Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #1

Covid-19

Sabra & I want to leave for Yuma, AZ on 11/29 through 12/8. Now we're second guessing our decision due to the surging COVID-19 numbers. Anyone out there have any thoughts? Thanks, Bob & Sabra.
Evoman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I've cancelled my annual November "tow" departure to Texas this year..., and will spend my winter here in Michigan planning for a more predictable 2021 summer (and beyond) camping season.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #3

We are still planning on going to the Ft Meyers, FL area, but we are watching the numbers. Our thought is we would rather social distance with a screen tent than staying in our house waiting for the neighbor to fire up a snowblower.

This link to AAA's planning site was posted earlier this year. It helps.

https://gds.maps.arcgis.com/apps/web...ccca0fbbfe0c7c
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #4

We are Canadian snowbirds. We are staying home this winter. Our border is closed still and quite frankly the numbers of covid 19 are still rising on both sides of the border. Not a good scenario. We transferred our reservations in Florida campground to 2022 season. Hoping for the best!
Stay safe, stay healthy folks!
Sitting here dreaming of 2022!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:20 PM   #5

We have been to a number of campgrounds since Covid has been around and feel perfectly safe. While travelling I always use gloves and a mask at gas stations so that should be safe as it can be.

The campground personnel so far have always worn masks and had the check-in areas set up for isolation. Once at your camping site you are pretty much at a distance from the camper next to you. It doesn't hurt to wear a mask while you are outside of your rig.

We don't use the facilities at any campground because we are used to being self-sufficient. Also, we are not social creatures and attempt to mingle. An occasional smile or wave or a distance "hello" is about all we do.

We went camping with family up to Bend Oregon a number of months ago (before the fires) and wore masks even with our camping family.

As long as you take all precautions and distance yourself you should be OK. Granted it is safer to just stay home which is what we do every day. I still like to get out and camp once in awhile mostly at the ocean as viewing the water just makes me feel good. Need something to feel good about these days!

Jim

Retired electronic technician (45 years in the field)
2017 Greyhawk 29W (solar & many other mods)
wife (maybe I should have given her top billing)
JimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:49 PM   #6

If we have a bad winter up here this year, all blame is being put on Rustic Eagle and RoadrunnerII
Some local schools here are shutting down and going full virtual tomorrow.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:30 AM   #7

We're still traveling and camping. We've probably had more camping trips this year than past. Unfortunately the state parks didn't open till late May, so we had a late start. Also still traveling for work. Camping this weekend. Hoping the weather holds so we can get another couple trips in before winterizing.

If you're camping, you won't be around others. Wouldn't be any different than staying in your house.

Earl
Line-X premium
Mopar wheel to wheel steps
Mopar_Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:09 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
If we have a bad winter up here this year, all blame is being put on Rustic Eagle and RoadrunnerII.......snip
I share the same concern

I hope this past week of 70's here in SE Michigan was a good sign for a mild winter....., compared to my Michigan departure last November around the same time.

Mid-November 2019.....

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Huron View Post
If we have a bad winter up here this year, all blame is being put on Rustic Eagle and RoadrunnerII
Some local schools here are shutting down and going full virtual tomorrow.
Ah gee thanks Huron!
We get blamed for it anyway good or bad weather!

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #10

We’re still leaving Wisconsin for South Texas in a couple weeks. I’d rather be isolated in the camper at a warmer spot than watch cloud poop fall. As full timers, the choice is pretty easy.
2017 RZR for the rainy days n muddy roads
Stingray75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #11

We’re still camping and have been since the onset of the virus. The campgrounds in AL never closed. We just returned from a week in Pigeon Forge, TN. Camped in FL during the summer. Never gave it a second thought. We always pick a campground with FHU and avoid the bath houses. Everyone stays a safe distance away and we feel just as safe at a campground as we would isolated in our home. I retired a year ago and refuse to become a hermit. Too much to see and do that we didn’t get to do when we worked all the time. We do take reasonable precautions but don’t get wrapped around the axle.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadrunnerII View Post
Ah gee thanks Huron!
We get blamed for it anyway good or bad weather!

RoadrunnerII
Hey, if I didn't pick on ya, I didn't like ya! Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:07 PM   #13

I would have more concerns about what the government will do to you while on the road with lockdowns than any concerns about catching Covid. No reason for any travel destination (with camping involved) to be any more hazardous health wise than being where you are. On the other hand, you are at the whim of various governors who may not have your best interests in mind.

FWIW, this is purely anecdotal. I caught covid last month. I got what I consider to be a 95% typical case. Minor fever off and on for a week. Minor body aches, fatigue. 2 tylenol and a nap and I felt completely normal. That's it. No cough, never talked to a doctor. I am 59, with a couple risk factors. Yes, I understand some people are very unfortunate with this disease, most shrug it off.
ExxWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 01:50 PM   #14

Please don’t let the media hype predict what you do and don’t do. COVID cases are rising, all for the simple fact of the availability of testing absolutely everywhere now. The virus is not getting worse. Just a lot more testing. I work in Public Safety, so I say this by first hand experience. Camping is the safest recreation activity you could possibly do right now. Enjoy the outdoors and camping.
Bulldogmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:27 PM   #15

Canadian here. If we wanted there are ways around the closed boarders, is it worth it�� nope. We will see everyone someplace when both sides have better control.
Patchesrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #16
Al1

Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
We have been to a number of campgrounds since Covid has been around and feel perfectly safe. While travelling I always use gloves and a mask at gas stations so that should be safe as it can be.

The campground personnel so far have always worn masks and had the check-in areas set up for isolation. Once at your camping site you are pretty much at a distance from the camper next to you. It doesn't hurt to wear a mask while you are outside of your rig.

We don't use the facilities at any campground because we are used to being self-sufficient. Also, we are not social creatures and attempt to mingle. An occasional smile or wave or a distance "hello" is about all we do.

We went camping with family up to Bend Oregon a number of months ago (before the fires) and wore masks even with our camping family.

As long as you take all precautions and distance yourself you should be OK. Granted it is safer to just stay home which is what we do every day. I still like to get out and camp once in awhile mostly at the ocean as viewing the water just makes me feel good. Need something to feel good about these days!
I agree with JimD. I feel very safe camping. The one problem I have is remembering to put on gloves or my mask. I'm always forgetting and have to run back to the RV for them. . Plus my DW is everybody's best friend and I have to remind her to keep her distance. Other than that it's a great way to get away and stop looking out my window at home.
Al
Al1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 03:39 PM   #17

We have going down to Yuma for 20 years and owen property there but because of the virus we have decided to stay put here in Idaho. There numbers are one of the highest in the country. And the hospital is most likely over run. Hoping for better times. Will spend some time doing mods to the Jayco this winter
Stay well folks.
hwy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:21 PM   #18

covid 19

We just finished a 6 week trip out west and plan to travel to Texas for the winter. We found that most campgrounds take all the information by phone and many just leave you your entrance map and packet on the outside of the office so there is no contact. Once in Texas we plan on quarantining for the 10-14 days. Then it's pretty much the same as up north with where you go grocery store etc. Also being south we won't have the visits from our children and grandchildren who are impossible not to hug. As stated in other posts, at least it is warm and we can sit outside in nice weather.
wersqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 04:27 PM   #19

I would say go but use commonsense precautions. Where a mask when you're going to be in close proximity to others, stay away from crowds and practice good hand hygiene.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #20

South Fl here, I might be going out to Peoria AZ in January to see my father who has leukemia, and doesn’t look like he has much more time on this earth. Hope I can make the RV trip, book places to stay along my rout and not get stopped by the covid Gestapo for entering different states with FL plates!. Terrible timing with all of this! Don’t know what’s going to happen! Sorry to hijack original post, but will there be availability in mid to late January going out west? Don’t know what else to do, if I fly that’s 2 weeks in quarantine before I can even think of seeing him! And I don’t want to put him at risk!
Johnynorthland is offline   Reply With Quote