Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-31-2019, 03:23 PM   #21

If you stay at Coulter Bay, be sure to get breakfast at Signal Mtn lodge.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:14 PM   #22

You guys are driving me crazy. We sold the house and went FT in March, but I still have 8 more weeks of work before we bust loose from SE Georgia.

Al, I cant wait to hear about the trip to Yellowstone; it's on our list. And someday we'll do the Grand Teton Pass (but maybe without the 5'ver)

At least tomorrow we start the process of working with Escapees of Bushnell, FLA for establishing our domicile there prior to our vehicle and RV registration coming up on my B-Day in GA in October.

We'll continue following with you vicariously in the meantime.

Safe trails
Angus
2019 F350 DRW Lariat CC Long Bed Diesel "Sheila"
3 Chihuahuas and 4 cats
We don't camp, we don't glamp, we LIVE.
Joan617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:09 PM   #23

Headed to Rushmore, Glacier, Yellowstone, and Teton from the East Coast next summer. Look forward to hearing how your trip went.

Tow Rig: 2015 Ford F-450 Platinum, airbags, B&W Companion hitch for factory puck system.
prm99v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:09 PM   #24

If you're headed to Mt Rushmore, make sure to also make time to visit Crazy Horse and Custer State Park which are nearby. We just got back from a three week trip to Canada and stayed in Gardiner, MT on the north entrance into Yellowstone and then drove though the Tetons and stayed in Dubois, WY. Incredibly beautiful country.
Daniel3359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:29 PM   #25

Stayed on the East Side and I can't for the life of me remember how we got there but all I remember is towing a pop up then and the 7% grades. O me O my I am not I could handle a trailer. Otherwise we did the East side of Mary Glacier. Stayed at the KOA. Good luck. If I do this again I am coming in from North Dakota not South. All I remember is the S curves and after going thru Wolf Pass recently? Towing up? I am done with mountains and hills for a very long time.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel3359 View Post
If you're headed to Mt Rushmore, make sure to also make time to visit Crazy Horse and Custer State Park which are nearby. We just got back from a three week trip to Canada and stayed in Gardiner, MT on the north entrance into Yellowstone and then drove though the Tetons and stayed in Dubois, WY. Incredibly beautiful country.

If you do Custer and Mount Rushmore? I do suggest starting with Custer State Park. Why? You will get a great view of the top of the hill. I finished a 9 year project of putting together a photo album of our 3 week trip out west. I now remember the breath taking views. Crazy Horse is fun but not that memorable. But worth the visit. The photo album is done and ready to print when I get the money. Happy trails.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:41 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan617 View Post
You guys are driving me crazy. We sold the house and went FT in March, but I still have 8 more weeks of work before we bust loose from SE Georgia.

Al, I cant wait to hear about the trip to Yellowstone; it's on our list. And someday we'll do the Grand Teton Pass (but maybe without the 5'ver)

At least tomorrow we start the process of working with Escapees of Bushnell, FLA for establishing our domicile there prior to our vehicle and RV registration coming up on my B-Day in GA in October.

We'll continue following with you vicariously in the meantime.

Safe trails
Angus

If you do Yellowstone I highly suggest Yellowstone Tour & Travel. They do a Upper Lower and Grand Teton tour. We did ours with pick up from the KOA in West Yellowstone. I am looking at our 3 week tour we did out west and this was included. So many pictures. We did this tour 8 years ago. The guides are phenomenal. Good luck with your travels.
Old 08-01-2019, 03:57 PM   #28

East Coast to Yellowstone campground reservations/route

We are planning a trip for late summer of 2020 arriving in West Yellowstone around Aug 20. We will be traveling from east coast and plan to come in via I 90 from Sioux Falls through Deadwood, etc and come into W Yellowstone from Bozeman on 191 or 89. I plan to have reservations at W Yellowstone and Grand Teton for a few days each. The plan is leave going South and pick up I 80 at Rock Springs. Since we plan to stop along the way both coming and going to Yellowstone, I have struggling with how many reservations I should try to make or need not knowing how long the trip will take as well as long we may want to stay at some of the stops. Since we would traveling late Aug into mid Sept, do you experienced Yellowstone visitors feel reservations are needs along the way (Deadwood, Devils Tower, etc)? Also any suggestions on the routes I have chosen? I appreciate the info on Grand Teton Pass and certainly want to avoid any 'uncomfortable' rides. Thanks for any help as we have only been at this for a year now but loving it!
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycophil View Post
We are planning a trip for late summer of 2020 arriving in West Yellowstone around Aug 20. We will be traveling from east coast and plan to come in via I 90 from Sioux Falls through Deadwood, etc and come into W Yellowstone from Bozeman on 191 or 89. I plan to have reservations at W Yellowstone and Grand Teton for a few days each. The plan is leave going South and pick up I 80 at Rock Springs. Since we plan to stop along the way both coming and going to Yellowstone, I have struggling with how many reservations I should try to make or need not knowing how long the trip will take as well as long we may want to stay at some of the stops. Since we would traveling late Aug into mid Sept, do you experienced Yellowstone visitors feel reservations are needs along the way (Deadwood, Devils Tower, etc)? Also any suggestions on the routes I have chosen? I appreciate the info on Grand Teton Pass and certainly want to avoid any 'uncomfortable' rides. Thanks for any help as we have only been at this for a year now but loving it!
Jaycophil, We made the trip from East Tennessee to Yellowstone in the summer of 2017. Most fun trip ever. We made the trip from Bozeman to West Yellowstone via 191. It is a good easy drive and there is some interesting scenery along the way. 89 thru Yellowstone was under construction while we were there and it was several miles of one lane and it was gravel. Not a good option at that time. I wouldn't recommend it even when it was done as there is a steep switchback area from Gardiner to Mammoth Hot Springs. We planned our trip over a 8 week time span and stayed at 22 campsites during the trip. I had reservations at every campground except one that did not take reservations. I used Rand McNally Tripmaker for my routing software and still use it now for every long trip I take. We don't like to make long drives between stops so our longest trip leg was 378 miles and the shortest was 70. I can share my itinerary with you that has all the details if you would like. It was 4,400 miles of towing over the 8 weeks and we only backtracked 276 miles when we closed the loop from our last stop. You probably want reservations at Devil's Tower there are two choices the KOA and a USFS C.G. that has no hookups. We had reservation at Gardiner, West Yellowstone, Flagg Ranch, and stayed without reservations (first come first serve only) at Gros Ventre (USFS C.G.) about 6 miles outside of Jackson Hole. We took 191 from Jackson all the way to Rock Springs as well (great drive). If you like history plan a stop in Pinedale at the Mountain Man Museum. Message me if you want to get together on a phone call I love sharing the experience of that trip. Plan well, plan plenty of time, and enjoy. Good travels!!
TnHiker
1998 HitchHiker II 31 RLBG (Sold 2012)
2002 Ford F350 7.3L Turbo, Crew Cab, DRW, 4:10 (Mint, Garage Queen)
TnHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #30

If you go to Rushmore be sure you go to the Canadian side.
Attached Images

Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:16 PM   #31

Smile

Grumpy. Would have never known! Thanks for sharing
Jaycophil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
Just a stop along our two year journey. We're staying at the Sleeping Bear RV Park. Nice park with a view of the valley. We're on here for 4 days then moving on the Cheyenne. Plan on giving the Cowfish Restaurant a try while here. Great reviews.
If you're going to Cheyenne, check out the Wyoming Chop House. It's right on Lincolnway, which is the main drag east and west through Cheyenne. I would also suggest the Cowgirls of the West museum in downtown Cheyenne near the railroad depot. It doesn't look like much from the outside, but I thought it was real interesting.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 07:15 PM   #33

We stayed at the West Yellowstone KOA. I seriously think you will need reservations because that place is a zoo. I do recommend making tour reservations for Yellowstone. You will get a better benefit out of it. As for Jackson Hole if I remember correctly there is only one way in and out of there. I just remember taking a wrong turn and it was a nail biter to Yellowstone but the out come was beautiful. Just remember I believe it can snow in September or October. We went at the end of June and there was snow. I can't remember the roads we took or the numbers. Best bet would be to trust your instincts.