Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-12-2020, 09:26 PM   #1

Should I Travel During Covid 19: Some Information

We just returned from a 3 week 6 state trip. We are both in the high risk group and take the pandemic seriously. We decided to take the trip and observe how risky other's behaviors might be; we would decide each day whether to continue. We know of 4 people whom have died from Covid, none had "prior conditions."
This is our experience. We have no medical knowledge, just some common sense. This post is for your information only, as we observed many questions on forums in regard to "should we or shouldn't we." Finally, please don't post any political rants, we are not interested. This is our experience and if it helps you decide then we've accomplished something.
Things that had major impacts:
1. "Everyone" was practicing social distancing, whether wearing masks or not. People are trying. When we arrived at campgrounds, all required masks indoors, though not all enforced it. In all but 2 campgrounds the staff was wearing masks at check-in, but in the 2 "no mask" cases, they were clearly trying to separate themselves by at least "6 feet."
2. We met 2 nurses traveling; both had very impactful stories of their job, the hospitals they worked, and some strong comments about "non-believers." They both were traveling with their partners and their conclusion was that it was safer for them to travel than to work at the hospital. They were very strict about observing masks and social distancing. They both believed that if we practiced common sense we would be fine. They both did actually warn us to be cautious in any gift shops or enclose areas.
3. 2 different couples had parents die of Covid within a month of their trip. Both parents had other conditions and were of advanced age. Their conclusion, just do any activity as safe as possible. We had "social distancing" discussions at our sites.
4. Gas stations provided the most challenging conditions. Some people just didn't care to practice any protective measures. My wife never left the car and when I did have to enter a building it was with mask on and I waited patiently until I could "feel safe."
5. Campgrounds: There were some very strong believers that Covid is a hoax, is overblown, and political. In every single case, these people showed the courtesy to others and practiced social distancing, some even wore masks.
6. National Parks/Entertainment Venues: At every stop, attraction we attended, or "view areas" people were practicing social distancing. The only "bad" experience I had was at Mount Rushmore. The gift shop was closing and you would have thought that some of the people were more concerned about the object they wanted to purchase than their heath. I just waited patiently while the clerks rolled their eyes...I still was able to purchase our items a few minutes after the store officially closed. They stopped letting people in and took care of every person who was still in the store.
Our conclusion is that it is no more risky for us to travel than it is to maintain life at home, if you are venturing out at all. We go to the grocery store, Home Depot, Landscape supply companies etc. In Silicon Valley, where we live, people's conduct is much more challenging than we found on the road.
We will be planning to leave on another trip very soon. We hope this helps those who are trying to decide.
States: California, Nevada, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:40 PM   #2

Thank you for that great information and the only thing holding us back is what happens if one of us gets sick while on the road. Other concern now are the fires in the PNW that are totally out of control.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Thank you for that great information and the only thing holding us back is what happens if one of us gets sick while on the road. Other concern now are the fires in the PNW that are totally out of control.
As of September 9th, Washington State is not on NY's list of quarantine states. Come on over!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
As of September 9th, Washington State is not on NY's list of quarantine states. Come on over!
Can’t win now we’re on fire watch here and DW still won’t fly to the house and I don’t feel like taking the trailer across the country.
Old 09-12-2020, 10:45 PM   #5
Site Team

I do understand. Just be safe out there.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:46 AM   #6
Site Team

Thanks for the report!

We took a 3 week trip in July and really enjoyed it. Much better that staying home. We found the same type mixed acceptance of some guidelines. We did notice them being enforced by merchants. Most were trying to keep their head above water with all the loss of revenue. At the cg, we were just as socially distant as anywhere else.
After being at home for August and September we have watched 7 seasons of Heartland on Netflix, got Yard Of the Month and fixed everything that was broken here and cleaned out the garage a few times, so we are headed out again for 3 more weeks, Exciting times.

Our church is trying to get going using social distancing and disinfecting procedures that are recommended with limited success.

Tough times but we are optimistic for some reason. My wifes mother is is an assisted living facility and not being able to visit her in person for over 6 months has been very stressful on us but they have had NO covid deaths at the facility.
Then there is the Hurricane season that we are always dealing with this time of year.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:00 AM   #7

We are planning a southern route to Nevada at the end of January. We have been vacationing in our home state most of the summer. We live in a tourist area and the states largest RV dealer has an overflow lot nearby.. Last year there were about 500 units in the lot. This last week they are down to one.. Lonely little R Pod. You can't buy anything recreational ..kayaks are gone. Even tents are gone. We went to look at a 212 QB Friday morning. The dealer had called Thursday night to say he had one in.. We went at 10 AM Fri. The unit had already been snapped up.

Oh well this will give us time to upgrade the truck. We have an old Forester that while it runs well and needs no repairs is getting rattly.

I expect a flood of resales in the next couple of years.

We staycationed because our in state campgrounds needed some visitors. Most are pretty empty because most visitors from out of state are required to quarantine. Yes it is relatively safe here but we also did not want to have to barricade ourselves in the house for two weeks after traveling out of state.

Now that we have covered pretty much all of Maine we will be ready for warm weather. While we have had hot spells for a few days its been overall cool but incredibly dry.
The animals are telling us a hard winter is coming. The loons rafted up early and the geese are going. But no snow quite yet. Temps at night getting near freezing. highs about 65.

While we do prefer that all wear masks we are not panicking if they don't if we are a bit away from them or interacting for a few seconds. It happens.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #8

X2 on the fires. We had to cut our trip short due to campground in Northern CA being closed. We experienced smoke in South Dakota due to the Montana fires and from the moment we hit Fernley Nevada we had smoke till we got back to SF Bay Area.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:45 AM   #9

In front of my friends car going into SanFrancisco straight ahead ( yes, it’s really dead ahead) and you can see the ash falling like rain.
Attached Thumbnails
E1984F90-C9B0-40B0-B456-45EF3096928F.jpg  
Old 09-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #10
Site Team

Three of my cousins live in the Sacramento, Folsom, and El Dorado Hills areas. They have remarked that due to the fires, this is some of the worst air quality that they have experienced since they moved there in the early '70's.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:33 AM   #11
Site Team

My wife's family left LA in the late 60's because she suffered from Asthma since birth. Moving to Virginia and no more problems. That was 50 years ago, I can't imagine what it's like now even without the fires.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 09-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #12
CAG

My cousin who lives just outside Portland said that they were worried that the smoke detectors in the house were going to go off and set off the sprinklers system.

Sorry, this was Covid and somehow turned into fires.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 10:49 AM   #13

Great information, JW!

We're on the second to last day of our trip to Charleston/Savannah (Hey, Norty!). Similar findings to the above - lots of mask-wearing, unless outside and there is plenty of distancing available. Folks are very respectful of boundaries; if you're of a mind to travel, just keep your masks handy and be careful!

Mickey
MRichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:31 AM   #14

We've spent 53 nights in the camper this year and never left the state of Kansas. We had trips planned to Colorado and two trips to southern Missouri/Arkansas and ended up canceling all three.

We do most of our camping in Osage County, KS, population about 11,000. We feel safer there than at home in metro KC.

Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions.

KCSA75 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:58 PM   #15

I believe Covid is real but refuse to let it run my life. I am in a high risk group but I use common sense and social distance when I can and wear a mask indoors when I can’t. If I am on a hiking trail by myself I don’t wear a mask. Not sure why others do if you can maintain distance when approaching others. I don’t get offended when wearing a mask and others are not. I do shake my head seeing people wear a mask walking to the mailbox or driving in a car by themself though.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
I believe Covid is real but refuse to let it run my life. I am in a high risk group but I use common sense and social distance when I can and wear a mask indoors when I can’t. If I am on a hiking trail by myself I don’t wear a mask. Not sure why others do if you can maintain distance when approaching others. I don’t get offended when wearing a mask and others are not. I do shake my head seeing people wear a mask walking to the mailbox or driving in a car by themself though.
Same here We are over 65 . What concerns me most about long distance travel is campgrounds being forced to close due to a surge in cases. i dont want to vacation in Walmart parking lots.
We were due ti head West last Mar 19 and on the 15th the manure hit the spreader so that was scuttled. We wanted to go to Death Valley but going there in the summer after things had settled a bit was not appealing
So we will try again in Jan
Not really worried We are not very gregarious nor bar attendees
Pfflyer our neighbors tried to have us over for a bbq but the virus dance drove me crazy
They cringed when we got within 10 feet
All they talk about is the virus. Its going to get them.
In our area within 30 miles we have had one case . Someone got it in Las Vegas in May. We are pretty rural
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #17
Site Team

We have been pretty careful so as not to get exposed because my wife has not been allowed to see her mother in person since early March. If they ever get the bureaucratic roadblocks out of the way, we will have to be tested before being allowed in.

We don't let it ruin our life but we do take precautions and avoid places that don't.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 09-13-2020, 07:55 PM   #18

Im in the minority here on this one (at least with the consensus of comments to this point in the thread). We've been out camping several times since Memorial weekend. We've been to six or seven campgrounds and at least three more trips to go by mid October, all here in Michigan. It's mostly a pre-covid atmosphere at the campgrounds I've been at. I'll see an occasional mask wearer in the restrooms is about all.

I'm 61 and don't wear a mask. I had to draw a line in the sand on that one since I don't ever see the CDC or WHO ever telling us not to wear one. I expect them to at least tell me to keep one in my back pocket for emergencies.

I don't shame those who do wear them. I keep a comfortable distance from others except when lined up at the urinals or sinks in the campground restrooms. I've shared conversations, picnic tables, food, handshakes and hugs with people I'll never see again. None wore masks. None cared to.

We fostered and adopted three children who are 11, 10 and 5-1/2. They pile on the playground equipment with all the other kids. I've pushed 8-10 kids on merry-go-rounds fast enough to throw kids off, only to see them pile back on next to each other for another round of who can hang on the longest.

I'm in a state where mask wearing is mandated by executive order from the governor. The governor and I just disagree at the moment on what she thinks is a necessity for me. I am courteous in my social contacts, aware of others needs and desires for spacing and respect those who want to wear a mask. I even keep one in my pocket for special occasions. I'm just not going to wear one at this time. I already did my part to successfully flatten the curve back in April and May as they requested by wearing one then.

This has made enemies out of strangers who think everyone else is sick and/or contagious. I still like to see people smile so I smile and say, "Hello" to strangers all the time, looking for a return on my effort. [emoji16]

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:42 PM   #19

We have not stopped traveling but we are selective on where we go. We are currently in a state that allows local officials manger things based on their situation. At breakfast everyone was wearing a mask. At dinner in a different county next to nobody was wearing a mask. Traveling back home tomorrow and Tuesday and then on the road again the beginning of October.
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 09:34 AM   #20

Covid precautions

We picked up our new qb212 on September 25th. Traveled to Pa., Foxboro, Mass , Portland, Freeport and Bar Harbor Maine. Then to Hilton Head Island.

Most of the time, most people were wearing masks, or social distancing. Indoors we
encountered about 75/25 split between mask or no mask.Downtown Bar Harbor was very busy. Way too many people not wearing a mask.

Most people were a bit more cautious at gas stations, rest stops, etc.

I'm 72, a disabled Vietnam Vet and have Parkinsons. My family is being very careful. We all wear masks when around others, keep a bottle of sanitizer with us at all times and keep at least six feet away from others.Even with these precautions, 5 family members have been exposed and quarantined.

At this stage, I am able to do pretty much anything I want to do physically. I hope to have more time to travel. Looks like the window is closing rapidly.

This morning, more than 160,000 new cases of covid were reported. All the science and mathematical models point to an uncontrolled explosion of new cases in the comming weeks.

We're trying to balance science and maintain a reasonable lifestyle that includes traveling safely.

The answer is simple: wear a mask, wash and sanitize your hands and keep a safe distance from others. Respect others safety along with yours. At least, keep an open mind and be informed.
Jacjayco is offline   Reply With Quote