Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-02-2019, 02:36 PM   #1

Wanting Bunkhouse MUST have Bunk room

Wanting to buy excellent shape travel trailer 5th wheel bunkhouse. Price range needs to be 20kish or less. Less would be best since we have a new one at 25k we are considering.

MUST have an actual Bedroom needs to have door as well.

Gross weight needs to stay at around the 10k range. We have a Toyota Tundra 4WD with the tow package and have been told by dealership it will easily tow around 10kish.

If TT comes with extras like sway bar/hitch, lines, etc. Even better!

We are located in Gainesville FLA.

View this ad at Jayco Classifieds - Wanting Bunkhouse MUST have Bunk room
G8rNrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 03:51 PM   #2

I would doubt that a Toyota Tundra can handle a 5th wheel ever.. but I could be wrong.. what is your payload (yellow sticker in the door?) your 5th wheel hitch and the pin weight will be over your payload likely..

are you saying you are looking for a travel trailer ? if that is the case then again what is your payload sticker say? a 10000 lbs trailer has a tongue weight of approx 1000 lbs up to 1200 lbs depending on how it is loaded... then add batteries, WDH, propane and I am positive you will be over your payload... don't forget to add you, your significant other and anything you put in your truck into the payload numbers...

Your dealer may have not told you the whole truth...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #3

[. . .

Your dealer may have not told you the whole truth...[/QUOTE]

This.

Please do NOT trust cargo and towing capabilities told you by anyone at a dealership, whether it's an RV or automobile dealership. At least not without substantial and accurate verification. I could be wrong, but the pin weight of even the lightest 5th wheel could well be over your truck's cargo capacity all by itself. I would venture a bet the heaviest pull-behind travel trailer you could legally and safely tow with your Tundra is a loaded 8k or less.
GL243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:42 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by curver900 View Post

Your dealer may have not told you the whole truth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GL243 View Post

Please do NOT trust cargo and towing capabilities told you by anyone at a dealership, whether it's an RV or automobile dealership.

Excellent advice. Do not trust that dealer's information. There is a lot of reading on this forum and others concerning cargo capacity vs. tow rating. Please do your research first before you commit to any unit.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:23 AM   #5

Yes, we are looking for a travel trailer our payload is supposed to be a little over 10k that’s why we’ve been looking at the 32BHDS. We live in FLA and would be traveling only to Disney from what I foresee.
G8rNrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rNrs View Post
Yes, we are looking for a travel trailer our payload is supposed to be a little over 10k that’s why we’ve been looking at the 32BHDS. We live in FLA and would be traveling only to Disney from what I foresee.
I believe you are confusing payload and towing capacity. Payload/cargo capacity is the amount of weight that can be carried by the truck including passengers, cargo in the bed, and the tongue weight of the trailer. There should be a sticker on the drivers side door or door pillar that says loading information. Your payload capacity should be on that sticker.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rNrs View Post

I tow with a Tundra and I can tell you that no way will you have enough cargo capacity to comfortably haul that 5er. You need to look at towing capacity as how much weight you can drag down the road if the trailer was a 4 wheel hay wagon with little tongue weight. Unfortunately and RV doesn't have a wheel at each corner like a wagon would. My Tundra has a cargo capacity of about 1600 lbs.. and it was the highest I could find. A 5er hitch will weight easily 100 lbs... add your wife and kids, some stuff in the truck and the weight of the tongue of the 5er and your well over your cargo capacity. As others have said, your cargo capacity will be on a yellow sticker on the drivers door jamb...THAT is the critical number.

Either plan on a larger tow vehicle, or a smaller, perhaps a bumper pull RV instead.

Good Luck....I LOVE my Tundra, but I understand the limitations they have. Safety for your family and others on the road is utmost.

PS your 4 X will lower your cargo capacity also.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote