Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-18-2018, 05:27 AM   #1

Wth

Why is it that anytime you have something done to your RV they can always screw it up??

Had dealer do a few things under warranty and of course they had to mess them up. They replaced both front storage compartments weather stripping and then caulked around top and the handles. A 5 year old could have done a better job!

The switch for water pump was replaced. I told them I would do it if they would give me the switch.........NO can't do that, we have to install it. They scratched the “moderator edit”out the Corian island because they are too stupid to put a towel or pad or something over it.

Now I have to make another trip 100 miles each way to have this done correctly and island repaired.

2016 Pinnacle 36 KPTS
2016 F350 Lariat CC LB dually 6.7
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:47 AM   #2
Site Team

It's an unfortunate reality that these types of issues occur with service departments at times with RV, automotive, etc. dealerships. Lack of proper training, poor attitudes, lack of work ethic, and worker overload all contribute to these occurrences. There are no excuses for that type of sloppy work, but it does uccur far too often.

I don't have an answer as to how to correct these problems. There used to be a time where people took pride in their work. That's becoming hard to find anymore.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 07:51 AM   #3

You've never seen a hand painted sign out front of any RV repair shop for "RV mechanic wanted, will train"? I'd think that showing up and having a toolbox would almost guaranty getting the job.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasum View Post
Why is it that anytime you have something done to your RV they can always screw it up??........snip
Unfortunately it's become to common within the RV industry, especially high volume RV dealership service centers....., and been more prevalent during the last 5 -7 years.

Lack of experienced/properly trained service personal at dealership level, and a lack of industry quality standards of the products they are required to service is a recipe for unpredictable results.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 09:12 PM   #5

It just makes me wonder if a day of reckoning is coming for this industry. There is going to come a point where the volume of sales, terrible workmanship and service after the sale implodes. I can’t see this being a sustainable business model. Maybe I’m wrong and these huge companies keep lining their pockets with the piles of cash paid by unsuspecting newcomers. I truly hope I’m right and this whole sham comes crashing down and they lose it all like they deserve. I truly do not see how some of these Distributors, Salesmen, and Service Centers sleep at night knowing what they know.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #6

I bought our first RV new and quickly found out that dealerships of same brand wont work on them if you didnt buy it directly from them. Lesson learned and wont be buying anything ever from that dealer. Traded that RV in for a bigger but used 1 year old Jayco and have no warranty because I am the second owner. Fortunately I am very handy and can fix anything.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Smyth View Post
I bought our first RV new and quickly found out that dealerships of same brand wont work on them if you didnt buy it directly from them. Lesson learned and wont be buying anything ever from that dealer. Traded that RV in for a bigger but used 1 year old Jayco and have no warranty because I am the second owner. Fortunately I am very handy and can fix anything.

Unfortunately, that’s how it works.
The dealer you choose is as important as the rig you choose.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
Unfortunately, that’s how it works.
The dealer you choose is as important as the rig you choose.

You may be right but I dont have to patronize them either. I dont know of any other business that does this to its customers.
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:
I dont know of any other business that does this to its customers.
But that's the problem you weren't their customer. There are still some independent Appliance and TV dealers that only service the units they sell.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:51 PM   #10
Site Team

First question when I call my local dealer for anything, even something as simple as a state inspection...."Did you buy it from us?"
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #11

One of the questions on a standard RV Mechanic/Technician application for employment:

"Have you ever been convicted of a felony?" If you checked "no", please give an explanation:
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 12:57 PM   #12

I've found the same thing over the years. On top of terrible work, they also make you "turn in" your RV for months before they even work on it. I've never figured out in this time of technology why these places can't schedule you a spot and then notify you when you're within a few days or week of when they can actually start on your work. The last 2 times I dropped mine for warranty service, it sat in their lot for 2 months each time before it was even looked at. I vowed after that I'd never let anyone else do work on my RV. I started taking the RVIA classes to become a certified RV mechanic myself and just have my own shop. Not that those really man anything, either. Most of that is common knowledge from anyone who's ever had a physics calls in college.

I've quit letting any service center do any work on my RV. I do it all myself and just argue with the manufacturer until they send me the parts to let me do it myself. Usually they say they'll do it as a one time "good will". I just remind them I'm saving them money as they're not having to pay the labor on having it fixed.

I'm just fed up with substandard service from supposed professionals and me having to redo their work to make it right. If I have to redo it, I might as well do it myself to start with.

Course, that's just my .02 from my experience. But, I definitely feel your frustration with these things.

Tim
Flyingaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #13

Seems to me that the dealer repair centers are usually maxed out with work probably due to all the warranty repair work, so they are mostly only accepting customers that bought their units from them. So basically they are taking care of their customers first. In my case, I did have to have some warranty work done after purchase, and it did take a month to get it in for the work. But either I was lucky or my dealership's service center is very good, as they did all the repairs I had listed and I had my trailer back in 3 days. That included having to take the aluminum siding off from the left side and rear to repair bubbles. They did an excellent job and I don't have any complaints at this time.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:04 PM   #14
Say

Sorry to hear about the bad experiences many of you have had. For what it’s worth, I’ve always received great service from my dealer and they’ve never had my TT for more than 3 days. Early on I had a warranty claim for one of the recliners. Jayco denied the claim. My dealer purchased a new recliner for me and said they would deal with Jayco to get their money back. That’s customer service.
Say is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:08 PM   #15

I can understand your pain.
Having retired from the aircraft service industry and managed a very high end corporate service center it is sickening at some of the lack of quality and service seen. I know I am comparing apples and oranges but still.
The RV industry is at best a low quality service. Their survival is not based on quality or prompt service , but who they can blame.
Jayco has been very good to me during my ownership of my 2016 Redhawk with warranty issues. I have taken care of the majority of them.
dyoung97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:15 PM   #16

I think the day of reckoning might be getting closer. Won't be long before we will be in to the 2020 election campaign start. The Stock Market is already taking a hit lately, prime is edging up. All things that can slow down luxury and recreational items.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 05:38 PM   #17

There ARE still small indy dealers that will service your units on the spot.. Let me give kudos to New World RV in Paducah KY.. We had no trailer brakes as both lines were pinched.. It took them three hours to fix but no quibbles and service was started right away. Obviously we had not bought from them.

We have had excellent service from our local dealer who does have the policy of servicing his buyers first. Its a two edged sword.. Fine for if you are local. Not so good if you are far from home.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #18

Quote:
I dont know of any other business that does this to its customers.

Sounds like the boating industry to me.
SeanandKandace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:13 PM   #19

The first thing you do when buying a RV is see if the dealer hires
sales people who have never owned an RV.

If so walk away. If the sales staff is bad the service is usually the same.
Good sales people live by referrals because they have a service dept who
will back them up. In fact a lot of them will take you to the service dept
and introduce you to the service manager.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 06:37 PM   #20

Wth

Boats are same way, sit for months before being looked at. And if it is not engine work but boat work u get the same quality as an RV repair
Rock
2016 Pinnacle FBTS Traded
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote