Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2016, 09:47 PM   #1

X-Chocks

We have used x-chocks on our fifth wheels before but never for a prolonged period. Has anyone ever had issues arising from use? We have always had good luck with them. Going to be spending a lot more time in the camper this year and I know that the 377 is a lot heavier than our previous 5er. Camp spots at the lake aren't great(as far as level).
Palle-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 09:54 PM   #2

I had mine pretty much all summer last year. On and off every week, due to moving. Never noticed any issues. The only concern I ever had was forgetting to take them off before moving.
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 11:31 PM   #3

Lol! Ya definitely remove before transit! Saw a couple posts on damage to the tires. I think people just put them on to tight. you don't need to "bo up" on em!
Palle-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 12:18 AM   #4

I left mine on all winter. No issues. Just keep them well lubed and no issues.
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:22 AM   #5

Just put the ratchet handle somewhere obvious and you'll remember to remove them.
The only issue I'm having is with my new maxxis they barely fit between them. Same size tires as the towmax but for some reason less space.
I never use them as chocks, just for stability. I always place chock blocks on both sides and front and rear of axles. I had a camper once tell me his trailer headed downhill out of his site with just x-chocks.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:50 AM   #6

Friend has a seasonal that has to move out each winter. He's been using them for a few years with no issues.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:04 AM   #7

Really should be no issue. But you may want to check tightness once in awhile, and if loose, it may be your tires are deflating (for other reasons)!
Old 03-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #8

We use ours at least a week each month. No issues what so ever.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
Just put the ratchet handle somewhere obvious and you'll remember to remove them.
The only issue I'm having is with my new maxxis they barely fit between them. Same size tires as the towmax but for some reason less space.
I never use them as chocks, just for stability. I always place chock blocks on both sides and front and rear of axles. I had a camper once tell me his trailer headed downhill out of his site with just x-chocks.
Wow, I always just use the pair of X-chocks. How unlevel was the site for the RV to roll with a pair of those between the tires?
Old 03-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
Wow, I always just use the pair of X-chocks. How unlevel was the site for the RV to roll with a pair of those between the tires?
He didn't say but I could tell he was serious about not trusting just the x-chocks. Just sayin'. Like I was saying, I bought mine, and hitch pin tripod, to help stabilize. I block the wheels with chock blocks. This thing isn't moving.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:15 AM   #11

I used to use those little yellow wheel chocks from camping world. Not any more. Now have the big rubber wheel chocks like the truckers use. Don't ask me why. I still use the X-chocks for stability and they seem to help a lot.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsday75 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
He didn't say but I could tell he was serious about not trusting just the x-chocks. Just sayin'. Like I was saying, I bought mine, and hitch pin tripod, to help stabilize. I block the wheels with chock blocks. This thing isn't moving.
I had a similar miss with X-chocks. Wasn't the chocks fault though.

I backed into a campsite, up a hill(key part here). I put the X-chocks in and tightened them up as usuall. I raised the front up until I could see a small air gap between the lube plate and fifth wheel hitch like always before i pull the truck away. Luckly my wife was messing around hooking up the power and wanted me to come look at the power pedistal. As I was walking back there, I glanced at the X-chock and knew something was up with it.
After looking at what happened, because it was an uphill slope, when I jacked the front of the trailer up, the suspension design and load equalizer allowed the front axle to stay on the ground (of course) and the distance between the front and rear tires became greater, allowing the X-chock to be loose. As I was jacking up the camper to unhook, the front axle was moving away from the rear and the X-chocks were getting looser as the front went up.
Im glad I noticed it before I pulled the truck away, im sure the site was steep enough for a run away.

I've done it like that several times on fairly level sites with no issues. Now, I always scotch the down hill side and unhook and level before the X-chocks go in. Im confident the X-chocks will keep a trailer from rolling if they're tight....Im just not confident they will stay tight while unhooking on a moderately sloped site anymore.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
I had a similar miss with X-chocks. Wasn't the chocks fault though.

I backed into a campsite, up a hill(key part here). I put the X-chocks in and tightened them up as usuall. I raised the front up until I could see a small air gap between the lube plate and fifth wheel hitch like always before i pull the truck away. Luckly my wife was messing around hooking up the power and wanted me to come look at the power pedistal. As I was walking back there, I glanced at the X-chock and knew something was up with it.

After looking at what happened, because it was an uphill slope, when I jacked the front of the trailer up, the suspension design and load equalizer allowed the front axle to stay on the ground (of course) and the distance between the front and rear tires became greater, allowing the X-chock to be loose. As I was jacking up the camper to unhook, the front axle was moving away from the rear and the X-chocks were getting looser as the front went up.

Im glad I noticed it before I pulled the truck away, im sure the site was steep enough for a run away.

I've done it like that several times on fairly level sites with no issues. Now, I always scotch the down hill side and unhook and level before the X-chocks go in. Im confident the X-chocks will keep a trailer from rolling if they're tight....Im just not confident they will stay tight while unhooking on a moderately sloped site anymore.

You'll need to be careful with x-chocks when hitching up too. The opposite happened to me. I was on a slope, and left the x-chocks in place. The suspension moved and actually squeezed the chocks so much that the frame of the x-chock got bent outward from the force.

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

I don't have our x-chocks handy to check the instruction sheet, if it's still to be found, but from what I recall it specifically states to not have the x-chocks installed while raising or lowering the trailer to level or hook up the tv. And to not rely on the x-chocks to prevent the trailer from rolling. "Normal", everyday wheel chocks should be used to secure the trailer!!! Only after the trailer is leveled, should the x-chocks be installed.

And after the tires have cooled some the x-chocks may need to be retightened just like the stabilizer jacks do sometimes once the tt/5ver has "settled" after sitting for a while/ overnight.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 12:18 PM   #15

I have used them for years with no issues, however I do agree do not use as primary chocks, get the heavy rubber ones and USE THEM. It will prevent heartache down the road. I use the X-chocks strictly for stability.
Curt Q20 Hitch. Air Lift 5000 Ultimate Air bags. Airlift Wireless One compressor.
cgbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
I don't have our x-chocks handy to check the instruction sheet, if it's still to be found, but from what I recall it specifically states to not have the x-chocks installed while raising or lowering the trailer to level or hook up the tv. And to not rely on the x-chocks to prevent the trailer from rolling. "Normal", everyday wheel chocks should be used to secure the trailer!!! Only after the trailer is leveled, should the x-chocks be installed.

And after the tires have cooled some the x-chocks may need to be retightened just like the stabilizer jacks do sometimes once the tt/5ver has "settled" after sitting for a while/ overnight.
Instruction sheet!?!?? Whats that?

Yes your right. Stability is all I use the X-chocks for now.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:01 PM   #17

I've used x-chocks for about 10 years and love them. I had to buy a new set for my last 5er cuz the tires were too close together compared to the older one. I keep them snugged up when camping to cut down on the "wiggle" of the trailer. I also have used a kingpin stabilizer for a long time and really like it. I never count on the x-chocks to keep the coach from rolling though...always chock the wheels the old fashioned way too. I forgot to remove one of the X's once and pulled the RV a few feet ahead in the driveway and the chock just popped out of position.
For what it's worth there's my humble opinion.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote