Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #1

Yahoo...New Tow Vehicle

So I pulled the trigger today on a new truck. I will be taking delivery next week of a 2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn Crew Cab Longbox, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin tranny. My dealer made me a deal that was unrefuseable. My two questions for you esteemed and wise forum members are:

1. I have always had a slider hitch because I have always had a short box. I am seriously thinking about the Anderson but are there any other recommendations?

2. We had a camping trip planned for a couple of weeks from now, so what experiences or advice does anyone have on towing before break-in is completed, or is it a non-issue?
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 08:55 PM   #2

My cheap charlie recommendation is to transfer your existing hitch to the new tow vehicle.
Old 08-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrascal View Post
My cheap charlie recommendation is to transfer your existing hitch to the new tow vehicle.
Do you know my wife? Lol. That's what she said but as much as the Pull Rite is an excellent hitch, I tire of the constant oiling/maintenance, and a slider in a long box seems redundant,
cariboocreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:10 PM   #4

Congrats! I have being looking in the Anderson Hitch myself, I have even call them and ask them about my short box the guy told me that it will still work in the short bed. I have being going to a few places and they try to sell that same hitch Pull Rite but my mind is made up unless we going with the TT.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 AM   #5

Congratulations on the new TV, you'll love it.

As far as towing, the manual recommends getting the engine under load and working right away. I had about 300 miles on mine when we left on our first trip and I've had no issues whatsoever.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:51 AM   #6

When I went from a short box to a long bed I did not transfer my Pullrite slider but since I liked the quality of Pullrite products I bough the SuperLite hitch by Pullrite. It is similar to the Anderson, just another option for you to look at.

I also towed before my official break in period. Not across country or anything, no problems. I don't see commercial users baby their trucks for the first 500-1000 miles, they use them immediately.
Knauby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
PMC

Just go easy on it for a couple hundred miles, bed in the axle gears and you'll be good to go. At 500 miles run as hard as you want but you can run it under load before that. Engine and transmission have no break in required before you load them.
PMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

There is a rule I have followed all my life, failure to do so will result in shorter engine life and loss of overall performance.

I have seen far to many people baby the vehicle its first 500 miles, then after that they now drive 75 instead of 55 they did to break it in.

Break in within the performance envelope of your vehicle. In breaking in a drive at 500 RPM increments for very short periods of time and no there is nothing wrong with driving in a lower gear to get the engine into higher rpm and still drive 55.

Do not drive at a constant rpm for long periods of time!

Accelerate long and slow.

Todays modern engines do not need 500 miles, the specs they are built to today are VASTLY different than they pre about the 80's. In fact todays HiPerf engines are solidly broke in within about <100 mi, which is why is so critical to VARY the rpms. That truck engine should be rock solid in far less than 250 mi.

It was LOSE clearances that required the long break-ins. Not the case today...
'17 Forrest River Cedar Creek Silverback RE
'17 F 350 CC, LB SRW King Ranch
'16 Jayco Eagle HT 27.5 RKDS GONE!
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 05:26 PM   #9

I have almost 5000 miles on my Andersen II Ultimate Hitch (New Version) and Love it. Just did a 3000 mile trip through some serious hills and it pulled smoothly the entire trip. I take mine out often for weekend trips to Lowes or Home Depot. The 32lbs hitch that takes all of about 45 seconds to remove it a great feature to not over look. Good luck with your new TV. I'm jealous too.

Dave...

2013 Ram 2500, CTD, CCLB 4x4 in True Blue - SOLD

2016 Eagle HT 29.5 BHDS Picked-up 4/1/16
2007 Rockwood ROO 21SS - SOLD
Aero_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

We have almost 6k miles on our 6.7 ram 3500 with Aisin it is a different transmission but when you have the fifth wheel and hills you will love it . Not to mention it is a smooth ride .
Mangort1900 is offline   Reply With Quote