Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-26-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Angry Wrong Black Tank Size - Check Yours!

I bought an 355MBQS in May. The unit I bought was ordered from the factory by a guy and his wife didn’t like it, so without ever using it he returned it to the dealer and asked them to sell it. I got a “new unit” for a used unit price.

Then things started breaking and the dealer said I have no warranty because it is used. They say they told us it wouldn’t have a warranty but neither my wife nor I remember them saying that.

Now I discovered that instead of a 50-gallon black water tank I have a 35-gallon black water tank. The dealer said call Jayco, I called Jayco and they said no warranty, not their problem.

In my opinion this is an as-built from the factory defect, they should fix this. I talked to a guy who has worked on thousands of fifth wheel black tanks and he said that finding the wrong tank size isn’t that uncommon.

If you are reading this, you may want to check your tank size. Make sure your tank is empty and then fill it with a hose down through the toilet and measure how much water it takes until you see water coming up into the toilet. I used a $15 meter from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I typically get 36 to 38 gallons to fill the tank and the plumbing up to and into the toilet.

If you find the wrong tank size hopefully your unit is still under warranty. I am thinking of hiring a lawyer.
Scottenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:58 AM   #2

I just bought the same meter a few days and used it for the first time. Before I used it on the tank flush I filled a 1 gallon container to check its accuracy and it was right on! No guessing as to how much water I'm pumping into the black tank for a flush.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #3

You might want to check your tank capacity with it while you are still under warranty.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #4

Interesting. Probably happened on many units. I’ve never filled a 35 gal black, so doubt I’d notice. However, as a matter of principal you should have the correct size tank. These warranties are not transferable?

I’d like one of those meters just for the tank flush. Then I can put 3 or 4 gallons in at the end and no what I put in.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:35 PM   #5

No the warranty is not transferable although I think it should be.

Mine is supposed to be 50 gallons and we dry camp a lot. 9 days with a bunch of people will fill a 35 gallon tank and then I have to dump into a tote tank and haul it to the dump stations whereas 50 gallons would probably get me through. This is a really big deal to me.
Old 09-26-2019, 12:52 PM   #6

How are you showering, probably have toilets where you're showering. 35 gallons is a lot for human waste. Especially when RV toilets typically use a pint per flush. You should be fine.
You got a good deal, so you're still ahead of the game. Even if you pay to have a larger tank installed, if it's possible.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottenj View Post
I bought an 355MBQS in May. The unit I bought was ordered from the factory by a guy and his wife didn’t like it, so without ever using it he returned it to the dealer and asked them to sell it. I got a “new unit” for a used unit price.

Then things started breaking and the dealer said I have no warranty because it is used. They say they told us it wouldn’t have a warranty but neither my wife nor I remember them saying that.

Now I discovered that instead of a 50-gallon black water tank I have a 35-gallon black water tank. The dealer said call Jayco, I called Jayco and they said no warranty, not their problem.

In my opinion this is an as-built from the factory defect, they should fix this. I talked to a guy who has worked on thousands of fifth wheel black tanks and he said that finding the wrong tank size isn’t that uncommon.

If you are reading this, you may want to check your tank size. Make sure your tank is empty and then fill it with a hose down through the toilet and measure how much water it takes until you see water coming up into the toilet. I used a $15 meter from Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I typically get 36 to 38 gallons to fill the tank and the plumbing up to and into the toilet.

If you find the wrong tank size hopefully your unit is still under warranty. I am thinking of hiring a lawyer.
Hiring a attorney? You'd have way more money in the attorney than you'd ever pay to put the larger tank in. Those tanks aren't that much money.

Earl
Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

Shower and sink go to a grey tank.

When you flush solid waste you need to fill the bowl with water or you will have problems with the tank clogging so probably close to a gallon per solid waste flush.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:06 PM   #9

Quote:

I am thinking of hiring a lawyer.
You bought a used unit so it would be between you and the seller. Also JAYCO clearly states in their info that they can make production changes at any time.

Directly from the warranty page:

This limited warranty applies to the first consumer purchaser of a new RV only. All rights
and limitations within this warranty are applicable to the original owner of the RV only.

Right from the brochure:

Jayco reserves the right to make changes and to discontinue models without notice or obligation.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:08 PM   #10

The tanks aren't a lot of money but tearing out the 35 gallon tank and installing a 50 gallon one will likely be pretty expensive. Not sure I want to attempt the tank change myself even if I can even get Jayco to sell me the 50 gallon tank because it will have to be the right one to fit.

Partly this is also the principle of the thing, if they build it wrong they should fix it.

I also wonder how common this is, the tank guy I talked to said he had seen it many times. I would be very interested in having a bunch of Jayco owners measure their tanks and see if others have also been short changed.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #11

Yes I know the warranty isn't transferable but not sure I accept that a unit that was built and shipped wrong in the first place should be limited by that.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Shower and sink go to a grey tank.

When you flush solid waste you need to fill the bowl with water or you will have problems with the tank clogging so probably close to a gallon per solid waste flush.
So you will fill a black tank in 9 days but not a grey tank? You're going to fill your grey tank in a hurry.

Yep little more water for pooping. No need to fill the bowl though. Will be way more number 1 than number 2 events.

Why not try it and see? Why condemn the 35 gallon tank over guessing.

Earl
Old 09-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #13

I have asked the dealer what it would cost to replace the tank.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #14

I'm not guessing, I have taken two trips dry camping and filled the black water tank on both trips.

Yes grey water also has to be dealt with but I would much rather be emptying grey water tanks than a black water tank. In one place I go I have an option for the grey water disposal but not black so only the black tank is an issue.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes I know the warranty isn't transferable but not sure I accept that a unit that was built and shipped wrong in the first place should be limited by that.
It wouldn't be wrong if they made a production change which they have the right to do.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #16

I can only assume you purchased this RV BECAUSE it had a 50 gal tank... sorry it's not the hill I would die on... If this is your biggest issue, well, consider yourself lucky. I agree you don't need a gallon per flush. As others have said, lot more "liquids" than "solids". Limit paper usage will have a much greater effect when dumping. Also no need to flush everything someone dribbles in the potty.

Enjoy your new RV, happy camping.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #17

They agree the spec was for a 50 gallon tank.

You think it is OK for them to spec a 50 gallon tank and install a 35 gallon tank without telling anyone? In my opinion when you order an RV to a set of specs you should either get what you ordered or the manufacturer should contact you and tell you what specs they won't meet. In this case they didn't install the tank they were supposed to and didn't tell anyone.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 PM   #18

I have had problems with the black tank not emptying well and the advise I have gotten in multiple places is to make sure lots of water goes down any time you flush solids.

I agree limiting toilet paper is important and I have had that discussion with everyone who uses the toilet.

I bought the unit for lots of reasons but it is supposed to have a 50 gallon tank, don't you think Jayco should be building their units to their specifications?
Old 09-26-2019, 01:45 PM   #19

Quote:
They agree the spec was for a 50 gallon tank.

You think it is OK for them to spec a 50 gallon tank and install a 35 gallon tank without telling anyone?
Can't say yes or no, but it could have been a mid or end of the year change and since the brochures are printed at the beginning of the year it can and does happen.

If you look at the 2020 spec it says (TBD) to be determined.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:58 PM   #20

They agree it supposed to be 50 gallons, they are just saying no warranty no help.

Just my opinion but when I buy something I expect it to meet the advertised specs unless someone tells me before I buy it that the specs have been changed.

Since you are on the Jayco Fifth Wheel forum I assume you have a Jayco Fifth Wheel, when you were buying your Fifth Wheel didn't you look at the specs and expect that to represent what you were buying?

Tags
black water tank, buyer beware, factory defect