Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-04-2021, 11:19 PM   #1

2008 Coach Battery Compartment Latch

I have a 2008 Seneca 35GS and I'm replacing the coach batteries with lithium but I now want to make that compartment lockable due to the cost of the batteries, as was suggested by the battery manufacturer. The current latch has a blank cover over what I'd guess you'd call the lock cylinder tube. Is it possible to pop off that cover and a lock cylinder like what's in all the other latches be put in to make it lockable? And if so, where can I buy the lock cylinders? Or do I have to buy a whole new latch / lock mechanism?

Thanks
mprosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 06:31 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprosser View Post
I have a 2008 Seneca 35GS and I'm replacing the coach batteries with lithium but I now want to make that compartment lockable due to the cost of the batteries, as was suggested by the battery manufacturer. The current latch has a blank cover over what I'd guess you'd call the lock cylinder tube. Is it possible to pop off that cover and a lock cylinder like what's in all the other latches be put in to make it lockable? And if so, where can I buy the lock cylinders? Or do I have to buy a whole new latch / lock mechanism?

Thanks
When I replaced mine I had to buy a whole new latch. They should be BAUER.
Old 06-05-2021, 06:52 AM   #3

These are the locks on my 2020 Accolade. They are Southco Push to Close llatches.

https://southco.com/en_us_int/latche...Paddle+-+Front
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #4

I think battery door lock is left off intentionally so that access is available in case a fire breaks out.
Superseneca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:08 PM   #5

Yes, I know... but with $1000 dollar batteries in there... too easy a target. The previous owner of our Seneca already had a short circuit in there that caused the chassis solenoid and a bunch of the wires in there to burn and melt... and they fixed it with electrical tape and for one of the smaller wires, they used speaker wire! So I got rid of all the cheesy factory wiring and replaced and rewired the whole battery bay so it's better than new. I feel that it's a safer design now and the way it should have been done. (I'll post a photo of what I did later) And I'm replacing the flooded batteries with lithium... so that's why I want to lock it now.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:35 AM   #6

New units have lockable latches now. Only the propane door is non lockable. Did you build a surround for the batteries or are they in an open bay?
RVermont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 05:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
New units have lockable latches now. Only the propane door is non lockable. Did you build a surround for the batteries or are they in an open bay?
That is correct. My 2020 has the batteries in a lockable compartment right behind the driver's door.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 06:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVermont View Post
The bay is not sealed off from dust / moisture, but can't be accessed physically from bottom or sides if that's what you mean.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:55 AM   #9

Hello. I recently took several of my storage door lock handles off to clean and lube them to function better. Is switching the lock handle from the wet bay with the battery door not an option you'd be interested in?
JmsNMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:01 PM   #10

Would you mind giving me the specific model #s of the lithium batteries your purchased?
Were they about the same size? Did you buy them online or local?
Thanks,
Damian Neeld
Carmel, IN
2018.5 Seneca
dneeld52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 02:44 AM   #11

Quote:
I had to change a few of mine when I bought it as the original owner never locked it and some of them were inoperable for locking purposes.

You need FIC Replacement Locking Baggage Door by Global.

https://www.rvshop.com/FIC-Replaceme...6_p_78576.html

The nice thing is that if you know your existing key code, you might be able to order one to match.

All of my compartments can be locked when in storage but when in use I leave the battery, generator and propane compartments unlocked for quick access safety.
Sony STR-DH590 for surround sound
LED headlights
KilMat on the cab floor & AutoDrive Center Console
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:16 AM   #12

I think that's where I ended up getting the latch. I also see you have a scan gauge on your Seneca... On the older coaches like ours, I didn't think those would work without the right OBD port. But looks like you are. Can you elaborate how it works on your Seneca?
Thanks
Old 01-04-2022, 09:53 AM   #13

Quote:
I think that's where I ended up getting the latch. I also see you have a scan gauge on your Seneca... On the older coaches like ours, I didn't think those would work without the right OBD port. But looks like you are. Can you elaborate how it works on your Seneca?
Thanks
The "PORT" is under the dash, it's the standard LML Duramax port. Had one on our 08 an it worked fine.
Old 01-04-2022, 10:51 AM   #14

Hey, thanks Grumpy.
I will look into the scangauge then.
Old 01-11-2022, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
I also see you have a scan gauge on your Seneca... On the older coaches like ours, I didn't think those would work without the right OBD port. But looks like you are. Can you elaborate how it works on your Seneca?
The ScanGauge is completely plug & play on my 2008. I mounted the gauge on the dash and ran the wire behind everything for a cleaner install. It did require drilling a hole in the dash, the size of the RJ connector, for where I wanted it mounted but it's completely covered by the gauge.

There's a lot of nice options on the ScanGauge and I'm very happy with it.
Sony STR-DH590 for surround sound
LED headlights
KilMat on the cab floor & AutoDrive Center Console
JoeyNick is offline   Reply With Quote