Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-01-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Interstate 40 NewMexico TRAVEL ALERT

New Mexico governor orders roads closed to city of Gallup

Beginning noon Friday, all roads into the city were shut down and businesses were required to close from 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. in the city of 70,000. Additionally, only two people are allowed in a vehicle at the same time.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/new...navirus-spread
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 08:01 PM   #2

Jawohl, mein Herr!
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:49 PM   #3
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
Jawohl, mein Herr!
Snarky response and if you were really aware of the current problems with the virus and the problems the Navajo were having you might reconsider that.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 06:54 AM   #4

Its time for citizens to take back our Country! These politicians are drunk on power. People need to make decisions for their safety, not politicians in a free society. 2 people in a car, really?
2016 Jayco Seneca 37FS
2016 Chevrolet Traverse
2018 Cheverolet Silverado
rgolding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #5
RPR

Problem is not all but some citizens are not being or acting in intelligently ways.
RPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Its time for citizens to take back our Country!

Had those citizens acted responsibly to **their fellow citizens**, this would be completely unnecessary.

It's the classic "your right to swing your arm stops when it gets to my nose..."
Old 05-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #7
CAG

Perhaps I can explain this one a little better. Now I understand that some think that they are being put upon by states taking some actions to limit the spread. You have the right to feel how you want with that and of course voice those feelings. This situation is a little different.

1. Gallup is pretty much surrounded by the Navajo Nation.
2. Almost all of the business conducted in Gallup is Navajo.
3. The Nation is just that, a sovereign government.
4. The Navajos have a very serious outbreak of Covid-19
5. They have instituted road blocks and a curfew on the Nation.
6. Many on the Nation do not have running water in their homes and other sanitary conditions so the virus is spreading rather than flattening.

Gallup has taken steps to protect those that live there from those that are not following Navajo Nation directives and coming in off of the Reservation.

You can take back any part of the country you feel you are able to but this is not the same situation and try as you will you will not be doing that on the Navajo Nation or any other reservation for that matter.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:54 AM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	LOL.jpeg
Views:	11
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	58350
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolding View Post
Its time for citizens to take back our Country! These politicians are drunk on power. People need to make decisions for their safety, not politicians in a free society. 2 people in a car, really?
What a dumb response!
Old 05-02-2020, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Now I understand that some think that they are being put upon by states taking some actions to limit the spread.
Feeling "put upon" is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone's situation is different. Thank the Lord, I don't have this issue, but there are people that cannot work, to earn money, to put food on the table and pay rent.
Old 05-02-2020, 10:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
Feeling "put upon" is in the eye of the beholder. Everyone's situation is different. Thank the Lord, I don't have this issue, but there are people that cannot work, to earn money, to put food on the table and pay rent.
x2
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:09 AM   #12

the reason I posted this... is because a lot of people are traveling I-40 and Gallup is a primary stopping point for fuel and food. If you are coming on 491, you will be turned around just south of Gamerco and not permitted to merge onto I-40. If you need Fuel, you need to find it before you reach Gallup.

Friends updated me this morning - you can pass thru on I-40, but not get off. This is a very popular route we take every year... Check for updates frequently.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post

So they can die, or worse, cause someone's else's death? Stupid is as stupid does.

pward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 11:46 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
So they can die, or worse, cause someone's else's death? Stupid is as stupid does.
Yes, everything is a simple either, or question in some people's mind.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #15

Thanks CAG for the explanation. Many seem to be unaware of the conditions some First Nations live in. Nor do they understand the necessity of intergenerational living among the less affluent.

And the less affluent have of course the riskiest jobs.

If you have an RV you are blessed. Be grateful. If you need money sell it.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 12:11 PM   #16

First, I-40 was never closed at Gallup, Gallup was closed. You could merrily drive by the town on I-40, but you could not go into town. It has been explained by others that Gallup is essentially surrounded by the Navajo Nation. It's important to understand the term "nation" as used here. This is Navajo land, it is in the USA but belongs to, is controlled by, managed by, and ruled by the Navajo tribe. This is what's left of what was their land before the Europeans came and took it away from them. Not to get into a discussion of who took what from whom, but it is worth noting that people have been taking land from other people since the Neanderthals and probably before that. The native reservations are a poor attempt at justice to the natives. This is not the US government or the government of NM usurping your ability to visit Gallup, but an acknowledgment that the Navajo's who own the surrounding land have the right to request that we respect their rights and give them a chance to get a grip on Covid-19.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
New Mexico governor orders roads closed to city of Gallup

Beginning noon Friday, all roads into the city were shut down and businesses were required to close from 5 p.m. until 8 a.m. in the city of 70,000. Additionally, only two people are allowed in a vehicle at the same time
Where do we drop the kids?
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #18

So reading this I feel the need to jump in.....
I fully understand that your age, income, race, financial situation and much more influence how you view the social distancing measures and economic shutdown/slowdown.
Need to make two points.
1. Unlike your right not to wear a motorcycle helmet, where your risky behavior endangers only you, your failure to wear a mask or flaunt social distancing protocols endangers everyone.... especially the old, sick and poor. Selfish and inconsiderate.
2. I respect your right to protest the shutdowns....just don't wrap yourself in the American flag and talk about freedom and patriotism when you do it. We are at war. People are dying and the economy is getting crushed. Disregarding social distancing and not wearing a mask is aiding and abetting the enemy. Doesn't make you a patriot.....makes you a traitor.

Jay Flight 175RD Baja Edition
2017 RAM 1500 4x4 Hemi
e2 Fastway WDH
rtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:12 PM   #19

Be careful who you call a traitor. I am following the guidelines but believe the government is trampling all over the Constitution. This virus has not been nearly as bad as we were warned it would be. The government has a responsibility to warn us of possible disaster but no authority to confine me to my home or prohibit me from assembling with like minded individuals. I respect the right of businesses to refuse me service for not wearing a mask. I took several oaths to defend the Constitution and I take great offense at being called a traitor.
cluedigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #20
CAG

Traitor is a pretty strong word and not one that really fits this thread. The thread had to do with traffic in and around Gallup. If you are not aware of the issue with the Navajo Nation and the virus you should educate yourself and stick to that issue and not wander off to whom is trampling on who's rights. You do not have the same rights on the Navajo Nation.

The Navajo Nation has now passed the entire state of Arizona for deaths and infected per capata. The Nation has 175K residents. Arizona's population is over 5 million. Gallup is surrounded by the Navajo Nation and a major commercial center for the natives on the Nation. Many are employed at businesses in Gallup. What happens on the Nation has a major effect on the city of Gallup.

Bottom line to this is this is not life under Covid 19 as in the rest of the country. The Navajo's can make what-ever rules they want. They are not governed by the US. Gallup needs to do whatever it can to protect it's citizens.

This is not a debate of rights in New York City or Kentucky or God forbid California. It is a different world here.