Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2020, 04:33 PM   #1

Buying Currently Question

Im looking into buying currently and have been for the last 3 months before covid stuff happened. Currently im narrowed down to the jayco jayflight slx 8 242BHS and working with a bunch of dealers to get the best price.

I was surprised when a dealer told me I should buy immediately as prices will go up with the factorys shut down. I would think if anything it would be the opposite since noone is buying stuff but maybe someone closer to the industry knows and if I should accelerate the search cause I was planning on taking my time. Or just wait till the fall which is the first time I can realistically start using it.
caffeine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #2

Others have posted that, if buying now, the pre-delivery walk through may not happen or be very limited. I think the dealer is blowing smoke about prices rising. Unless you find a *great* deal with a full walk through I would wait.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:49 PM   #3

My opinion is that if people don't get back to work soon the RV market will be flooded with the RV's people can no longer afford. Miss a few payments and they will be repossessed by the lender and sold at a loss.

The dealer is trying to get you to make a quick decision that you may soon regret.

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 04:51 PM   #4

One other thought would be can you lock a good deal with a deposit and hold it until things return to something near normal.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 06:40 PM   #5

Salesman never lie. Right
Take what he said with a grain of salt. They are starving for sales. Good luck with your purchase. Just my opinion but The longer you wait the better your deal will be. Remember 2008

Enjoy the journey
Trapper2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 09:44 PM   #6

There is going to be a lot on the market in the near future, both new and used for all the reasons stated. If you can broaden your model search you can probably get a really good deal. I think (My Opinion Only) ordering from the factory the way you want it is going to be tough. They will take your order, but they will not make a promised delivery. I was told 8-10 weeks, and received it in 16. This was before COVID-19. This industry is the first to get hit and the last to return.

Usually about 33% off MSRP is considered good, 35%-37% Great, I would be going for 40% minimum at this point for new and if it’s previous year inventory put on your negotiating hat. Sales are all closed on site, only online. Service open. Wait for the essentials business orders to relax and go hunting for an on site inventory purchase. Be prepared to walk off a couple times because they are going to be hungry.

Good luck and good health.

Gone Fishing!
SIGPIC
Nathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan S. View Post
There is going to be a lot on the market in the near future, both new and used for all the reasons stated. If you can broaden your model search you can probably get a really good deal. I think (My Opinion Only) ordering from the factory the way you want it is going to be tough. They will take your order, but they will not make a promised delivery. I was told 8-10 weeks, and received it in 16. This was before COVID-19. This industry is the first to get hit and the last to return.

Usually about 33% off MSRP is considered good, 35%-37% Great, I would be going for 40% minimum at this point for new and if it’s previous year inventory put on your negotiating hat. Sales are all closed on site, only online. Service open. Wait for the essentials business orders to relax and go hunting for an on site inventory purchase. Be prepared to walk off a couple times because they are going to be hungry.

Good luck and good health.

This is great stuff and yeah the only reason I was going to order from factory is because it seemed to be the cheapest, whatever added options besides the underbelly and the 15000 btu which ive read are the only essential ones a unit has that I am interest in Ill just tell them to remove the extra stuff or to not charge me for it.

Im open to used but there dont seem to be any within a few states of me in the bunkhouse layout I want. Plenty of new though.

Also looking for advice on a 2019 that is still new, how much off of msrp should I be targeting on that one cause as soon as I leave with it im already taking on an extra year of depreciation.

Thanks all! This is real helpful
Old 04-16-2020, 10:23 AM   #8

If im considering a 2019 new model that has likely been sitting since 2018, how much would you guys target off of msrp ? And that being said what would be the gap to be ok with between that and just buying a new 2020 or waiting for a 2021.

Im trying to factor in an extra year of depreciation loss im taking just driving it off the lot new as a justfication for bargaining on it. Cause at the end of the day I dont mind a 19 , 20 or 21 as they are essentially the same trailer with the same warranty.

I just figured im in the drivers seat in regards to being able to talk down a considerable discount on the 2019 new model.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #9

How long do you anticipate keeping it? If you are going to turn around and be looking for another RV within 2-3 years then you probably should buy the latest model available as that will have the least depreciation.
If you are going to keep it more than say 5 years then it probably won’t matter as the depreciation won’t be significantly different between this year’s model or last year’s. Find the floor plan you like and then negotiate your best deal. Who knows, if it’s the right one for you then you might never want to give it up. If you drive off the lot feeling good about your purchase then that is all that matters. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rice1951 View Post
How long do you anticipate keeping it? If you are going to turn around and be looking for another RV within 2-3 years then you probably should buy the latest model available as that will have the least depreciation.
If you are going to keep it more than say 5 years then it probably won’t matter as the depreciation won’t be significantly different between this year’s model or last year’s. Find the floor plan you like and then negotiate your best deal. Who knows, if it’s the right one for you then you might never want to give it up. If you drive off the lot feeling good about your purchase then that is all that matters. Good luck.

expectation is to keep to as long as it stays together which Id hope would be 5 yrs at least.

I dont expect to be trading it in every few years for the latest and greatest. So yeah to your point which is a great one. 5 years from now the value of a 2019 or a 2020 would likely be moot. its just sticker shock to look at the difference in the last 3 years of models and thats what I was basing my observation on.
Old 04-16-2020, 06:46 PM   #11

X2. This will also apply to the truck and car market!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote