assume you have a Jayco Fifth Wheel, when you were buying your Fifth Wheel didn't you look at the specs and expect that to represent what you were buying?
I've had everything. TT's, FW's and MH's....

With the exception of one, all my units were special order and my dealer would always check the updated production specs when we placed the orders so I never had any surprises if there was something that was a "had to have".
Old 09-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #24

Quote:
The other thing to me that everybody seems to overlook or not care about is the idea that Jayco didn't built the unit to the specs.
That are always subject to change with out notice or obligation...and you will find that all across the RV Industry.

From FOREST RIVER:

© 2019 Forest River, Inc.

All information contained on this website is believed to be accurate at the time of publication. However, during the model year, it may be necessary to make revisions and Forest River, Inc. reserves the right to make changes without notice, including prices, colors, materials, equipment and specifications as well as the addition of new models and the discontinuance of models shown on this website. Therefore, please consult with your Forest River, Inc. dealer and confirm the existence of any material, design or specifications that are material to your purchase decision.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:59 PM   #25

I talked to Jayco today and said I expected a 50 gallon tank, they looked up the specs and then said no warranty, no help, they didn't say they changed the spec to 35 gallons. I have an email address for an engineer at Jayco and I will see what he says but as far as I can tell my unit was supposed to have a 50 gallon tank and for some reason got the wrong tank.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #26

Quote:
I talked to Jayco today and said I expected a 50 gallon tank, they looked up the specs and then said no warranty, no help, they didn't say they changed the spec to 35 gallons. I have an email address for an engineer at Jayco and I will see what he says but as far as I can tell my unit was supposed to have a 50 gallon tank and for some reason got the wrong tank.
It's not just the engineering it's what the production line changes as well, that is why they clearly state "without notice".

Been playing the RV game for over 42 years and definitely as the second owner I think your spinning your wheels for nought, but good luck.
Old 09-26-2019, 03:22 PM   #27

Quote:
Full timing with how many people? Why do you think you should dump it every 7 days in hot weather? I have had it read completely full after 5 days with 5 people. The other thing to me that everybody seems to overlook or not care about is the idea that Jayco didn't built the unit to the specs. In business the whole idea behind all the ISO quality standards is say what you do and do what you say. My unit is supposed to have a 50 gallon tank and it doesn't
1. Two people full timing

2. A black tank is like company, they really start to smell after 7 days.

3. You should have bought a new unit with a two year warranty then you would have a whole bunch to complain about.
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-26-2019, 03:29 PM   #28

Jayco isn't going to do anything. They are covered by no warranty and the fine print. Your only option is to change out the tank. But that is if a 50 will fit in it's place. If not you will need to try other methods.

If you're only going by the tank indicator, it will say it's full long before it's actually full. Or did it fill to the flush valve?

Make sure they didn't plumb any grey water drains into the black tank. That happens on occasion.

You can have a septic truck come and empty you out half way through.

You can get a grinder and pump it into a drum or tote or such and then pump it or dump it at the dump station. If you're close enough some of those marcerators will pump a good ways. You can pump into a toilet too or even a pit one.

Rent a port-a-pot. They can be padlocked to keep others out. Might be cheaper than a septic truck pump out.

Stop filling the bowl completely for number 2. No need, just a little extra water. Just make sure there is lots of water in the tank before dumping to get the solids out. And flush the heck out of it. Be sure to use septic safe paper. We have good luck with Sam's club brand TP or Walmart brand from our dissolving tests. Sam's club dissolved better and is softer.

Be sure your treatment has enzymes in it. Don't under treat either.

Everyone is trying to help you. We understand you're not happy about the tank size and want to vent. Go forward by coming up with a solution(s).

All my past RV's had 35 and 40 gallon black tanks and we never filled one. Even with multiple people on long trips. We can take 3 showers a day for 4 days and not fill up a 50 gal grey tank. I'm just shocked you can completely fill to the toilet a 35 gal black tank.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 05:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
Jayco isn't going to do anything. They are covered by no warranty and the fine print. Your only option is to change out the tank. But that is if a 50 will fit in it's place. If not you will need to try other methods.

If you're only going by the tank indicator, it will say it's full long before it's actually full. Or did it fill to the flush valve?

Make sure they didn't plumb any grey water drains into the black tank. That happens on occasion.

You can have a septic truck come and empty you out half way through.

You can get a grinder and pump it into a drum or tote or such and then pump it or dump it at the dump station. If you're close enough some of those marcerators will pump a good ways. You can pump into a toilet too or even a pit one.

Rent a port-a-pot. They can be padlocked to keep others out. Might be cheaper than a septic truck pump out.

Stop filling the bowl completely for number 2. No need, just a little extra water. Just make sure there is lots of water in the tank before dumping to get the solids out. And flush the heck out of it. Be sure to use septic safe paper. We have good luck with Sam's club brand TP or Walmart brand from our dissolving tests. Sam's club dissolved better and is softer.

Be sure your treatment has enzymes in it. Don't under treat either.

Everyone is trying to help you. We understand you're not happy about the tank size and want to vent. Go forward by coming up with a solution(s).

All my past RV's had 35 and 40 gallon black tanks and we never filled one. Even with multiple people on long trips. We can take 3 showers a day for 4 days and not fill up a 50 gal grey tank. I'm just shocked you can completely fill to the toilet a 35 gal black tank. Earl
Amen..........I hope!!
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 09-30-2019, 09:32 AM   #30

I understand people are trying to help. I am just surprised by the attitude here that seems to be Jayco can do whatever they want.

I made my post for two reasons:
1) To warn people they may not have the tank they are supposed to have and they may want to check theirs while they are under warranty.
2) The RV industry gets away with a lot of things they shouldn't be able to get away with and the only way that will change is if customers put pressure on them. I had a travel trailer before my fifth wheel and that company deliberately misstated the specs and shipped the unit with 24 defects including a propane line that was completely unsecured and hanging down almost to the road.

This whole tank investigation started for me because my tank is filling up too fast and the sensors are staying on even when dumped.

You say don't use much water to flush solids but everywhere I have looked they say tank clogging and sensor problems are the result of too little water.

I am using Tank Tech treatment and plenty of it.

If I wanted to use a Porta potty I wouldn't have bought an RV and would still be tent camping.

The key to me is to get the tank to work the way it is supposed too.

The camper was designed to have a 50 gallon tank so if I get the correct tank it should fit. I may or may not actually swap the tank but I am considering it.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:13 AM   #31

Problem Solved

I consulted with a lawyer.

He made two really interesting comments:

1) In Massachusetts (where I live) there is automatically a warranty of merchantability unless explicitly disclaimed in the purchase and sale agreement (it wasn't).

2) The unit having the wrong tank size is a contract issue and Jayco have to fix it regardless of warranty status.

I told the lawyer the amount of money involved wouldn't justify a court case but that I would pay him for a couple of hours of time to write a letter to the dealer and to Jayco.

A couple of weeks after the lawyer sent out the letter, the owner of the dealer called me and said he would pay for the repairs because "it is just good business", he also promised to contact Jayco about the tank issue.

A couple of weeks after I spoke to the owner, Jayco called me and said they would repair the tank at their expense.

The moral of all this in my view is stick up for yourself and don't accept no for an answer if you know you are right.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #32

Quote:

1) In Massachusetts (where I live) there is automatically a warranty of merchantability unless explicitly disclaimed in the purchase and sale agreement (it wasn't).

2) The unit having the wrong tank size is a contract issue and Jayco have to fix it regardless of warranty status.

I told the lawyer the amount of money involved wouldn't justify a court case but that I would pay him for a couple of hours of time to write a letter to the dealer and to Jayco.

A couple of weeks after the lawyer sent out the letter, the owner of the dealer called me and said he would pay for the repairs because "it is just good business", he also promised to contact Jayco about the tank issue.

A couple of weeks after I spoke to the owner, Jayco called me and said they would repair the tank at their expense.

The moral of all this in my view is stick up for yourself and don't accept no for an answer if you know you are right.
Very happy for you..............the squeaky wheel gets the grease
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 05-21-2020, 11:52 AM   #33

Quote:
They agree the spec was for a 50 gallon tank.

You think it is OK for them to spec a 50 gallon tank and install a 35 gallon tank without telling anyone? In my opinion when you order an RV to a set of specs you should either get what you ordered or the manufacturer should contact you and tell you what specs they won't meet. In this case they didn't install the tank they were supposed to and didn't tell anyone.

It is understandable that this is a big issue for you. You have a beyond average need for black water storage plus a situation I've never encountered, gray dump but not black water dumping. I've heard there are places like that, but in 20 plus years of dumping tanks I have never come across it.

You bought a used unit. The original owner may have opted for a smaller tank. If the original owner was OK with it then that's where it ends. If they had installed any upgrades they would be yours also. You are acting like you ordered it from the factory new.

This really sounds more like buyer remorse. You are missing out on the new owner experience and whatever savings came with your deal aren't enough. But to expect those savings AND all the benefits of new ownership is probably unreasonable. I believe the phrase is there isn't a free lunch.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:00 PM   #34

That’s great it worked out. Good for you.

I’m curious about mine as well. I’ve never filled a 35 gal black tank over the years, mine now is supposed to be a 50, however it was filled after 3 nights on a trip this winter. Right up to the flapper. It’s me my wife and 9 year old son. Seemed odd to me.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:23 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
It is understandable that this is a big issue for you. You have a beyond average need for black water storage plus a situation I've never encountered, gray dump but not black water dumping. I've heard there are places like that, but in 20 plus years of dumping tanks I have never come across it.

You bought a used unit. The original owner may have opted for a smaller tank. If the original owner was OK with it then that's where it ends. If they had installed any upgrades they would be yours also. You are acting like you ordered it from the factory new.

This really sounds more like buyer remorse. You are missing out on the new owner experience and whatever savings came with your deal aren't enough. But to expect those savings AND all the benefits of new ownership is probably unreasonable. I believe the phrase is there isn't a free lunch.
Its not buyers remorse. I wasn't told I didn't have a warranty and the specs I was shown are for a 50 gallon tank, the original owner didn't spec something different. Jayco agrees it was supposed to be a 50 gallon tank and that is why they are now replacing it.
Old 05-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
That’s great it worked out. Good for you.

I’m curious about mine as well. I’ve never filled a 35 gal black tank over the years, mine now is supposed to be a 50, however it was filled after 3 nights on a trip this winter. Right up to the flapper. It’s me my wife and 9 year old son. Seemed odd to me.
What I did was make sure it was empty including sticking a camera down the toilet and then fill it to the toilet with a hose with a gauge on the hose. For $16 you can get a P3 P0550 Water Meter on Aamzon.
Old 05-21-2020, 03:09 PM   #37

Quote:

May I ask what you paid the attorney?

Earl
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:46 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar_Earl View Post
May I ask what you paid the attorney?

Earl
About $300 and for that I got about $750 in repairs refunded to me plus the tank replacement. I don't know what it would cost to take out the old tank and put a new one in but I would guess $1,000.

Tags
black water tank, buyer beware, factory defect